Trimming cotyledon leaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trimming cotyledon leaves

I have been researching lst and other trim techniques. Does any one remove the first two baby leafs when trimming during veg stage? Thanks

Not I - a fellow grower on this forum (who has gone on to be a master grower) once referred to the cotyledon leaves as the brain stem of the plant.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• Canuck147
      Canuck147 commented
      Editing a comment
      Green75 said it.

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      I see, I remember I disagree with a lot of things with him, do you know what happened to him? I remember he and lucky made a YouTube channel but I think he’s still around lurkin. There’s one recent member that reminds me of him a lot... know what I mean??

• Canuck147
      Canuck147 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think he is growing for 'fast buds'.

The first trim, I take them, the first leaves and any growth

they will dry and fall, if you leave them.

Comment

Originally posted by LurkingInTheGrass View Post

they will dry and fall, if you leave them.
      Usually, I just let nature take its course.
      WHAT???
      5x5 grow space
      900w of Vero's and F-strips
      4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

I have always kept mine and wasn't sure if there was a benefit to not having those little bulb leafs. Thanks for the input.

Comment

I dont see any advantage in removing these tiny leafs.

Comment

this last time I waited until I topped to do anything, 6 nodes, then took the bottom nodes and first leaves and the top, leaving 3 nodes. I think by this time those little leaves had already died so they were taken off. I fanned those out with stakes in a sort of manifold beginning and then took off the bottom nodes from those as the grew. now I trim fan leaves every chance I get.

so far so good. huge bushes at almost 6 weeks. I don't know if that counts as taking the brains or not but I don't think this has done anything to hinder growth.

I'm beginning to think that as long as you don't attack your plant too early and get your water/feed & environment right in the beginning so as to nurture a super healthy plant, it doesn't really matter what techniques you use. they'll grow like their genetics have already planned
            complete beginner
            39" x 39" x 78" tent
            315 Watt CMH
            4" Phat Filter w/ 4" Hurricane duct fan
            Automatic top feed into coco.
            Mega Crop nutes

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
              D.A.A.S.69 commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly right, imo.

• 9fingerleafs
              9fingerleafs commented
              Editing a comment
              Gotta agree, the first big main fan leaves are critical for a healthy fast veg

I don't do anything with the cotyledon leaves, when they're no longer of use to the plant they'll die off. No sense in stressing a young plant if you don't need to...
            ****tent (2x4) and large light (Relassy 300W LED) is in storage for now until I can solve some household electrical issues****

CoM Stonington Blend soil, distilled water; Liquid Squid amendment if needed, molasses for flowering

"I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up."

Comment

I have to agree with everyone else_ no reason to take them and there might be one not to. Keeping the large fan leaves, especially at the top half of the plant is real important for maximum growth during veg. Those big fan leaves are what drive growth through the photosynthetic process. I try to keep as many as I can throughout the grow unless they are covering bud sites or not getting much light. Except when I defoliate at the end of veg and after week 3 of flowering. During the last few weeks I take most of the fan leaves from the lower 2/3 and keep those at the top if they aren't shading bud sites. I think it helps fatten up those colas.....
              Current grow_ coco based medium, Fluence LED lights, AIT, 5 gallon planters,
              liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

Have you ever heard the expression coming up by the boot straps? Well those cotyledons to a plant are the boot straps. Don't fug around with them.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X