No announcement yet.

The Shady Side of Legal Cannabis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update regarding the original purpose of this thread (third hand information but an interesting story nonetheless). An acquaintance of an acquaintance who is also a fellow commercial grower was at a dispensary making a sales call about a month ago. He didn't have product yet but had gone there just to introduce himself and begin forming a relationship. He introduced himself to the dispensary manager and they apparently talked for a little while on the sales floor about strains and harvest times, etc. As that grower was leaving he was followed out of the dispensary by another person. That person confronted him and told him that he needed to not come back because this dispensary was 'his turf' and he needed to go find another dispensary to sell to out of his grow. I take the story with a grain of salt as it has gone through at least two different mouths before getting to me, but it is an interesting story.

Comment

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      And it really fits, there is to this day a lot of mafia here, and you can bet your _____ they are going to be getting on board and doing legal grows. I would not take it lightly, nor would I back down, hell I would have went right back in and offered them a deal to get rid of the other person!.

Interesting & I hope that isn't true... it doesn't say much for the "community" as an integrated whole working together for the future of the industry. More like paranoia about making their investment back and the profits they hoped to achieve.
    This isn't a "fast money" industry. As you know it takes a substantial investment with a somewhat unpredictable outcome. Once the industry gets going there in Oklahoma those who "grow together" will be the ones who survive. Growers like the one outside that dispensary, should there be some, will get "black listed" by all those in the business.

Dispensaries want to be able to provide a wide variety of products, new ones to try_ new strains, new extracts and edibles, etc...but they also want to have a decent supply of the well known traditional strains a lot of people ask for because they've heard of them or tried them before.
    No one grower is going to be able to supply that kind of service_ unless they have a lot of experience, a very large grow space and can harvest at least a variety of strains 3x/year. My daughter works as the manager for a dispensary chain in Portland and they have about a dozen growers they buy from at any one time_ just so they can complete with the other dispensaries.
    They won't work with growers that try to push others out of the way_ its extremely counter productive to alienate those who are keeping you in business... so dispensaries work at developing relationships with those who deserve their respect and are able to work with others. And some grow some of their own strains as well!
    Current grow_ coco based medium, Fluence LED lights, AIT, 5 gallon planters,
    liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      The mafia is certainly alive and doing well here in Oklahoma, and it will be a fight to take our state from them! First big step is do not buy brick weed!

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Rwise The Mafia in OK?????? Will wonders never cease!!! Gone are the days of Tony Soprano and the old neighborhood...

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      Dont think they are gone, but they work differently today,, there is still the strong arming,,,
      Remember Cleo Epps? (did I spell that correct?) That was about a mile from here

Ok new laws have been signed, any idea where I can find them? It has been all over the propaganda, but I want to read it for myself! What I hear is mostly what I have been expecting, but what else is in there?

At the dispensary, there was little knowledge of the product, no THC level, No CBD level, etc.~ no lab test results, no grower info~ sold in a plain jane baggie for at least $250 an oz. Not what I expected at all for "medical"!

Comment

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL, I am in Oklahoma

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      I know!!!!!!

• ZigZag
      ZigZag commented
      Editing a comment
      Alaska also has been rec legal now for about two years. At first you could go to the official website and get different regulations_ it was very confusing,Now they seem to have everything straightened out. 6 plants/ household up to 12 if there is a second adult in the same household. 1 once in possession off your property and ok to give away up to an ounce. They seem to be getting pretty close to making it legal to partake if you are in a dispensary_ like they'd have a "tasting" room where you could try different strains before you buy. At least in Anchorage. They tried a year back but it didn't pass...looks like it might this year. Time will tell. Hope everything comes together for you folks sooner than not. Fingers crossed for you folks!

This came from a dispensary in my state. What is the medicinal part? The pesticide or the THC?

Comment

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      Hopefully it has no pesticides!
      The label! (with amounts of THC, CBD etc.) At least it did not come in a sandwich bag!

• ZigZag
      ZigZag commented
      Editing a comment
      WOAH...I've never seen that one before. Sounds like they may just be covering the butts legally but if not...YUK!
      It's pretty strict on the west coast, no way could anyone put a wide open disclaimer like that on a commercially available product.
      Good thing you're growing your own is what I have to say!

• desertdan
      desertdan commented
      Editing a comment
      My state has no standards for pesticides in cannabis. I had heard that many growers were taking advantage of this and ignorance of the consumer. I had to point out the label to my friend who has the card to buy this crap. Get your daily dose of organic and inorganic pesticides right here. yech!!

I do love NM medical programs and local labs, this is just a cartridge, however there are some dispensaries that openly display all the terpenes and pesticides used.
    Grow and good luck
    Current grow:

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...lly-grown-meds

past grows:

http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...2-grow-one-off

http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...hello-everyone

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      How utterly cool is that!!! I love it.

• ZigZag
      ZigZag commented
      Editing a comment
      That's the way it should be everywhere. All dispensaries should train their bud tenders not only about the primary effects of THC and CBD, but also about some of the other cannabinoids, terpenes and even flavonoids so they can make suggestions for specific strains for specific types of effects.
      The difference between a percentage description_ say 21%THC / 1% CBD provides ratios between cannabinoids while the strength can more accurately be provided by providing information on how many milligrams are present in a specific sized sample of product by weight and or volume.
      A dispensaries objective should be to provide customers with as much information as possible about any specific strain so they can make as informed a decision as possible regarding their purchase, as well as what means they can use to consume it.
      They should refuse to purchase product for sale that has any pesticide, herbicide or heavy metals.
      Any responsible dispensary should be held to these standards. IMHO anyway.
      Another good reason to grow your own!

Still waiting for the Garden State to get it's act together, hopefully soon. For what the state is going to tax and charge for Lic. I don't see much of a change from the norm. Do not see many coming above ground because of it ! It's so readily available now why would you change and pay more for less. And you still cannot home grow!

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Colombo Do they take away licenses for alcohol drinkers too? Hahahahaha, how ridiculous.

• Colombo
      Colombo commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes they do , they will attach anything to anything to make money! You can lose you DL for riding a Bicycle at .08 . But then again, it's 2018!

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Colombo Do you mean to tell me that if you drink alcohol, you lose your hunting/firearm priveleges? I find that hard to believe.

"The meeting left me wondering if I should ratchet up my paranoia level."
    Because of the federal banking laws all cannabis business is cash. That is where the biggest danger lies. Its not paranoia when they really are out to get you. Good luck with your business !!
    Focus and relativity.

Comment

• furrysparkle
      furrysparkle commented
      Editing a comment
      Hemp businesses can now use federally banking and even get federal crop insurance.

And to point out that security is needed, 2 15 YOs broke into a grow, it pointed out more problems. It took several hours for it to be determined that this grow is a legal grow!
    Now IF I was a grower, I would be making friends with my local LEOs, (hell they already know me) let them know what I am doing so they can protect me. Also I would post my license, phone number etc. so I could be contacted if any issues arrive. It was several hours before the owner was found.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X