Trichome Development and Stages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trichome Development and Stages

As the flowers become frosted up and sugary, close inspections shows the trichomes to be well formed and crystal clear, not milky or cloudy . The pistils are about 35-40% amber, the rest are whitish. I am interested to learn about how long it may take for the trichomes to start turning cloudy then to amber. I do realize different strains will have different maturation times. Identify this strain as Blueberry Kush

Thanks to all, once again

From what I've researched, as Im sure you know, you do not want to harvest until you see a cloudiness in the trichomes. They should not be clear. They look almost like hot glue gun. Also typically you're going to want to see the majority of the pistils amber/redish.

You can use a loupe to look closely at what the trichomes are doing. I'm not sure there is a set schedule on average of when each strain goes from cloudy to amber, I'd love to see those stats if it exists.

You may also know that the more amber trichomes the higher the CBD there is, slightly less THC. The more "cloudy" the more THC.

Comment

when-to-harvest-cannabis-diagram.jpg I use this to gage my buds works well

Comment

Yep.... got all of that but I am in that period where patience is a virtue as it seems that they have been very well developed but in 4 weeks still look the same and it’s ending week 8 of flower. I assumed by now I’d start to see some cloudy parts... just gonna sit and wait. It’s been a long haul and a lot of effort

Comment

• Colombo
          Colombo commented
          Editing a comment
          Farmall, I here what your saying! I Also am waiting as I watch the pistils change color the aroma increase and the frost looks like snow.YEA ! Patience "is" truly a virtue!! Cain't wait to here more when she clouds!

Beats the street shit, and u know how it was grown and prepared properly....... really worth it if the grow is going well? This is the worst time for me too just wait it out 😁

Comment

Farmall,

If you would like to go microscopic, there are Tricromes on your Pistils. You can watch them change as your Pistils turn red and start curling in and Amber start to take hold it move from the tip of the calyxes the pistils grows from and then spreads. Once the Amber has hit the calyx itself, this is were you measure Amber to cloudy %.

It can seem like forever to move from clear to cloudy and from cloud to Amber and the light you inspect them is very important.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181209_020040.jpg Views:	1 Size:	121.0 KB ID:	274096

You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• starramus
            starramus commented
            Editing a comment
            " the light you inspect them is very important."
            Mr. furley is right on with that advice. Turn off the fricken HPS,or LED, and get another light on.

Here's the thing, though: you'll never see all the trichomes at the same stage, because the plant is putting out new calyxes all the time. Some folks advocate harvesting in steps for this reason.

You want to see most of the triche heads bulging. Then it's a matter of personal taste when you harvest. I never wait for lots of amber because I don't want a lot of CBN, and like to harvest my bud when I see mostly milky/cloudy triches. There are always clear ones as well.
          Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
          2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
          Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr.furley Right you are!!! I'm not a fan of couch lock... I'd rather get high, get in bed and let my mind soar for a while before I fall asleep...

• Potted
            Potted commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m right next to u on that one allatup, want to spoon?😏

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            Potted I'll take a spoon of ice cream. ;-}

Once the trichomes begin to topple from it's weight (cloudy)- I'm comfortable with chopping.

The usual harvest trichome percentages:
          Clear 5%-10%
          Cloudy 70%-80%
          Amber 5%-10%

WAITING FOR HARVEST!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0041.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	960.2 KB
ID:	274131

It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
          http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            Why do you have that poor skeleton imprisoned???

• Weed Pharma
            Weed Pharma commented
            Editing a comment
            That's how I feel waiting for harvest!
            The skeleton is packed away until next halloween.

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            You definitely need to put some cannabinoids on those bones...

Cool...! Thanks everyone... I feel like I have much more support in sitting around doing little more than question my brain. Always helps to have a bunch of good people working together for a common goal. This is a non-standard but very common goal ...

ive taken it deep into determining trichomes and development....but it’s the actual " hey man, wait " that goes a very long way. THANKS ¡

Comment

• Colombo
            Colombo commented
            Editing a comment
            If you do not own an eye piece, use your Phone , it works well! The new phones work even better with great closeups! Was very surprised!

• Farmall
            Farmall commented
            Editing a comment
            All of my pictures are iPhone but the Belomos loupe works very well. They are not cheap ones and I know they have even pricier ones. Sorry to know the single bud leaf is not a good check even though it is right inside the bud. Of the two loupes I have now, the 15x is better for me. Honestly, seeing the trichomes with those golden tops was a bit exciting... ok, a lot of exciting. So, now I’ll just keep waiting. My next accessory should be an electron microscope

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            Farmall, that's what "they" always say, but who knows what the difference is on the triches on sugar leaves and on buds..... not I....

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X