Molasses or honey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Molasses or honey?

Does anybody add molasses or honey to their grow during flower? What does it actually do for the plant? Also does it matter what kind of honey or molasses? I just switched my plants to 12/12 would like a little more info before doing this.

Good question Pmoe90 . I have used organic molasses in the past - and it says on the label 'unsulphered'. Had no problems using it - 1 tablespoon per gallon - what it does to the plant is help boost the size of your buds and enhancing the sweetness of the smoke. Just my belief - one wants to think what they are doing does something different to the plant.

Have fancy molasses for baking and can't find organic anywhere right now, so I used it and I believe it burned the leaf tips. So I'll be using an organic tea mixture for a while, cuz I think the tea does the same kinda thing.

Never used honey or sugar - but will look forward to a response to this.

Do use a cane sugar concentrate - called Foliar Essence. Spray that on my autos as much as I can before the buds get too phat. Only thing it has done for my growing is produce the biggest buds I've ever grown and harvested.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• Pmoe90
      Pmoe90 commented
      Editing a comment
      So it has to be organic molasses? Can I start this process on my plants now? I'll give it a try and see what happeneds.

• Canuck147
      Canuck147 commented
      Editing a comment
      Best to use unsulphered molasses and yeah use it anytime. I feed nutes/nutes/flush and usually include some tea or molasses.

Porcha, molasses don't have to be organic, but it HAS to be unsulfured or you will damage your plant. Molasses is used to feed the microbes in the roots. I'm not 100% sure if it does anything for the buds. But I'm using it myself right now.

Comment

• Pmoe90
      Pmoe90 commented
      Editing a comment
      Unsulfured. Got it. Thanks for the info. Really interested to find out the effects it'll have on the plants.

• GreenhouseEffect
      GreenhouseEffect commented
      Editing a comment
      Kingfish, that is a freeking AWESOME avatar!

• kingfish
      kingfish commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks GH, I thought it was cool.

shotgun980 and kingfish do you use the molasses for the same reason as other or for something different? I've read it helps with fattening up the buds and producers more trichomes. Are any of these true for you guys?

Comment

I know it is good for the soil. and I mean only soil. Don't use molasses if you grow in hydro. My buds do fatten up. LOL But I hav'nt done a side by side comparison. I think the 36-48 hour dark period just before harvest does more for trichome production then molasses. Only my 2 cents.

Comment

Unsulphered molasses helps alot with alot of things. All I can say is I won't grow without it again. Makes for bigger buds, better smell, better smoke, and overall just better plants. As far as why? I'll leave that to those who like to write alot more words than I do.

Comment

• Pmoe90
          Pmoe90 commented
          Editing a comment
          So you use it throughout your grow? Not just flower?

• Redwasp
          Redwasp commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes at lower doses when in veg. I use 1 tablespoon per gallon every other water in veg. In flower I use 2 tablespoons every other water. Not sure why or how I came up with that schedule or dosages but it works well for me.

I use molasses to. Currently I keep a big barrel going with a mixture of water, earth worm castings, and molasses, with an air bump bubbling it. This is what I water my plants with every time, it's not super strong, since it is every watering. They get side dressed with organic amendments also.

I have had problems before from over doing molasses though. I was just adding it to the watering can, and adding kind of a lot, maybe a 1/4 cup per 2 Gallons, and using every watering, also was getting some on the stalk and the lower leaves. Well, I started seeing this black suitey mold growing on the lower leaves, same thing that grows on the honey dew that aphids excrete. I am pretty sure that's what it was, just living off all the sugar. I have not had problems since I started using the bubbler, and I don't think adding a table spoon per gallon to the water once a week, will cause it, but definitely don't go overboard like I did.
        Organic Soil,
        with molasses,
        In a Greenhouse with,
        Redneck engineering.

Comment

I only use it during flowering. 1 tbls. per gal. only during my watering not the nutes. feeding.

Comment

Hey up....I use organic teas, often in place of just plain water which I only use if I`m being lazy. I add molasses un-sulphured. It`s cheaper and a jar lasts about 3 brews. Honey if used would need to be unrefined and non heat treated to retain it`s natural goodness and benefit the plants I would think which would rule out most of the supermarket stuff. However that would still work. Molasses though are condensed packages of surgary goodness which the girls love. So, cheaper, as good if not better than supermarket processed honey and organic plus you can spray it on as well though I haven`t tried this. Most organic tea receipes do recommend molasses.

Comment

So let me get this right. I add the molasses with the nutes? Or do i just use the molasses and regulated ph water? Thanks for all the info guys. Learned a lot.

Comment

• kingfish
                kingfish commented
                Editing a comment
                I use it during water only time.

Gave them their first dose of molasses today. Thanks again for the info.

Comment

I have used molasses since I first started growing so I can't really say how much improvement it makes. I like an all natural Blackstrap, unsulfer molasses I get at the co-op. Read early on that blackstrap molasses has more good stuff for the soil microbes but what you have should be fine.
                DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
                315 LEC
                6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
                6" Carbon filter
                3- 6" fans
                humidifier
                temp and humidity gauge
                5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
                FF trio nutrients

Comment

How do you use molasses? Do you feed with nukes or just ph water.

Comment

Got it shotgun980 good to know..

Comment

I do the same as my 70 yr old mom and use sugar. Figure she was growing mass since the 60's and had ppl coming from 5 hrs away for her smooth smoke...she knew what she was doing. I have to say that it still works to this day. I've heard of ppl using molasses and honey, but if it ain't broke...don't fix it...lmao. I guess it really doesn't matter what you use your gonna get the same result. I use sugar in the raw.

Comment

• Pmoe90
                        Pmoe90 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        How much sugar do you use?

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X