No announcement yet.

How to build my grow space.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No ,dont insulate around the pails ,you want cold air touching them, just the lid.1~2 in thick , pending on your cold air sorce and floor temp u may just have to insulate the lid.

Comment

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      If cold air can touch them...than so can hot air. 😬

Looks pretty neat! However, how do I solve the air circulation between the two spaces without letting in light from one to the other?

Comment

• yellow
      yellow commented
      Editing a comment
      For that particular setup, a solution for the exhaust could be to use T piece with a bug mesh filter? Maybe use a reducer to limit the air exhausted from the veg chamber.
      However for this to work you will need to move the fan at the beginning of any ducting.
      The setup I showed has the fan mounted vertically.

Originally posted by Anoney View Post
    Looks pretty neat! However, how do I solve the air circulation between the two spaces without letting in light from one to the other?
    Heat rises. You’ll never seal the two spaces but you can minimize the air exchange.
    Just a piece of foam insulation with holes for the netpots will do. Small computer fans everywhere so u can control how much air goes in and out.
    Small spaces require a lot of detail and fine tuning.

Comment

Would this make sense?

Growbox:
      Height: 150cm (59")
      Width: 120cm (47")
      Depth: 100cm (39.5")

Exhaust: Rhino Thermo 125mm (5") 400 m3/hr (235 CFM)
      Filter: 125mm (5") x 300mm (12") 500 m3/hr (294 CFM)
      Pots: 4xPLANT!T Dirt Pots 17L (4.5 Gal)
      Reflector: Adjust A Wings Enforcer + Spreader 70cmx55cm (27.5"x21.5")
      Veg: 20-23W CFLs 14x23W CFLs (2 of these) I also got 4 of these if i need more light in veg.
      Bloom: 600W HPS

This would be for low height plants. However I'm not sure about the heat from a 600W HPS, might get too hot?
      I do have the ability to take air from outside, with a intake fan on timer maybe? I'm not sure.

Anyhow, If all goes as planned I'll be starting my grow next week! In my 80x80x160cm tent.

Comment

I do not grow in tents, I home built a closet. My only concern and honestly I have no facts to substantiate my gut feeling (there may be some but I'm unaware). For that amount of light that,s not much grow room. space. I may have my numbers wrong, but hypothetically.
        HPS puts out heat a lot of heat, 600w, if you give your self 12" for the container 6" for the space between the top of the dirt and the scrog screen, add the circumference of your scrubber and exhaust. That would be approximately 6 inches. That leaves you with 2.5 feet of growth, this is just ball park and pie in the sky calculations.
        A 600w HPS is going to generate a lot of heat, I had to keep a minimum of 18 inches of height above my plants when I grew in dirt and with HPS and that was a 400w

Now this is when I grew years ago, just started with LED's, the newer HPS may not generate as much heat, but if it was me, I would try to get more distance above the plants or reduce the amount of wattage.

My opinion, supported only by past experience in my grow area, I'm sure there are other ways of doing it so your plan may be spot on.
        Good Luck brother, nice drafting skills though!
        Last edited by RagWeedDWC; 12-10-2018, 08:15 PM.
        Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
        A tale of two seeds
        Batter Up Sour Deisel
        Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
        New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
        Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

• yellow
          yellow commented
          Editing a comment
          Mind sharing your closet build? Always like to see whats out there for inspiration/ideas.
          Thanks

• RagWeedDWC
          RagWeedDWC commented
          Editing a comment
          It is pretty well described in my grow journal (Link in my signature). But growing with leds I have discovered you do not need near as much air flow, but still need the space between the tops and the lights.

• yellow
          yellow commented
          Editing a comment
          Sweet, ill have a look

In my short experience, I really must agree with RagweedDWC. In an 8.5’ ceiling my lights were pinned to the ceiling and my plants should have been vegged sooner so they did get to be over 4’ tall. Then the flowering stretch kicked in and they looked like those giant Sativas you see in some photographs. I barely had 3-4” from the bottom of my 315 LEC. Good thing it was only 315

Comment

That's what I thought, I'll keep thinking about how to build my own space. For now I drew a sketch on how my tent would look like 80x80x160(cm) - 2.5x2.5x5(ft). I'll probably start with coco due to issues getting my hands on proper equipment for DWC. I will try out DWC once I've built a better space to grow in.

Comment

All these sketches are great and will work. Issues will arise once you put it into practice, from there you can find a solition and adapt. Learn from you mistakes! Heat will be an issue, which is why I suggest LED. Unless your ambient temperature is low enough.
            Cheers
            Im just a shy guy with a big dick.

Comment

• yellow
              yellow commented
              Editing a comment
              Toker1, you may be correct. However in his sketches they arent air cooled. Its also more of a hassle in limited space for an argument.
              I appreciate your feedback throughout the forum and your knowledge. Just not a good look to misinterpret comments so you can drop some knowledge.

• Toker1
              Toker1 commented
              Editing a comment
              yellow sorry you misunderstood my motive here. Last I checked those sketches were not the original either. Things change, this is always part of a design process. It’s best for our friend Aoney to decide what works best for himself. Just stating the facts so he can make the most informed decision possible. ✌️
              Last edited by Toker1; 12-12-2018, 11:28 PM.

• yellow
              yellow commented
              Editing a comment
              Toker1 ohh! Good point!

Completely agree, the grow room I built to start, is not the grow room today. Adapt, improvise and grow
            Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
            A tale of two seeds
            Batter Up Sour Deisel
            Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
            New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
            Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

Now that my grow is done the 48 hour darkness period before harvest generates a ton of reflection. I’ll say this much: since I used a 10x10’ room in an upstairs warehouse space, hid lighting and lec combination linked together in series for venting, I never had an exhaust temperature over 80 degrees f. Add to that I had 2-1000w leds and 2-1200w leds in the same 10x10 room for the hydro portion. The actual draw was about 300w for each led. How this helps I can’t say but I do believe in a tent the heat would need good venting. I have that 445 cu.ft. Exhaust fan from amazon but I was given a Cloudline T-6 with remote to use. I only used the T-6.... it was remarkably quieter...was completely programmable and powerful. Worth the price if noise could be an issue.

Comment

• Anoney
                Anoney commented
                Editing a comment
                I've actually read about the cloudline series, all great stuff. However the shipping in my case is around $100. Do you know any other fans & filter you recommend?

No sorry, the other fan came with the “package” of the carbon filter and exhaust. When I turn it on for a test, the damn thing was like trying to hold a gyroscope and needed a fairly stable mount. The T-6 was just hanging in series and with the presets or auto function, ran at different speeds based on need. The original fan would have done the trick for me I’m sure but... between the air pump for hydro, the water pump for hydro, the noise of the 9 airstones (4-6” ones, oscillating fans and clip-on fans,it was not a place for quiet contemplation 😄. The T-6 helped bring down the dB levels a touch. I am thinking that the Cloudline T-6 is more geared for cooling high end audio/video rooms because the remote head just looks so pretty. Coming from a family of rabbit ears and tin foil television back in the day, I can appreciate today’s electronics in a very different way.

Grainger , a national industrial supply house, sells an in wall mounted fan about 12” square I used years ago to vent a photo darkroom and it was quiet. Similiar to a bathroom exhaust fan but quiet. With a dimmer, you can really get it to whisper

Comment

Been working on a "dream" build of sorts, if anyone is interested. This time, in reality, made from acrylic/plexiglass and square steel pipes for support. Don't mind the ducting, haven't figured out how to model loose ducting yet.

Size:
                Width: 200 cm (79 in)
                Depth: 100 cm (40 in)
                Height: 200 cm (79 in)

This will probably be the maximum size I could do, should be all good though.
                Also been thinking about some kind of wall in between, if I'd ever want continuous grows.

I got the window Idea from some Dutch(?) company making stealth grow cabinets, I'll don't remember the name at this time.
                I like the idea a lot, looks pretty neat too.

Comment

• Toker1
                  Toker1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ouch. That would be really cold. Probably cause a spectrum change. In the worst case might even cause the glass bulb to fracture.

• Anoney
                  Anoney commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ouch indeed. But then again, this will probably not be done until summer time anyway.

• Toker1
                  Toker1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think 60-70F is what most manufacturers recommend for intake air to the hoods.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X