Humidity issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Humidity issues

As soon as I think I've got the environmental control thing down, the weather changes. So here in Vermont things are in the mid-forties lower 50s. My rooms upstairs or at least the one grow room that I've been using so far possibly has too many lights in it? I'm struggling with bringing cool air from the outside in, keeping it warm enough in there, keeping it cool enough in there, and keeping it humid enough in there. Right now the humidity up there is 37 degrees Fahrenheit. I have 5 week old seedlings, along with 2 month old photos, along with four soon to be harvested autos. So in reading the tutorials 37 is way too low. But I'm getting a feeling that the amount of grow lights I have up there could be the issue? Or could it be I have too much fan movement? So I need a large room humidifier, a small little for in fresh air Inlet fan, and in Spring I will need air conditioners, this is crazy making trying to control this environment. I'm going to attach a picture of the seedlings there about 12 days old. They are autos. And just from having grown the last month or so, I know that they should be bigger than this at 12 days shouldn't they? And is this because of the humidity or Temps?
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the earth.

Auto's and Super auto's in Coast of Maine
    Photos in Coast of Maine
    Nothern lights auto, AK48 auto, OG Kush auto Cookie G3 Super auto's
    PurePowerPlant photo, Sweet Zombie photo, Wonder woman photo
    3 & 5 & 7 & 10 gal 24/7 grow bags
    Recharge, molasses, Botanicare nutrient line
    12(6 in each room) 450 watt Viparspector LED
    (2) 6" Carbon filter and fans
    House of hydro foggers both veg and 12/12 rooms.
    8' x 10' Veg room (18/6)
    9 x 12' Flowering room (12/12 room)

I would get fan speed controls off amazon and do some adjusting on intake and outake. Try and find a sweet spot where your temperature is sitting steady, if that doesnt help get a oil heater they produce no light, usually have adjustable setting, and they arent too hard on an electric bill. And not to sound pushy but I would hurry because 37 is detrimental to plant health anything below 55 is a danger zone for instant death, some strains handle cold better like indicas and reluderalis(autos) because they come from temperate to cold regions. But temperatures like that will halt growth, all but stop a budding plant, and may cause weird symptoms even if everything else is under control. Then i would try and stabalize humidity because it will become variable with your temperature and other parameters such as plant size, weather, water intake etc...etc .. Good luck and happy growing friend!
    Call a plant beautiful, and it becomes a flower. Call it ugly, and it becomes a weed."

-Jonathan Lockwood Huie-

Comment

In Michigan, I time my grows so that I do not grow in August, due to the humidity. Also, February is a month that I avoid if I can.
      If you are committed to growing year round, then you will be investing in some good equipment and poring the electricity to it.
      completed 7 grows
      what I have learned so far:
      environment maters more than nutrients
      at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
      effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

Low humidity is not really a concern, once the plant has taken root- here is a January grow: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Temperature however is- do what ever you have to get within 65-80f. Low temperature slows/stops growth.

Some suggestions-
        Move lights closer to the canopy.
        Stop bringing cold air from the outside. (inside air (oocupied rooms) have more CO2 anyways)
        Reduce the ventilation.
        Lights on 24 hrs - once only auto's (vegging photo's)

It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
        http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

Greenpassion, You might want to get some heat mats for your seedlings, they helped me a bunch last year, you got to keep those roots warm,
          Yeah they should be a little larger, for 12days, but they should take off in a few days if you keep them warm.
          In a big room like that I'd have me a couple of tents, if I could afford them, makes it alot easier to control the heat.
          Keep them warm, the young ones, I wouldn't worry much about the ones your fix in to harvest.
          Cfls for a week or two
          315lec for everything else
          Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
          36x36x63 inch tent.
          6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
          Smart pots
          Molasses
          Autoflowers

Comment

• Greenpassion
            Greenpassion commented
            Editing a comment
            D.A.A.S.69, I'm not sure but I think that since I'm having trouble with so many LED lights in this room I won't need heat mats through the whole grow. This will be my second and third grow, and I've only used heat mats to sprout the seeds. I did what you suggested months back and I put them up off of the table on plant coasters. So there's air circulating underneath the cloth pots. So I don't know how I could use heat mats anyway. Just got to tell you how much I appreciate your quick responses and your advice. Your input and advise encourage me to keep going.

• Greenpassion
            Greenpassion commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you live in a southern area? I'm curious if humidity is not a problem but neither would warrants be. What are your winters like? That you would need heat mats?

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            Greenpassion, we live in the MagnoliaState, on the river.
            Last year it got cold as hell, it snowed 6inches deep, an the ground stayed froze for over a week.And them mats came in handy on some young seedlings.
            Normally we get about 3 light frosts a year. It ain't never cold down here, for long.

And I know that I posted the other day about how the room was cold, and that was because the room across the hall with the door open had an air conditioner blowing cool air into this grow room. This room I'm speaking of will be the flowering room and I've just hung the lights and I'm working on the other parts of it that need to be done. But the point is is that I need to create two separate enclosed environments. The room across the hall will be the 12 12 room, and the room that I am currently in is for all of my auto and my photos in veg.
          We belong to the earth.

Photos in Coast of Maine
          8' x 10' Veg room (18/6)

Comment

I'm also a vermonter green. In winter time I use a small fan that can also heat think I found it at Wal-Mart I set it up blowing warm air in tent when needed. But I use a tent so its super easy to control

Comment

• Greenpassion
              Greenpassion commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow D.A.A.S.69, I am envious of your Winters! Last year we had weeks and weeks of below zero weather, and so much snow and ice that my plow bill for my driveway alone was over $500. The older I get the less interested I am and staying here, but unfortunately I work at the same place for 21 years, and my daughter is buried on my property. So I'm here to stay. Eventually I'm hoping I'll get this environmental control situation down pat. It was so much easier with my orchids that are all on the first floor of the house. And being as these are all growing in two rooms, not tents, it might be a little more challenging I think. I really need to get insulation up there better than it is. And once again I continue to thank you guys for your responses and ideas.
              Last edited by Greenpassion; 10-19-2018, 08:23 AM.

I did pick up 2 oil-filled heaters to put up there, one in each room , and that will probably happen within the next week or so. Right now I can keep that room at around 75 which is great, but my humidity is only 37. And if I have the door to that room closed with all those lights the temps sore to above 80. So then when lights go out for 6 hours, the temps dip into the lower 70s. Is that too much fluctuation?
            We belong to the earth.

Photos in Coast of Maine
            8' x 10' Veg room (18/6)

Comment

That temperature difference is perfect!
              I grow plants as low as 17rh, in the winter- the plants make up for it in the amount of water they drink- just be mindful they are also taking up more nutrients, too.
              It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
              https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
              https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
              http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
              https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X