Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I showing my rookieness by using 5gal buckets rather than fabric pots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I showing my rookieness by using 5gal buckets rather than fabric pots?

Also, I thought that perhaps it would be of great benefit to use fabric pots so as to allow oxygen to reach the deep roots better. But, not sure about this. I've just drilled a whole bunch of 1/4" holes to help with that.
    AMS Supreme, auto-fems from AMS.
    Using FOX FARMS Happy Frog soil in ~2 Gal pots.
    Only one VIPARSPECTRA Reflector Series V450 LED Grow Light is being used for this grow.
    4' x 4' grow tent
    6" inline exhaust system
    Growing in an outdoor structure w/ no HVAC system

Air pots do work alot better but using 5 gallon buckets is the same as using a conventional pot. As long as you put enough holes for drainage it will work fine. You just have to be a bit more careful not to overwater them vs an air pot.

Comment

• growsomebuds
      growsomebuds commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh shit, dude, you just made me realize that I forgot to drill the holes for the bottom of my 2nd bucket!

Yeah, Fabric pots are better, and not actually any more expensive, than plastic buckets.
    But many seasoned growers still use plastic and your plants certainly will survive... If you drill holes in that second bucket!

Comment

The plastic won't dry out as fast as an air pot. Good choice if you can't tend to them or you have to be away for a watering or 2.
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-she-s-a-beast

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...1424-shop-grow

Wise man say."Always someone who know more."

Comment

I suppose it depends what your definition of "rookieness" is ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2630.JPG
Views:	403
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	203555

Don't worry about it 👍
        Growers Love

Comment

• growsomebuds
          growsomebuds commented
          Editing a comment
          "Rookieness" meaning I've only raised one plant through harvest and got plenty high. But I considered myself mostly lucky on that grow. I never had issues w/ leaf discoloration of any kind. Also, on that grow, I used only A19 style LED bulbs; 8 of them in the 6500K and 2500K range. They seemed to work well in veg. But, in flower they weren't sufficient. My yields were poor. So, for this grow, I will be employing two proper grow lights(in my sig). I've been using a pH pen. On my 3rd grow, I want to address my soil composition. I just don't know what I'll be using yet.

• growsomebuds
          growsomebuds commented
          Editing a comment
          You did topping and LSTing to get that shape?

• KingKush
          KingKush commented
          Editing a comment
          growsomebuds

Yea I topped once when the plants were small and then lots of LST in the forms of bending and bonding (tying the branches down, spreading them out and then tying them to the container)
          Then during the flowering stretch you gotta get in there and spread branches apart too. Lots of "persuasion" but nothing too damaging.

And sorry Growsomebuds i meant the pictures in your other post.

Comment

This all I've used, thus far. I'm using it again for my 2nd grow, now. I know I need/want to up my grow game when I do my 3rd grow this Summer. I think I should have something more glandular mixed in w/ this soil to aid in getting oxygen to the roots. Is that what perlite is? Also, I don't want to be ordering any soil or soil additives online. I want to be able to buy local.
          AMS Supreme, auto-fems from AMS.
          Using FOX FARMS Happy Frog soil in ~2 Gal pots.
          Only one VIPARSPECTRA Reflector Series V450 LED Grow Light is being used for this grow.
          4' x 4' grow tent
          6" inline exhaust system
          Growing in an outdoor structure w/ no HVAC system

Comment

• KingKush
            KingKush commented
            Editing a comment
            Glandular = Granular I'm assuming?
            Perlite is cheap and readily available. It definitely helps as the plants mature and the root mass grows

• growsomebuds
            growsomebuds commented
            Editing a comment
            So, is perlite the "granular" material I add to some kind of soil that allows for better oxygen penetration?

• KingKush
            KingKush commented
            Editing a comment
            growsomebuds
            Perlite is that white porous rock material you see in all potting soil. The little white stones that you can crush with your fingers. You can buy it separate and mix it into any soil (or coco fibers) that you want to make your soil drain better and hold water more consistently.

It's good for watering and it's good for the roots, gives spaces with air or water for the roots to explore.

See if you can get Fox Farm soil at a local store or perhaps even Black Gold.
          Soils that work best for cannabis DO NOT slow release nutrients because you want to have control over Nitrogen during flower. Your plants may use up this soil by harvest, but the "feeds for 6 months" is a big no-no.

look for something that is quality without the "feeds for xxx" statements.
          Most good soil costs $14- $20 for 1.5cu/ft (standard big bag) and that is good for just over 2, five-gallon buckets full.

Comment

• growsomebuds
            growsomebuds commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, KIngKush.

• Chefbjy
            Chefbjy commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed. https://www.growweedeasy.com/what-so...wing-cannabis/

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            Some of my best plants have been grown in 5gallon or larger buckets, these are grown outdoors, and they look just like KingKush s, buckets with plenty of holes all the way around the bucket, not just on the bottom.
            All I do is add rocks and perlite.
            Indoors I'm gonna use SmartPots.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X