Sophomore Solo Grow - White Widow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sophomore Solo Grow - White Widow

I'm very excited to share my second growing journey here! My first time around was much less deliberate, so hopefully this time I won't make some of those same rookie mistakes.

Seeds: White Widow (Reg Photoperiod), sourced from Nirvana Seeds
    Medium: Coco Coir / Perlite mix
    Lighting: CFL 5600K 23W x (≤6, for veg period, 24-0 schedule)
    Setup: Solo plant in ventilated bedroom closet.

Originally began with two seeds. They were started using the paper towel method on 3/8, and planted into solo cups on 3/9. First seedling sprouted on 3/10, and grew its first pair of true leaves on 3/12. Second seed cracked but never sprouted, and upon inspection of the seed, i think it may have been a dud (innards were brown / black and soft).
    So, a twin grow turned into a solo grow- but the seedling is growing quite vigorously. As of today (3/16) it seems to be sprouting its second set of leaves already, so last night i started it out on very low-dose nutes (using GH Flora trio + Cal-Mag and the schedule given on the main site).

I've started it on one 23w CFL and will add more as the plant grows (most of them are being used on my older plant). Only initial problem seems to be that the top layer of coco isn't drying properly, and thus i'm beginning to see green spots of algae forming. I scraped off the top layer of coco and replaced it with fresh mix, so hopefully that remedies the problem (NOTE: Photos were taken before I did this). Otherwise, no hangups so far! (As we Jews say, kenahora!)
    Attached Files

Looks real good, nice color.
    No more rookie mistakes. But don't worry, we all make mistakes. Just try not making the same one over.
    Regular photoperiod seed - be a shame if it came out male - that's why I buy autoflower feminized seeds.
    Good luck growing, good start.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. 5 gallon fabric pots - Promix soil
    LEDS - G8 240 - 90 Watt red flower booster
    G H flora trio - CaliMagic
    Foliar Essence
    OG Kush - BlackJack
    ​​​​Viparspectra 300

Comment

• julik
      julik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I did consider buying feminized seeds, but decided to err on the cheaper side and take a gamble I have three other seeds that came in the pack, so I at least have some backup. Thanks again for the well wishes!

Quick update- she's growing fast and furiously, but I'm not sure what the deal is with the misshapen growth. It seems to be healthy despite the deformities?
    Attached Files

Comment

• julik
      julik commented
      Editing a comment
      Did just that today; when i moved it out of the solo cup, I saw that the roots had already started crowding around the bottom and spilling out of the drainage holes. I wanted to wait until I could order a fabric planter (since nowhere near me seems to carry them), but I guess nature waits for no one!

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Shalom, juli!

• DankwingDuck
      DankwingDuck commented
      Editing a comment
      My white widow sprouted deformed too . Maybe it’s a white widow thing . You can see the photo on my grow journal if you like .

Post-transplant from the solo cup; a little more than one week old now. The newer foliage looks less irregular, with the most recent growth sporting five fingers. Still growing very quickly!
    Attached Files

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Morning julik, she's gonna be pretty at harvest, nice transplant, good job.

So far, she's got 7 sets of leaves: 2 singles (first set of true leaves), 1 x 2 fingers, 2 x 5 fingers, 1 x 4 fingers, and 1 x 6 fingers.
    I'm guessing this is a genetic mutation that causes every couple (not sure of the exact pattern) sets of leaves to have 1 less finger than normal. Weird!!

Comment

• PRIMO
      PRIMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Juli, just hope she doesn't give you one finger and turn into a boy

• julik
      julik commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahah! Me too. Fingers crossed!

Post-transplant update! She was already outgrowing her other pot, with roots starting to peek out of the bottom drainage holes. Had some initial issues with soil pH being too low, but this seems to be correcting itself and the plant is still growing vigorously!
    Attached Files

Comment

• julik
      julik commented
      Editing a comment
      pH Issues resulted in some twisted / irregularly shaped foliage, but new growths seem to look normal as pH also seems to be more stable.

Getting bushy-- only five days later and she's already starting to outgrow the new pot!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by julik; 04-04-2018, 02:12 AM. Reason: Moved the light up a day after first photo; second photo, you can see them lifting up toward the light a bit. You can also see the newly formed 9-finger leaves :)

Comment

Got her transplanted into what I hope will be her 'final resting place.' Roots were definitely rootbound when I took her out of the previous container, but as you can see, there's evident healthy growth between the two photos (first immediately after transplant, second about 24 hours after transplant). Still having issues with low pH, but like last time these seem to be self-correcting. I'm guessing that root problems + pH issues are causing the intermittent spotting and twisting of foliage; the new growths all seem healthy, however.

At almost 4 weeks I still don't spot any preflowers, but I don't mind waiting-- the later the preflower, the more likely it's female. I'm thinking after another ~10 days, I might begin the transition to flowering as she's getting very big very quick! Newest fan leaves have 11 fingers!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by julik; 04-06-2018, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Quick photo update!
        Attached Files

Comment

• Tdh101jr
          Tdh101jr commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome man how old are they now i have 8 regular seeds that are 5weeks old from seed today and yours looks way happier lol. Although i am doing high stress training to shape mine as of now.(already been topped twice lol)

• julik
          julik commented
          Editing a comment
          She's about a month old as of today (4/11)! I was very lucky with this plant, I didn't have to do any LST/HST/manifolding to get the shape she's taken. Not sure how that happened, but it definitely saved me a lot of work

• Bluto
          Bluto commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking great!

It's a girl!
        Attached Files

Comment

Congratz!! Looking forward to some updates. I got a twin white widow (from Crop King, they're local and i was too impatient to wait for European seeds lol) and i was looking for someone else doing something similar. Will be watching and "rooting" for you and your WW!

Comment

Did some trimming the other day, removing the larger fan leaves to make room for some of the new colas trying to reach the canopy. Here's a pic of one of the irregular leaves I cropped, which has eight fingers instead of the typical odd-numbered structure. This seems to be a pattern that repeats across the plant on various growths (as I've written previously, i've found various leaves with 6 or 10 fingers as well). Science is cool!
            Attached Files

Comment

Day three of flowering! I'm running out of room in my closet, as you can see!
              Attached Files

Comment

• Cannabliss
                Cannabliss commented
                Editing a comment
                She's a beauty. Nice work. I'll bite and follow along. Growing a Ww myself. Will flip to flower sometime this week.

• julik
                julik commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks! Lemme know how yours goes as well!

Hi all! Happy 4-20!
              Remember what I said about rookie mistakes in my OP? Well...
              I walked into my closet the other day to find that my grow light setup had fallen on top of my girl! I was an idiot and hadn't noticed it, so who knows how long it had been sitting there. Baruch hashem (thank god!) nothing too serious was damaged, but a couple of fan leaves were burnt to a crisp and had to be clipped. A couple younger leaves had their tips burnt as well, but I did some "surgery" to remove the burnt bits and ever since they seem to be growing like normal.

On the bright side, the casualty of a large fan leaf opened up plenty of room for the undergrowth beneath! The young shoots seem to be very pleased with the amount of light they're getting, as they quickly rise toward the canopy There's always a bright side, guys!

She's currently in her fifth day of flowering. More pics to follow

Comment

• Cannabliss
                Cannabliss commented
                Editing a comment
                Ouch! Luckily you caught it on time and it wasn't something more serious, like a fire. I'm constantly taking quick peeks into my grow room throughout the day just to make sure things are running smoothly.

Hello growers! Hope everyone had a wonderful 4-20!

My girl's currently in her 9th day of flowering, and I can tell she's definitely starting to stretch. As far as I can tell, most of the taller colas have 3, 4, or more "budlets" on them, with new ones popping up every day
              I am having some issues with low pH, which I'm going to try to remedy today by flushing with some plain adjusted pH water. I haven't flushed her since early veg, so I imagine there's some nutrient buildup in her root system. Despite all of this though, she's continuing to grow like crazy!

I've enclosed a photo update as well as some pics of her "budlets." Note the one leaf with the burnt foliage- a brave survivor of the fallen light incident!
              Cheers
              Attached Files

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
                D.A.A.S.69 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hello Julik, you were lucky with your light not burning something up, that's scary.
                Your plant looks nice, you might want to tuck some of those big fans, so your bud sites can get more light.

• julik
                julik commented
                Editing a comment
                I know! I'm thankful the only damage was cosmetic!
                She does seem to love making huge fan leaves. Definitely not a bad thing but it does tend to keep some of the undergrowth from coming up. Thanks for the suggestion!

• alltatup
                alltatup commented
                Editing a comment
                I see pistils emerging: it’s a girl!!!

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X