First grow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First grow

First time grower going for a manifold. Five weeks in so far. Just sharing some photos. Strain is CBD Tonic, which is a cross of Critical Mass and Dieseltonic. Fast grower.

Looking great

Comment

Originally posted by 9fingerleafs View Post
      Looking great
      Thanks! All is going really well so far. Maybe beginners luck. Although I've grown lots of other plants in my day. I got these under COBs 24/0 and on a heat mat. My grow area is too cold to shut lights down during veg without slowing it way down. I'm hoping that my flower doesn't go for many months because without the lights it's gonna get into the low to mid 50's at night come Jan/Feb. I really don't want to run a space heater. I have Jack Herer in the other pots. I have two super dense indica phenotypes, and one that is trending sativa that I had to top early on. Weird how variable the Herer's are. Unless they mixed up some seeds on me.

Comment

• fallenmunk
        fallenmunk commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the welcome! I have several of those oil filled heaters. I used to use them in my reptile breeding room. My electric bill was astronomical, but the sales from the production of baby lizards covered it. Not doing this grow as a business. Just 4 plants to make some CBD oil to help my wife with her symptoms from Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        fallenmunk Damn! I sure hate to hear that about the oil filled heaters; I was hoping that they were energy savers...

I'm wondering, does CBD oil work on EDS pain? Does your wife tolerate THC? Even a little THC present will enhance the CBD.

• fallenmunk
        fallenmunk commented
        Editing a comment
        alltatup Sorry I'm just seeing your last questions. She tried some CBD oil and it helped. I'm not sure if she can tolerate the THC, but we'll see because the strains I'm growing are not pure CBD. We're going to have to experiment with a few strains I think. I tried to sprout a pure CBD strain but got caught by the learning curve on those and they didn't make it. I had to come up with my own way to germinate and get the seedlings off to a good start.

Originally posted by fallenmunk View Post

Thanks! All is going really well so far. Maybe beginners luck. Although I've grown lots of other plants in my day. I got these under COBs 24/0 and on a heat mat. My grow area is too cold to shut lights down during veg without slowing it way down. I'm hoping that my flower doesn't go for many months because without the lights it's gonna get into the low to mid 50's at night come Jan/Feb. I really don't want to run a space heater. I have Jack Herer in the other pots. I have two super dense indica phenotypes, and one that is trending sativa that I had to top early on. Weird how variable the Herer's are. Unless they mixed up some seeds on me.
      Why do not want to start the heater? What is the temperature in your growing area? Like with calcium and magnesium levels? What nutrients do you add?

Comment

A oil filled heating unit costs about fifty bucks and is controlled thurmastaticly and it’s on wheels.it never gets to hot or cold and no red hot glowing metal or chance of burning down the house a + in my book. Lol
        Last edited by Potted; 12-12-2018, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by normanthyra View Post

Why do not want to start the heater? What is the temperature in your growing area? Like with calcium and magnesium levels? What nutrients do you add?
          Extra cost of electricity is what I'm trying to avoid because they are not in a tent, they are in a decent sized room. Temp in my growing room is currently mid 60's to low 70's F, although there is a heated pocket of air around my plants from the lights and heat mat, so they are in the upper 70's F. I'm not running a fan around the plants for that reason so they can stay in that warm pocket of air under the lights. January/February can get pretty cold down there though and historically it gets into the low to mid 50's F, although with the heat mat I think I can keep the actual plants in the 60's at night.

I use dolomite lime in my soil mix for magnesium and calcium and I add a lot of crushed eggshells. I also top dress with crushed eggshells during the grow. For nutes, it's all organic. Soil is a mix of leaf mold, compost, perlite, worm castings, insect frass, micronized volcanic minerals, pumice granules, biochar, greensand, and graphite powder. I use molasses in aerated water for every single watering. I raise my own worms for castings, breed dubia roaches for the frass and I collect, make, and mill all my minerals locally except for the dolomite lime, greensand, and perlite. The graphite powder is a waste product from my machine shop because I make nozzles for rocket motors. It adds elemental carbon and sulfur as well as beneficial surface area. All that gets vibratory screened/mixed and left to sit for about a month to settle all the nutrients in.

Keep in mind that while this is my first cannabis grow, I've been gardening a long time. I'm basically using the same soil principals that I use on my hot peppers and hop plants.
          Last edited by fallenmunk; 12-13-2018, 02:19 PM. Reason: Added more info on my soil mix because I keep forgetting ingredients and processes.

Comment

• yellow
            yellow commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow that is exactly how i would like to do it. How/why do you airate the molasses??

• fallenmunk
            fallenmunk commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't aerate the molasses, I aerate the water after the molasses is added to it. Put in plastic liter bottle, put lid on, shake like hell. Simple. As for the reason why; it's good for your plants.
            Last edited by fallenmunk; 12-13-2018, 12:28 PM.

Originally posted by Potted View Post
          A oil filled heating unit costs about fifty bucks and is controlled thurmastaticly and it’s on wheels.it never gets to hot or cold and no red hot glowing metal or chance of burning down the house a + in my book. Lol
          Room is too big. It's a basement, not a tent. You could run it on high all day and night and not even be able to tell it was on.

Comment

From all the research I've done, night time temps can get into the 50's F with no issues as long as daytime temps get into the mid to upper 70's F. Outdoor flowering in my local area doesn't finish until Sept/Oct when it can get down into the 40's and 50's at night. But like I said, it's my first grow and I don't know what I don't know. Maybe I should get a tent?

Comment

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              Did you look at the link above about temperatures and stunted growth? If you veer too far off course, you're just wasting time and money because you won't get a good harvest.

• Potted
              Potted commented
              Editing a comment
              It all depends on how big your grow will be? 4 plants or 40?
              Last edited by Potted; 12-12-2018, 07:00 PM.

• fallenmunk
              fallenmunk commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, Thanks for the link. I looked at it and didn't see anything that caused me to be alarmed about cooler night temps dipping into in the 50's during flowering. I'm only doing 4 plants so I can always put them in a tent if we get a really cold snap.

Looks good!! Your very first picture posted, of the seedling in the clear cup. What is that little setup? Seems like a good idea for clones. Mind explaining what the plant is in?
            thanks!
            Im just a shy guy with a big dick.

Comment

Originally posted by yellow View Post
              Looks good!! Your very first picture posted, of the seedling in the clear cup. What is that little setup? Seems like a good idea for clones. Mind explaining what the plant is in?
              thanks!
              Thanks! It's a setup I came up with a few years back for my superhot peppers. It's a 3D printed pot with a pushout disc at the bottom that snap fits a clear 10 oz. cup. The cup snaps into place securely enough that you can lift it by the cup, but still remove it pretty easily. The seedling in the photo is Jack Herer. Those little pots work great for the first week or week and a half, and then you just take a pencil and push out the disc and the whole root plug comes out easily.

Comment

• yellow
                yellow commented
                Editing a comment
                Man that is cool as! Would you be able to print me one? Im willing to pay for materials and shipping. Would really love to one for cloning, think it would work?

• fallenmunk
                fallenmunk commented
                Editing a comment
                Sure thing, drop me a PM and we'll get you hooked up. Might be a bit small for cloning depending on how big your cuttings are. Haven't tried it yet.

Just a couple short weeks later. Man this stuff grows like a weed!

Comment

• alltatup
                alltatup commented
                Editing a comment
                Cannabis plants really love their humans.

My solution to a cold grow area. Rather than use a space heater, I'm burning more wattage in lights. A total of 18 COB's. If you look close, I also 3D printed some shrouds that snap over the side vents to redirect warm air to raise the leaf temperature. Now I don't need a separate fan to blow the leaves around. It really works well. I use a non contact laser thermometer for measurement and the leaves run in the upper 70's to low 80's F.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
                9fingerleafs commented
                Editing a comment
                Just a quick tip, when using laser thermometer, you can place little pieces of tape over the different surfaces to get a more accurate reading, some reflective and metal surfaces tend to mess up the measuring. That light looks powerful and your plants look very happy

• fallenmunk
                fallenmunk commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks! I'll have to try that the next time I use it on aluminum. I originally bought it for measuring the case temperatures of rocket motors, but it works good on leaves too.

I'm thinking I'll veg all the way through January and assess the night temps in February to see if I can start flowering. Right now it will get too cool to turn the lights off at night. Besides that, I've got a batch of beer fermenting under the table they are on that needs to stay warm anyway. It's gassing Co2 through the airlock like crazy, so bonus for the plants.

Comment

• alltatup
                alltatup commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds like a happenin basement to me!

Munk, if you do high CBD strains, there should be a little THC in there, and it's the synergy that makes the medicine stronger: CBD isolate is not as good as CBD alongside a little THC, other cannabinoids, terpenes, etc. I'm sure you already know that a hefty amount of CBD attenuates the effects of the THC.

Another thing to explain to your wife (assuming that she has very little knowledge of and experience with Cannabis): you have to get used to THC. It is an extremely effective pain-killer, anti-depressant and anti-anxiety part of the mix. But I do believe that one has to learn how to "lean in" to the high and learn how to enjoy it, rather than fearing it. Using it in the safety of your own home, it should be easier for her to learn what it's like to be a little high and do all sorts of things quite happily.

• fallenmunk
                fallenmunk commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the advice! Neither one of us has much experience with using cannabis, other than some contact highs in our younger days. She is in a support group where other sufferers of ED have extolled the "virtues of the ganja" lol. Since it's legal in my state, I figured I'd give it a try after I saw what the dispensaries were charging. Not that the prices are out of line for what it takes to produce it and bring it to market, but I'm a DIY kind of guy. Funny that you mention the other symptoms it helps with. She has anxiety and depression at times in addition to her joint and connective tissue pain. Hopefully it will help with that. I suppose if you are in pain all the time you can't help but have anxiety and depression to go along with it. And in addition to that, smoke triggers her asthma, so I'm going to have to figure out extraction.

I decided to try a double manifold on one of my plants. Probably got a little aggressive with the defoliation, but it is what it is. Hopefully it doesn't slow her down too much. I'll add some photos in a few weeks so we can she how she's doing.

Comment

Bushes ten days later. Second photo with color correction.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X