Natural dehumidifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Natural dehumidifier

My girl is in week four of flower and my humidity is a little high (upper 50's to low 60's). Inches higher after watering and she is getting really thirsty. I have a small grow space so no room for dehumidifier. I have researched on line but a little worried about using "store bought" dehumidifier products because of possible chemical contamination. Rock salt or bamboo charcoal seem to be the best approach. Any suggestions?
    DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
    315 LEC
    6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
    6" Carbon filter
    3- 6" fans
    humidifier
    temp and humidity gauge
    5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
    FF trio nutrients

Perhaps you could increase ventilation from a lower humidity area.
    completed 7 grows
    what I have learned so far:
    environment maters more than nutrients
    at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
    effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

• PuravidaC
      PuravidaC commented
      Editing a comment
      Not an option... hoping change of season would help but I want to get humidity as low as possible in the next few weeks.

Too low humidity can also cause problems, (don't ask what) but air flow is very import.
    A man believes what a man desires to be true.

Comment

• PuravidaC
      PuravidaC commented
      Editing a comment
      Got good air flow. Not sure how much carbon filter reduces air flow when I hook it up. Need low humidity during flower, especially as it nears harvest.

I think that for those of us who don't have a 'sealed room' the ideal numbers will continue to be a struggle. Where I live, your humidity numbers would be considered ok.
    completed 7 grows
    what I have learned so far:
    environment maters more than nutrients
    at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
    effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

Originally posted by PuravidaC View Post
      My girl is in week four of flower and my humidity is a little high (upper 50's to low 60's). Inches higher after watering and she is getting really thirsty. I have a small grow space so no room for dehumidifier. I have researched on line but a little worried about using "store bought" dehumidifier products because of possible chemical contamination. Rock salt or bamboo charcoal seem to be the best approach. Any suggestions?
      Is your plant really bushy? If so, it can help to remove some of the leaves in the middle and bottom of the plant that aren't getting light anyway. If it's completely in the dark, it's not really doing much for your plant anyway. Each leaf gives off water vapor all the time, so if you take some of them out it'll help bring down the humidity in the grow space.

If you don't have a fan in there, it can help to add even a desktop fan to circulate the air. It won't bring the humidity down but it helps prevent white powdery mold or bud rot by making sure there's lots of airflow in the space at all times. If your fan is too strong to blow directly at your plants, you can also point it at a wall, or over/under the plants, so they're still getting a nice breeze without waving around in the wind If you don't have an exhaust fan emptying out the humid air and replacing with drier air, adding that will also make a big difference!

Comment

• PuravidaC
        PuravidaC commented
        Editing a comment
        Trimmed one last time as it was bushy. Looks good now, at least I can see through plant. I have a small fan (4") in addition to intake and exhaust fans to help with air movement. During flower last grow I directed the small fan toward lower section of plant without any ill effect. Just remember (duh) and did the same today. Will monitor humidity...

I have seen something that might match your description online once...
      Look up 'PINGI i-Dry XL' (and maybe there are also L/M/S versions?), I never used one, so can't say if it would fit your space or how effective it would be, but still it seems to be the smallest dehumidifying device I have seen... Cheers

Comment

• PuravidaC
        PuravidaC commented
        Editing a comment
        Checked it out online. Looks perfect, thanks!

The Ping contraption looks like a peltier type dehumidifier. Online reviews for these seem pretty mixed. @PravidaC, if you try it out please let us know if it's effective

I've been looking at the Pure Enrichment dehumidifier on Amazon, but having lived in some very damp places in my life and having tried various devices I'm suspicious of anything but the heat pump full room dehumidifiers and they're nearly as expensive to run as an air conditioner. With all the air exchange our tents/cabinet do I'm not sure any dehumidifier can be very efficient.
      Sand, sea, sun, sausages, and sinsemilla.

About all you can do in life is be who you are. Some people will love you for you. Most will love you for what you can do for them, and some won't like you at all.

-Rita Mae Brown

My Small Tent, Monthly Harvest, Perpetual Auto Grow

My IG

Comment

• PuravidaC
        PuravidaC commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed. Only need to lower humidity 5% or so just to feel more comfortable... there must be a point of diminished return.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X