Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help, please. Top layer of roots are exposed when I water my coco grow bags.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, please. Top layer of roots are exposed when I water my coco grow bags.

Hello. What do people use the keep the coco in place when watering? My plants are taking about a half gallon of water now and it is quite difficult to try to put in a little water at a time. Even when I accomplish that, the coco still gets moved which exposes the top roots below my plant's main stem. I have to pull it from the sides of the grow bag back over the roots. This doesn't seem to be hurting their growth, but I was wondering what others are doing.

I thought about laying some landscape fabric around the top, but I am concerned it might create conditions for mold to form. As my plant expands, it is harder and harder to even see the top layer of soil, much less manipulate anything under the nice canopy I have created.

I can't seem to find anything in the tutorials so I must be searching with the wrong question. Thanks for your ideas!

you can get some mulch or straw (what horses eat) to cover the coco, you could also use branches from previous grows if you have them, i wouldnt worry much anyway... it happens all the time with all kind of plants, just like how a tree ends up with the roots above the ground, the roots become hard and develop skin to protect from light, what i personally do its just after watering i move some soil to the center around the stalk or over the exposed roots.

Comment

• St.buds
      St.buds commented
      Editing a comment
      What he said

A layer of perlite works well, and it reflects the light back up to the leaves.

Comment

• St.buds
      St.buds commented
      Editing a comment
      I also like doing this when I have the extra perlite works to protect and kill off fungus knats too
      Last edited by St.buds; 02-26-2018, 10:23 AM.

• Chefbjy
      Chefbjy commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I would do Doc

All I do Spanky, is water real slow a found the stalk.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

Coco shouldn't mold. It's extremely resistant to bad stuff, except trich (trich in plant cultivation is a beneficial). It's used in mushroom cultivation for just that reason. I try to pour my water in as quickly as I can that way the loose coco floats and as the water flows out, it's left in a nice even layer over the roots.

Comment

Simply you could add more coco, or if you have an old grow bag you could cut a patch to put round the stem. It certainly would better keep the coco in place, and cover any exposed roots.

Comment

How much Perlite do you have mixed in? I hand water my Coco/perlite and have not had the same experience. The top is now largely perlite, but stays in place, unless I pour water in just one spot.

Comment

Wow! Thanks for all the responses! Would those little clay balls work? Or are they more for hydro?

My mix is about 60/40 coco/vermic. I couldn't find perlite at the time, but I plan to get some when it comes back to the stores. This might be the problem. Vermic is much finer. I will definitely try the perlite when I can find some.

Thsnks again!

Comment

"Those little clay balls" (hydroton) will work for a top cover too. I've used both. It really doesn't matter. And as starramus, said, you could always just heap on some more coco.

60/40 coco/vermiculite sounds like an interesting mix.

Comment

• Spanky
                Spanky commented
                Editing a comment
                The mix is just a guess. I added vermicullite until I could see enough in the mix and until I thought it gave enough drainage.

I put more coco in today and watered more slowly which worked better.

I have been looking a perlite on line. Do you recommend a particular type? It comes in a corse and medium fine, etc. I am thinking larger particles will give more drainage a stay in place on top better?

Spanky
              I use this http://a.co/334TTAw
              It is a good mix of sizes...
              If you are just using it as a top layer you may want to get the coarse, but probably better to have a blend if mixing into Coco. Just M2c

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X