NPK testing kit or take a sample in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NPK testing kit or take a sample in?

I do everything organically, I build my own soil/s, my tomatoes, peppers etc. do very well (in land that does good to grow sand rocks and goat heads). But I have not had the soil tested to see where it is.
    What can you tell me about the home kits, are any reliable?
    Or would they just be a waist of my time and money?
    I can take a sample, freeze it and take it to the OSU extension center frozen (part of a local collage) and have it tested by a real lab.
    I have never used one of these kits and dont know what to look for as far as NPK values. I want my grow to go well, so it is time to teach an old dog a few new tricks! I will also get a PH test kit as I think the probes on the thing I have need way to much cleaning between uses to stay accurate.
    The soil base is well rotted wood chips, leaf mulch added to that, chicken and rabbit poo available, etc.. I will get blood and bone meal, worm casings,,,

I had hoped someone hear had used this typ test (I cant imagine not doing NPK testing), I guess I will pick one up and do some testing, and maybe take a sample to the OSU ag center to compare results. Then I will know what my soil needs!

Comment

You are the first person ever to ask that over here. When someone wants more control over the nutrients the plants get they just switch to hydro. I definitely wanna know what’s in my soil too. Just remember nutrients are not single elements loose in the medium. They are in complex molecules that need to be processed by bacteria ang fungi to become available to the plant. So organic matter will not show up like a nutrient now but after it gets decomposed it will.

Comment

Ok I get that, but if you dont know what you are starting with, aren't you just shotgunning?
        And I would luv to go hydro, but that is not in the budget,,,
        The ragweed got 15 feet tall in the compost this year, just that will grow our weed, but it can do better yet, yes!!? The worms/wigglers are nice and fat too,,,

Comment

Yes. That’s why one tries to stick to tried and proven soils for annual fruiting plants like fox farms or roots organics. Me personally bought fox farm soil two and a half years ago and I had issues at first but after a couple of rounds (I re use my soil as is) I started to notice all the nutrients from the soil were depleted and I was finally able to feed hydroponic nutrients without causing lockouts or deficiencies and maintaining perfect health from seed to harvest. My soil behaves like hydro and I’m happy with it

Comment

I just got off the phone with OSU extension center (Oklahoma State University) testing is only $10.00 and they do way more than NPK and PH testing! I will get my sample/s and take it in! They will give me help directly for this soil, and for what I want to grow in it! Same place Dad used when I was kid,,,

Edit Soil test is away! /Edit
            Last edited by Rwise; 11-16-2018, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X