soil / water ph help for a first timer.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

soil / water ph help for a first timer.

So I started in regular old garden soil. made many mistakes like using miracle gro early on. my ph tester is reading almost 7 for my tap water, but the same meter (kind with 2prongs to stick in soil for light/ph/moist) is reading like 8 when I stick it in soil, ones worse shes been looking a little sick last few days, and im not overwatering at this point(did early on) so my question....I have to use DW vinegar in tap water to lower ph , should I go a little below 6.0 with my water, so the two numbers average when it mixes in soil, or is that not how this works?? im laid off at the moment and trying to keep my costs down, wish I could just get the good stuff. I know its frustrating for you guys to help when we don't have the right stuff... Thanks everyone (I posted pics a few days ago on my profile,leaves pretty much started looking worse since".
    Grow -1 Spare bedroom 10x12x8--
    Soil FFOF mixed w/ perlite 75%/25%
    Flower- hps 1000w
    Veg-T5 ho 4ft 4tube 216w....cfl pigtails 45w x2 6500k

megacrop- armor si- calmag--molasses
    5gal smart fabric pots
    Window A/C cooled- box fan
    6in hydrofarm blower fan into hps

"Free your mind, and your ass is sure to follow"

Those two prong soil meters are worthless.

You need to test the water with either a pH meter like these
    http://a.co/3093bcM
    http://a.co/eBVVweC

Or a color test like this
    http://a.co/bOg17PC

Is there a reason that you can't use hydroponic supplies to adjust your pH? Like this (includes color test)
    http://a.co/7kg9pDJ

Comment

• shotgun980
      shotgun980 commented
      Editing a comment
      can you help with this... they are in a 8qt pot but im in week 2 of 12/12 bagseed, would it hurt them to go to a 5 gallon bucket this late. i can do it right now

• Campesino
      Campesino commented
      Editing a comment
      If you are confident in transplanting, I would.
      8qts is not a lot of room for roots...in soil
      Sooner = Better
      Be careful to avoid stressing during transplant

• Campesino
      Campesino commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, the last kit I linked has everything you need to start controlling your pH. You may decide to upgrade to one of the pH meters, but you can start with the color kit that comes included with the up and down. Those are the right products to adjust the pH of nutrient solution regardless if the medium is hydro, coco (soil-less), or soil.
      Happy to help

What is the ph of the runoff water?

Comment

• Cloud
      Cloud commented
      Editing a comment
      When choosing the size of your containers, you must think about the final size of your plant. Bigger plants will need bigger containers, while smaller plants grow best in a relatively small container. You need to match the size of your plant with the size of your container.

A general guide is to have up to 2 gallons per 12″ of height. This isn’t perfect, since plants often grow differently, and some plants are short and wide instead of tall, but this is a good rule of thumb.

So if your final (desired) plant size is…

12″ ~ 2-3 gallon container

24″ ~ 3-5 gallon container

36″ ~ 6-8 gallon container

48″ ~ 8-10 gallon container

60″ ~ 12+ gallon container

From GWE

• Cloud
      Cloud commented
      Editing a comment
      also from GWE lol i should just do this all in one post
      Make sure your plants are in their final container at least 1-2 weeks before you switch them over to the flowering stage, and avoid transplanting plants during the flowering/budding stage if you can since the stress may affect your final yields.
      Maybe you can still transplant and not lose to much

• Campesino
      Campesino commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, normally transplant into finals a couple weeks before the flip...
      I would advise against transplanting after the stretch in almost any case.
      Since he is in 2 gallon containers and it is still mid-stretch, I think he'd benefit from going up to 5. I don't think I would give the same advice next week though!

Pics would help...

I just posted pics if u can please go to my profile and u will see the post . i would appreciate it. I started 12\12 on may 5 to be honest the buds are starting
    Grow -1 Spare bedroom 10x12x8--
    Soil FFOF mixed w/ perlite 75%/25%
    Flower- hps 1000w
    Veg-T5 ho 4ft 4tube 216w....cfl pigtails 45w x2 6500k

megacrop- armor si- calmag--molasses
    5gal smart fabric pots
    Window A/C cooled- box fan
    6in hydrofarm blower fan into hps

"Free your mind, and your ass is sure to follow"

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X