different results with the same strain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

different results with the same strain

The grow before my last was very interesting. I had two plants of the same strain grown from seed. I'm not sure what generation they were though. Grown under exactly the same everything_ so environment wasn't a factor, only genetics. The training was different too. One plant took two weeks longer than the other, was twice as large (at least)_and produced a lot more bud. The small plant had just marginal LST and the other was toped once. The photo attached is pretty revealing.The smaller plant (#1) is about 1 week from harvest and the large one (#2) is about three weeks from harvest. The strain is New York City Sour Diesel Haze Auto. Never had such different results from the same seed!
    Current grow_ coco based medium, Fluence LED lights, AIT, 5 gallon planters,
    liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Yep, that's rather dramatic. I think its called a different phenotype. Different prototypes of the same strain can show very different physical expressions.
    I did two grows of Lavender 2 by Soma. Clones. Different prototypes. Tree trunk vs plant like stems. Incredible floral aroma when smoking vs a lot less. And a number of other physical differences.
    Overall height, pretty much the same. Effects close, but not identical. The more floral, plant like stems gave more kick ass flowers. The tree like stems gave bigger buds and more weight, but less flavor.
    Still kick ass, but some friends did want a second hit. Not so with the more floral.
    Plant genetics are interesting.
    Congrats on a nice looking grow. Enjoy.

Comment

Jason_ Thats sure been my experience too_even with the structure of the same strain_ like you said- my smaller, stouter plants had tighter nodes and nice dense colas almost down the entire length of the branches and similar results with the potency and flavor. especially with this strain. The small one certainly took on its more indica heritage and the larger one its sativa heritage. Interesting how that can work out.
      Oh, by the way_ I was going to leave you and Alttatup (and any others interested) a link to the site where I get some of my edible info and recipes_ and where I got the potency calculator_ might work better for some than it did for me. With less variables I think it might be fairly accurate_ at least a good place to start when you try that first bite!
      Cannabis Cheri: the home consumer's cannabis magazine. Marijuana Recipes, Lifestyle, Education, Health, Activism and More.

liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

Yea got a nice couchlock indica type out of medibud hybrid.Ran it about 6 times before got tired of it.

Comment

So one was topped and the other wasn't? Topping can make a huge difference.

That said, I just read a book about breeding cannabis that discussed how plants that hadn't been "bred back" a lot (i.e. female pollinated by her brother or father) to produce an inbred strain that "breeds true" can have a lot of variability between plants, just as brothers and sisters can look different. Maybe that's what you saw.

Comment

• ZigZag
            ZigZag commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, the tall plant was topped once and the small on not at all. The small one was small from the start so I didn't want to hold it back and wanted it to catch up to the others in height but that never happened so I had to put it on a lift to keep it at the same height. I expected the topped plant would be shorter but with more colas. Maybe topping it put it into some crazy growth spurt? It did really take off once things got going again. And the little one could have just been a runt...but the difference was so much it was surprising.

Morning Zigzag, yeah, the seed banks, try to tell you how they will grow, but that's why they also say that there is 4-5 different phenos, cause they aint got a clue, how they gonna grow.
          They are not nearly as good as the folks who grow corn or soybeans, in my neck of the woods,they know exactly how their seeds are going to grow.
          Maybe one day ,the pot seeds, will be there.
          Cfls for a week or two
          315lec for everything else
          Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
          36x36x63 inch tent.
          6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
          Smart pots
          Molasses
          Autoflowers

Comment

• ZigZag
            ZigZag commented
            Editing a comment
            Thats for sure, especially the first generation strains. In December I just harvested a first generation hybrid _ Wonder dawg_ widely variable THC/CDB range. The one I planted ended up being 12% TNC and 14% CBD. Very good couch lock before bed strain. Now I have another_ CBD OG Kush_ wonder how that ones gonna turn out?
            These guys really covered the bases_" could result in ratios of 1 to 1...or high THC low CBD or High CBD and low THC. Gonna be a surprise for sure. Plants look nice though.

This is one of the main reasons some people prefer growing from clones as opposed to seeds. With the clone the plant will be an exact clone of the mother plant. Look up jack herrar from Seedsman depending on the pheno you get it has like a 4 week variance in flowering time.
          48”x48”x80” flower/main tent
          600w mh/hps
          32”x32”x63” veg tent
          viparspectra PAR 450 led
          FFOF soil, Fox farms nutes, raw silica
          5 gallon Smart Pots
          Current grow Aurora Indica, Girl Scout Cookies, Wonder Woman (all Nirvana)
          Current grow progress: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/159795-locrian99s-2nd-grow

Comment

Thats what I've found for sure. But I can't seem to make my schedule work to use clones so I always end up using seeds. I'm gonna try them sooner or later though. We can't buy them around here either so its a do it yourself. I do like growing from seeds though, you can get whatever strain you'd like and the mystery is part of the process!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X