Supplemental UV for LED grows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supplemental UV for LED grows

Anyone ever experimented with adding a UV source to an LED grow? I'm curious whether the best way to experiment with this would be a traditional fluorescent black light or something like this: Black Light, OPPSK 27W 9LED UV Bar Glow in the Dark Party Supplies for Blacklight Party Birthday Wedding Stage Lighting https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HCSEFEY..._DuF9BbC5EVA12

Or... (more wattage)... Onforu 2 Pack 30W UV LED Black Light Flood Light with Plug(5ft Cable), IP66 Waterproof, for Blacklight Party, Stage Lighting, Aquarium, Body Paint, Fluorescent Poster, Neon Glow, Glow in The Dark https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GGV5B7R..._6zF9BbPMPDF64

Comment

Most lights these days have a few infrared bulbs already in place, just can't see em.
      ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• Serapium
        Serapium commented
        Editing a comment
        Infrared is the opposite end of the spectrum from UV. I have seen a few LED lights with some UV output but not very many.

I have been digging into lighting for UVA and UVB, the tubes do not last long, about 2 grows (short time cycles (on) kill them faster than long on cycles). I am sure the LEDs fade also, but many have 5 year warranties, maybe they will last longer. UV spreads out very fast, so the lights need to be close, but to close they burn the plant (UVB), to far they are not effective. (or so I have read)
      I think at this point I do want to try some UVA/UVB to increase the THC, and would do this with 2 plants, 1 with and 1 without the UV rays.

Comment

I used some uv t5 bulbs in bloom and I left them on .now I have tons of seeds lol the best solution I found was led bars that come with uv in them https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1, I have 6 in bloom room but 2 are off they seem to work great
        If you go with a t5 type light make sure it comes on for 5 minutes two or 3 times a day thats all thats needed anymore and it causes stress
        new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
        current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• Serapium
          Serapium commented
          Editing a comment
          Seeds? Did one of your plants go hermaphrodite or did you miss a male? If hermie, do you attribute that to the UV light or did you have other stress factors as well?

• oldjarhead100
          oldjarhead100 commented
          Editing a comment
          Serapium Yes I left the uv lights on 12/12 with my hps everything in bloom room hermied , I tell all my FUs to all so maybe they wont find out for themselves lol

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Those UV bulbs are not designed for 12 hours of continuous use. You do short incremental blasts. 15 min on and 2 hours off during the lights on cycle.

I’m using two 50 watt Ava-Avb reptile lights for the last two weeks of flower,on for 15 min. off fur two hours, I just want to give them a sunburn to produce more resins to protect itself with. It seemed to work too,but at the expense of som last min.growning spurts during the flush.

Comment

• Potted
          Potted commented
          Editing a comment
          I wish I had started earlier too, hope it works out well

I used 2 bulbs from Solacure... used them about 2 weeks into flower till the end for about 2 hours total each day.... results look extremely promising.... harvested and curing now

Due to its DNA changing potential, they recommend you NOT being in the room when the light is on
        Last edited by Farmall; 12-19-2018, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• oldjarhead100
          oldjarhead100 commented
          Editing a comment
          Farmall not that I doubt it but where did you get that info about changing dna sounds interesting,

Originally posted by Serapium View Post
        Anyone ever experimented with adding a UV source to an LED grow? I'm curious whether the best way to experiment with this would be a traditional fluorescent black light or something like this: Black Light, OPPSK 27W 9LED UV Bar Glow in the Dark Party Supplies for Blacklight Party Birthday Wedding Stage Lighting https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HCSEFEY..._DuF9BbC5EVA12
        It is UV B you are needing. This light will not provide that. I have one of the above black lights, but it is just for illuminating my Lizard King black light poster. Has a neat little remote to turn it off and on, and also has a strobe function, automatic, function, and sound triggered function. Unbelievably economically priced due to the underpaid Chinese proletariat. Get one for your posters, but not your plants.

Comment

• starramus
          starramus commented
          Editing a comment
          You mean 1969 you lucky dog. I never got to see Jimbo ALIVE. That concert was the BIG one. He was talking about REVOLUTION! https://youtu.be/Srx-SBb5dqc
          Last edited by starramus; 12-19-2018, 09:17 AM. Reason: i'm jealous

• starramus
          starramus commented
          Editing a comment
          My memory fails me as well... I thought I was doing push ups for america in 1969, but i delayed that until 1970. i would rather have been going to concerts.

• Farmall
          Farmall commented
          Editing a comment
          My very first concert too.... I was 14. Once Jim Morrison got started the cops shut it down and we all had to leave. I thought to myself....sounds nothing like the record !

I picked up a (reptisun) 10.0% UVB, 13 actual watts, claims to be good to 9",,, is this bulb going to be to hot? Also how close to or far from the girls should it be?

Comment

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Contact the manufacturer for specifications. I am using a 2ft T5Ho UV bulb by agro max. They suggest 10-12” from the canopy.

Toker1 is experimenting under 400w HID, here is the thread
        So I got off to a late start on this journal. The strain is white buffalo by king Klone’s blu line up. I am using fox farm happy frog x fox farm ocean

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
          D.A.A.S.69 commented
          Editing a comment
          Serapium Man of man, you got some plants growing for sure,
          I only grow a couple of plants at a time, 3-4,but I usually grow 2 of the same kind, most of the time, and you are right the Phillips lamps are the best ,imo.
          But having grown the same plants a few times with just the Phillips lamp,which does great, I can easily see the difference in the stickyness, resin with the 10k finishing lamp, even with my old eyes.lol,
          They are kinda expensive though, but you don't have to run them long either.Which helps.
          Your SolarStorm, should be a great light, to,good luck with it.
          HappyGrowing

Update... I purchased an evaluation unit for my grow from California Lightworks, a Solar Storm 1100. It came with two UVB fixtures that hang off the side of the 1100. Oddly enough there was no documentation at all either in the manuals or on their site (that I could find) that lists amount of time and when they should be used. If I'm reading things correctly here and other places it sounds like I should leave them off until last few weeks of flower, and then only for very short bursts on a timer every couple of hours. That sound right?

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
          D.A.A.S.69 commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't know if this will help you are not, but I use a 10k finishing lamp with uvb,in it,from GrowersChoice,in my 315cmh, for the last
          week or two, growing autos, and I keep it on 24-7, my plants seem to like it just fine, doing it that way. GoodLuck
          HappyGrowing
          Serapium

• Serapium
          Serapium commented
          Editing a comment
          D.A.A.S.69 thanks. I had looked at those finishing lamps and intended to run a couple once I get to that stage. I'll have about 14 CMH going total from three different brands, all running alongside some LED's from various manufacturers and a few HID as control groups for comparison. What is your overall impression of the effect of the finishing lamp compared to the standard Phillips CMH lamp? Have you finished with both and been able to do a comparison between the results?

• D.A.A.S.69
          D.A.A.S.69 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry bro, i put it in the wrong place, it's above.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X