I'm a complete cure convert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a complete cure convert

I have now cured my RQS Northern Light (singular, indeed) for nine weeks; it's amazing. Or, at least I'm perceiving it as amazing. It's far, far better than decarbing it in my Nova after 10 days of curing.

Embarrassing to admit, but this is the first time I've really cured properly. I did a lot of things differently:
    1. Slower and longer drying period. Now I can see that I was always putting it in the jar before it was really dry on the outside, and although I never got mold, I had to handle the buds more by taking out and putting back into jars.
    2. I used to always throw in Boveda paks as soon as jars hit 63 RH or so. I didn't do that this time.
    3. Nine weeks into cure, no jar is below 60 or above 63. I burp weekly. This is the first time I've kept track of the RH for an extended period of time (vs. just throwing in the Boveda).
    4. Everything that Nebula says in her tutorial is true: it's amazing all the metabolism and distribution of moisture that keeps going on, how the aromas and appearance of the buds continue to change, and if I take a bud out of the jar and gently squeeze it, it's absolutely perfect: pliable, glistening in the light, dry with just the right amount of moisture left.
    5. I think the NL is some of the strongest ganja I've grown to date. My vaping buddy agrees that it's pretty fuckin strong. And I will carry the message forwrd to all who care to listen: A real cure is truly essential for the most powerful bud. Although it might just be my stoned perception of the situation...
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

I'm going to do the experiment on my next batch at different cure times and see what I think, I will use the same pipe for each try, I've noticed that the high seems different "stronger/weaker" depending on what pipe I use, I will use my 8" bong, 1 or 2 hits and I'm euphoric for an hour or so then the couch lock kicks in. With my other regular pipes the euphoric part is shorter and not nearly as strong. Or maybe my just my perception. who knows lol. Thanks for all your research, it always gets me thinking.
    Born August 1956.

Coco-Coir/Perlite Mix
    Mega Crop Nutrients, Bud Explosion.
    36"x36"x73" Grow Tent
    4 bulb T5's for Veg.
    2 VipraSpectra 450 LED for flowering
    IPower 4" Exhaust and Scrubber
    3 Gallon fabric pots.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      alltatup your right , a long slow dry, is the way to go, imo . Experimenting is how you figure it out. Before long you want even need the Bovedas,
      NLights is one of my favorites of all time. I don't know about perceived, but it sure seems more potent, to me and my smoking buddies. after its been in jars a couple of months.
      HappySmoking

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      D.A.A.S.69 I just can't believe it took this long. But it's all part of the learning curve. The Nova decarbed bud is pretty good, but not like the cured. The high is so much fuller, richer.

uncledoug I totally respect those who smoke, but have you ever tried a really good vaporizer? When you smoke, you destroy at least half of the chemicals with fire. I think the estimate between 66-75%, but who knows. I remember smokiing a lot of joints, though, and not getting near as I as I get from vaping with a good vape--not a shitty vape.

• uncledoug
      uncledoug commented
      Editing a comment
      alltatup, No I haven't tried a really good vape, I have a Flowermate V5.0, it works but not as good as a regular pipe.

Haha. Great things come to those who long cure. 😤
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Couple months in a jar makes great effing weed .

Comment

Slow cure, it’s like a predictable outcome for better weed and it seems longer😎 the cure the better the bud, much better !

Comment

Hi Teach!
          Saw your post and had to throw in.

a brother of mine has been working a little with another grower for a bit now and curing came up in conversation. he couldnt see the point in taking all that time and work to cure, his buddys smoke was just great after a slow dry. simple.
          he came out to visit recently and i pulled a jar out of the cabinet and we smoked. afterward i told him that jar of buds was over a year old. fkn blew him away.
          he inspected the jar again, the buds still spongy and sticky, still pungent and funky, and obviously still potent. even the color was only faded a little, still mostly green.

just shows differences in growers needs. his buddy grows for profit and has no real reason to cure. his weed only has to be perfect for a few weeks then its gone.
          i grow for a very small circle non profit. so when i put up a couple pounds, it needs to last many months!

All i can say is thank GWE for all the detailed tutorials!!!

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            IGH Nah, commercial growers don't have the time. And I've tried some decent bud from CO brought down here to the dirty south: some of it was decent, but it was all dry as hell and nothing compared to home grown. And then to cure it!!! But all this takes some planning, so I distributed some of what I harvested in Nov among friends and I made sure to keep enough to get me through to sometime in May. I will harvest current grow in April, and then I want to give most of what I harvest at least 2 months' cure. Us connoiseurs really have to plan ahead!!!

/Lurking sighs

I haven't managed to harvest enough yet to actually properly cure my buds (they seem to go up in smoke, a few days after they were jarred) I think the longest I have managed to actually keep it jarred was 2 weeks, but even with that, I could see, smell, feel the difference after those few days curing.

looking forward to next year - I fully expect to be able to pull a jar out that says LoJ - harvest: March 2K19 (maybe April)
          granted, it will only be that one jar (because I am going to hide it )

I enjoy smoking joints, always have - the whole 'ritual' of grinding/fluffing, rolling. I find it calming and relaxing, maybe its foreplay - before smoking the joint (sometimes a joint, is just a joint). folks always complained 'lurking rolls to slow', but nobody complained about my joints falling apart or canoeing

your (pro-vape) post had inspired me to dig out mine (a couple years old Grenco Science - early model G Pro)
          at the time, I wanted a vaporizer - but wasn't willing to drop the 500-600 on a volcano - so spent almost 200 on this pen.
          Didn't really bother learning how to use it - so it ended up in the box, with all the other failed paraphernalia/gadgetry

LOL - the chamber still had an uncooked load in it
          cleaned it all up, and have it charging now

green thoughts for all
          Click image for larger version  Name:	ganjamon.gif Views:	10 Size:	8.4 KB ID:	285331
          Last edited by LurkingInTheGrass; 01-20-2019, 12:57 PM. Reason: modified model: from G Pen to G Pro

Comment

• PRIMO
            PRIMO commented
            Editing a comment
            I saw a site selling ol snoop dogs G-pen for $17.00 the other day. I remember seeing them inna store for a buck fifty a few years ago. Get really ripped before you hide your jar of bud. Then years from now when you find it, you be all "HOLY CRAP !!"
            Last edited by PRIMO; 01-20-2019, 01:21 PM.

• LurkingInTheGrass
            LurkingInTheGrass commented
            Editing a comment
            thank you so much - I much prefer 'ceremony'. way closer than 'ritual' (and not as loaded)

Ahh, youth is wasted on the young.
            when I read Shogun, I was fascinated with the chanoyu (tea ceremony) and had gone and read about it, and filed it away into the corners of my mind. until today - a memory floats to the surface

"All movements of the host, during the chanoyu are to be performed with mindful intention"
            I know I didn't understand it then, but do now

In the back of my mind, I have always wanted to go to Japan and experience a tea ceremony. You just saved me thousands of dollars, by pointing out all the little ceremonies in my grow room

/lurking takes a hit...
            ...and starts thinking about the ceremonies outside of the grow room (feels guilty about not enough mindfulness and and intention)
            /lurking takes another hit...
            ...thoughts turn out to be too large, and he ends up on youtube, looking at cat videos

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            LurkingInTheGrass OMG do you know Maru the cat? --hits the vape pen--I watch him every day with mindfulness and intention and he soothes my soul, always makes me laugh, provides scientific evidence of reincarnation, and puts me at peace with the world.

--changes the old crucible in the vape and hits a few times--muses on the path chosen by the wandering man:

"Yes, lurking grasshopper, you have acquired some wisdom on your journies all around the grow room; remember, it is all smoking bud and carrying water: there is nothing else... --hits the vape, thinks this entire stoner deliberation is silly bullshit, but resolves to hit the Post button anyway as a mindful, intentional act.

Alltatup,

How long will you continue to burp the jars weekly ? Is there a point when its not required ?
          Do you use your Ardent prior to the Source Turbo ?

Comment

• Toker1
            Toker1 commented
            Editing a comment
            It really depends on how it is being stored. I agree with D.A.A.S.69 after a month or two, it most cases can be stored long term with out further air exchange. What you need to consider is the RH in the place where you are storing the dry weed. This in can have an affect of your previously dry weed. In other words... if you dry the weed to 62% RH....then attempt to store the dry weed in a 70% RH room, you might find the need to dry the weed out again. If not the dry weed can can become re-moistened and risk mold all over again. Even inside a vacuum sealed bag, the dry weed can still absorb moisture.

• Farmall
            Farmall commented
            Editing a comment
            Well I’m in week 6.... I get a great exotic aroma when I open the jars. Different than anything else I’ve tested for scent and aroma

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            Farmall That's awesome!! keep waiting. I'm in week 12 now--I can't believe it--and the aromas are incredible.

If you need something decarbed, the Source won't do it; it only goes up to around 105 degrees F. So for tincture, decarb first

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Fast forward to today- I'm looking to ways to improve my long term storage process- beyond 6 months.
          I have looked at the Curidor, but unable to get any company response (from their website communication system) on how humidity is controlled- which would differentiate it from a wine fridge/cooler.

I have no issues with heat year round for current storage - however the long term effects of Boveda comes into question a lot- in my research.

I'm considering removing the Boveda after a couple of months.
          It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
          http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

• Weed Pharma
            Weed Pharma commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the info- The only place I fall short is the temps lower than 68f for long term storage.
            I'm not convinced Boveda helps a lot in my climate.
            I do like it to rejunvenate dry weed, but not sure it needs to stay in the jars once stablized.

• Toker1
            Toker1 commented
            Editing a comment
            No...it really doesn’t. The jars do provide a bit of humidity control. But not everyone uses them.

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm a bit off the Bovedas right now: I do think they affect the smell of the bud. Nebula talks about long-term storage in the freezer here: https://www.growweedeasy.com/how-to-...t-stays-potent

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X