Controlling mother plant??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controlling mother plant??

How do I control the growth of a plant I want to keep in veg? Do I keep topping it? Won't that just produce a bushier plant?

I want to flower it eventually...but not for several months. I have been training it to have a nice flat canopy. But it keeps getting wider with new grow on the main stems that want to grow upward.

Please help as I am running out of room.

Thanks!

Well, you could chop off that annoying new growth, put them in a plant cloner and sprout a handful of new baby vegging plants every couple of weeks.

Comment

• Spanky
      Spanky commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Primo,
      If only I had the room, the lights and it were legal to grow so much!

wondering the same. I was going to keep defoliating it and do lst, light feed and just keep it happy until I flip it. I just saw a plant over at AFN that a guy kept topping to 120 colas. a pound. I guess that's the way to go
    complete beginner
    39" x 39" x 78" tent
    315 Watt CMH
    4" Phat Filter w/ 4" Hurricane duct fan
    Automatic top feed into coco.
    Mega Crop nutes

Comment

May we see the mother? I’d like to see your training so far before recommending anything else.
      Perpetual harvest
      Sealed Room
      Full hydro
      Ebb and Flow
      Hydroton Media
      600w HPS
      GH Nutrients

Current Grow:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...icture-journal

Rozay SOG 9 plant 4x4:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...icture-journal

Comment

• BillBates
        BillBates commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, please....pics

Originally posted by Cronk View Post
      wondering the same. I was going to keep defoliating it and do lst, light feed and just keep it happy until I flip it. I just saw a plant over at AFN that a guy kept topping to 120 colas. a pound. I guess that's the way to go
      I would never like to flower a mother! Re-vegging is a very stressful thing for plants, and chances of getting plant problems is greatly increased.

The only time a mother should be harvested is for babies... My typical mother would only have flowered once, since I make mothers of exceptionally nice, high yielding or in other ways particularly precious plants; when time is in I harvest the buds and nugs as I am careful to spare any remaining fan leaf, rather the lower ones.

After harvest I cut off all branches and growth tips down to the lowest leaf.
      Now I put I in the veg. Room and after about 8-14 days it starts producing fan leaf again, and now you have a mother with great genetics.

This mother should be bonzai'ed thoroughly, keep the internode length as short as possible, it easily gets out of hand. One way I use to keep my mother's from growing out of hand is the container size (this only works for soil and passive/inert hydroponic setups)
      Marijuana is no drug, it's a human right!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X