Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I supposed to release my colas during flowering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I supposed to release my colas during flowering?

Hi gang!

I seem to be good at asking weird questions that may be obvious to everyone else. Here is another one.

I train my plants into a nice flat table shape using pipe cleaners pinned to my grow bag. Northern Lights. I am using an LED supplemented by CFLs. Nebula says I shouldn't expect those nice fat trophy picture colas unless I have a much stronger lighting system. I got about 4.25 ounces off two plants. (Is this considered average or is it below?) My first successful grow, but the biggest colas were not as robust as I had hoped.

I cloned two plants from these which are now in flower. I released the colas from their bonds at three weeks in and they are filling out much better than last time. The buds in the middle of the plant are still getting plenty of light and they should help with my overall yield.

Was I actually supposed to do this all along or am I having a happy coincidence? Nutes and pH have been the same for both grows. I keep nutes at the highest level that doesn't result in leaf tip burning.

Whatdya think?

Hi Spanky
    Well, pictures would really help.
    During flowering it is often better to support rather than restrain, but the ties I set usually serve both purposes.
    To be able to tell you anything about harvest size, I would have to know more about the LED and the CFLs. What brand, and model is the LED, do you know how many true watts it pulls from the wall? How many CFLs and wattage?
    Cheers

Comment

I will take some photos next light cycle. This is my led...The MarsHydro Reflector 48 title refers to the fact that there are 48 LED chips in the light, and since each chip is a 5 watt LED, the light has 240 watts of LED lighting power, amplified by the reflective design.

I have 4 42 watt CFLs and 4 23 watt CFLs for the bloom cycle. These cover two plants. They are all in clamp lights with reflectors and I keep them as close as I can without burning.

I am growing in coco with Botanicare nutes. Daily feed and water. Plants seem very healthy with lots of growth.

Thanks!

Comment

• Campesino
        Campesino commented
        Editing a comment
        That light pulls about 100 watts from the wall. You are harvesting 119 grams or so, which is really very good with those lights.

I think you've seen my Coco guide, but if not the link is in my signature. I'd probably recommend increasing to 2x daily fertigation. If you have any questions there, let me know.

Cheers - and great work!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X