Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL First Grow - indoor, autos in soil

Hi GWE'ers!

I posted before in the questions topic regarding my medium, and someone mentioned starting a journal, so I thought I'd create a new topic here to log my adventure and get some help from the community. I'm brand new to growing.

Babies are in:
    - 3x3 tent
    - viparspectra 600w reflector series light
    - - light is about 25" above
    - - 24 hour light schedule (due to autos)
    - plain potting soil medium (no slow release additives) in fabric pots. I have the General Organics Go Box (for soil) on hand.
    - exhaust and intake fans - slight negative pressure
    - small fan for air movement inside tent

The two pictures below are 5 days after transplanting from solo cups into their final home. Same soil used, just more now in the pot. They were both showing lots of roots around the outside surface of the soil plug, and some root spiraling had already begun. (Lesson learned there - I left them too long in cups).

As an anxious new parent I'm a little worried about the brown spots in the first picture, and the yellowing lower leaves in both. They've only been fed Gro one time at half strength. Watering has been very light and only when the top inch of soil is very dry. I might be on the under watering side (rather than over watering... I think at least), but I'm not sure if the spots/yellowing is something to worry about yet.

I have another genetic next to these ones that went straight in the fabric pot (as a germinated seed), and it is beginning to surpass both of these ones and showing none of the spots/yellowing. I can add a pic of that one too if it's helpful.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by stookin; 12-02-2018, 12:01 PM.

I think you should water more thoroughly, bacteria and fungi in the soil (what feeds your plants) need moisture to stay alive. Have you been measuring ph? It the main suspect when trouble

Comment

• stookin
      stookin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you 9fingerleafs. The soil in the pot has never been completely saturated to this point. I have only watered in a donut shape (for lack of a better term) around the plant. All of the over watering cautions have me a little freaked out.

All water has been pH between 5.5 and 6.5 going in. I have not watered heavy enough for run off and have not measured pH out or PPM at all yet.

to me it looks like the plant has started to flower?or is it just the pic?
    spots as said above ,ph . i get them when i add too much ph down at one time giving the roots a shot of acid in my dwc
    Last edited by Flyfisher; 12-02-2018, 02:41 PM.

Comment

• stookin
      stookin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Flyfisher. Is that even possible at 21 days? I'm trying to get a better pic of the tops now.

The first picture certainly has "stuff" happening. Oh my, what did I do to it? It's only 3 weeks since first true leaves on that plant.

The second picture is same genetics and time frame.
    Last edited by stookin; 12-02-2018, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Your roots are seeking water and hitting dry, a slow and thorough watering to run off, and 24/0 light should put you back on track. If they are autos they'll know what to do.

Comment

• stookin
        stookin commented
        Editing a comment
        Should I do that immediately PRIMO? They had water yesterday, more thorough but definitely no run off. Thank you!

• PRIMO
        PRIMO commented
        Editing a comment
        I would, and adding some cal-mag also can solve a lot of issues.

First you need the water ph to be 6 to 7 for soil. Under 6 is to low. Second yes water the soil until there is 20% runoff now. Then wait till its dry to your knuckle and then water till runoff again. And yes autos can and do start flowering as early as your plants are. They will continue growing bigger for about 3 more weeks and then just go completely to flowering. Good luck and have fun. Just ask questions if you need help. Someone will help you.

Comment

• stookin
        stookin commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Redwasp. This forum is fantastic. Very thankful for the feedback and help here!

I just finished water/feed until I had runoff this time. The runoff I tested was 3.9 (maybe due to being closer to 5.5-6 going in previously?) I'll let my water go in with a little higher pH next time they need a drink.

The one plant starting to flower would explain the faint but lovely scent I get when opening the tent up too. It just seems so small to start flowering, I guess the stem and branches will continue to grow stronger over the next weeks with it.

• Redwasp
        Redwasp commented
        Editing a comment
        No problem. If it was me I'd just let those plants grow how they want to grow without any training. Unless they all of a sudden start growing fast and get to big. Only time will tell, but you will know if they start growing really fast.

• stookin
        stookin commented
        Editing a comment
        Redwasp. Fingers crossed for some explosive growth. I've tried to provide the best conditions I can for them, but it's a learning experience here. Lots to take forward to my next attempt down the road.

I don't plan to touch them (for training) unless they really take off. Thank you again for the help.

Yes the plants will continue to get bigger for awhile. They may get alot bigger but then again you just never know with living things.

Comment

• Potted
        Potted commented
        Editing a comment
        Stunted is, as stunted does, time will tell. Lol

Need some help please. Complete rookie here, been reading a lot and I think I have the watering (shortage) sorted due to help from earlier posts here.

Biggest concern is the rust colored spots on the leaves. After they appear that set of leaves seems doomed.

The first picture shows how the problem starts (front leaves), and the later leaves (same pic, but to the right and lower) yellow and dry/die.
      The second picture is all four currently. The back right is strong and healthy looking (I think?) the only difference with that one is that it was germinated right in the pot that it is growing in, the other three - all have these spots on the leaves.

Front left is the "stunted" one from my earlier post.

Comment

They look like they wilted. How often are u watering you might b over doing it also. Might b a bit stressed out also. What are u feeding with also

Comment

Just watering when dry to first knuckle.

Using the General Organics Go Box, Late Growth week amounts

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X