Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultra Violet-and Infra Red supplemental lighting who uses U.V and I.R.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultra Violet-and Infra Red supplemental lighting who uses U.V and I.R.?

Hey guys, I just bought my U.V. Lamps which I will set up for my grows flowering stages, I will start with about 15 mins per hour in their 12/12 period. Has anyone used or is using supplemental U.V and if so what results do you find with Trichome growth? (Yes I will not be entering the grow room while the U.V lamps are on

I have a couple of the Viparspectra 600 watt LED lights which I am yet to use. These contain IR LEDs, but i cannot tell you at this point how effective they are. As for the UV i know nothing either. Viparspectra advertises them as full spectrum, but is that a real full spectrum? UVB radiation is supposed to increase THC production as evidenced by the experimentation noted in this High Times article.https://hightimes.com/grow/grow-hack...-increase-thc/

Comment

• starramus
      starramus commented
      Editing a comment
      I will be using the Viparspectras this bloom cycle as I will be in seed production separate from my main grow.

• NAKEDGARDENER
      NAKEDGARDENER commented
      Editing a comment
      I have seen amazing results in a friends grow when he started using UV. Since they are very cheap I thought I would give them a try, I will start a journal once they are installed and I have begun flowering

• starramus
      starramus commented
      Editing a comment
      In A Gadda Da Vida!

Yeah, i got a 315cmh with UV an IR, even got a 10k finishing bulb -lamp, I've only used it 6-8grows, so I can't tell you much, but the 10k finishing bulb -lamp seems to help some, but I ain't no scientist, so that's all I know, But the 2autos I'm growing now, I grew in a closet, had already quit growing for the summer an taken my tents down, to let the weather cool off, and these 2 plants have more trichs than any I've grown in a while, just using a cheap led vipar450.
    But that's all I know about that UV-IR, there is one dude on here that can help you though, DrPhoton
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

• NAKEDGARDENER
      NAKEDGARDENER commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks DAAS all is helpful, I too have a set of finisher bulbs to go into the T5 when they are in second stage of flowering. Looking forward to posting pics over the next few weeks. Just broke into my Snow White which I grew last year and is now fully cured. I had great results with them in coco coir and perlite now wanna try the strain under UV. Thanks again

From what I’ve read UVA rays kill mold and bacteria. Or maybe UVC can’t remember. And about flowering. Those Infrareds are supposed to convert phytochrome red into far red. Triggering flowering even with over 12 hours of light a day. For example 16 hours of light. Then one hour of Infrared then darkness. Idk for sure that’s just what I’ve heard

Comment

• NAKEDGARDENER
      NAKEDGARDENER commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes uva and uvb will kill bacteria and spores for sure, I know that uva and b force the plants defenses to create more Trichome , I also know never to be in the grow op when the uv lamps are lit lol, am looking forward to creating a journal once I begin flowering.

Ultraviolet has been shown to help with THC production in cannabis. However you want to be careful when using UV as it has also been shown to negatively effect photosynthesis in plants and reduce yield as a result. Common practice has it that it is best used in the last weeks of flowering, usually 2-3 weeks.

Far red has not been shown to have any positive effect in plants. If used during vegetation it will negatively impair growth by stimulating photoreceptors that create elongation, leaf expansion and more. What it can do is help reduce the dark cycle in flowering to allow more light to be used during the light cycle. This is done by using far red (700-750nm) at the beginning of the dark cycle which shifts the plant into sleep quicker, so to speak. This has been shown to reduce the required dark cycle by around 2 hours. Effectively allowing the light cycle to operate at 14 hours rather than 12 hours but still induce flowering.

Infrared has no effect on plants at all, its effectively just heat. Light manufacturers sometimes use infrared to mean far red lighting. Or they really are infrared and are just advertisement gimmicks. Infrared operates over 800nm, far red is around 700-800nm.

Happy to answer any further questions that you may have.
    Last edited by DrPhoton; 08-13-2018, 06:38 PM.
    Written Articles:
    Light Metric Systems
    Using Light Efficiently
    The Light Cycle Debate
    Environment Conditions
    Grow Light Technologies
    How To Compare Grow Lights
    To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
    Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram

Comment

• NAKEDGARDENER
      NAKEDGARDENER commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Dan,
      Thank you so much for your input on this subject, and thanks to this I now know that all I need to do is to use the u.v lamps in last 3 weeks and for only say 15 mins per hour on a 12/12. Also gonna send back this so called infra red I got, it was an impulsive buy and still returnable.
      The thing I am trying to do is focus on specific light wavelengths and not just buy for lux or lumen output alone but my purchase of a decent PAR meter is on temp hold so having to use lux at time being to ensure enough of what they need is there. Only have the two 400w C.M.H in with the 8 bulb T5 and four full spectrum spot led’s to give a little low down directional light or to specific tops.. I will introduce the u.v as you suggest only in last stages of flowering.

Many thanks.

You can't beat old Sol for full spectrum. Cannabis evolved specifically for that light source taking millions of years to adapt to it. Can humans improve on millions of years of selection? I am vegging outdoors this grow giving my T5s a vacation. July was exceedingly hot maybe stunting growth a bit, but it has cooled off since, and my plants are making up for it now. I will split up flowering into three areas. My barn will do the brunt with HPS, and another smaller out building will be where I will be breeding seeds under the Viparspectras, and thirdly au naturel under the sun to finish the remaining plants.

Dangerdan certainly knows his lights. His posts are fewer, but the quality is exceedingly high.

Comment

• NAKEDGARDENER
      NAKEDGARDENER commented
      Editing a comment
      You can’t youre right and growing outside would be ideal but this summer has been horrible here with humidity at 100% for days and weeks on end and temps past the 90s so I stuck with indoor this summer. Yeh dangerdan is the man when ya need lighting advice

Hello...UVB is known to damage protein and nucleic acids in plant cells, causing decreased metabolism and decreased number of flowers. UVB can have positive effects for plants as well. Cannabis responds to the stress and sunburn from UVB wavelengths, by creating it’s own sunscreen in the form of trichomes. The more trichome production the higher the THC, CBN and CBD levels.

Last edited by CarlyAzuma; 09-09-2021, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X