Flavourless exracts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flavourless exracts?

Hi all, looking for ideas...can you get the taste out of canna honey or butter?

Pure THCA crystals like those made by Oleum extracts seem to have no or very little taste or smell, but in my experience everything else has it.

Comment

• TheGreenGiggler
      TheGreenGiggler commented
      Editing a comment
      Any idea how they refine the crystals?

Unfortunately can't tell you how to get the taste out, but I started using coconut oil instead of butter when I extract for making edibles, and I think it tastes WAY better. I use a crock pot for 24 hrs set only to warm, and follow basic extract procedures from Leafly. I always find that extracts made with butter, or that get to hot, gross me out a bit with the smell and flavor, but not low temp oil. Will still taste like weed a bit though.
    Organic Soil,
    with molasses,
    In a Greenhouse with,
    Redneck engineering.

Comment

• TheGreenGiggler
      Editing a comment
      I found a recommendation for soaking in distilled water for a day or to and then blanching the bud... might try it, seems a bit risky though if it doesn’t work. That’s a bit of waisted at an once a time

Originally posted by GreenhouseEffect View Post
    I started using coconut oil instead of butter when I extract for making edibles, and I think it tastes WAY better.
    Coconut oil is yummy--it smells and tastes like a Mounds bar.

Comment

Alright so here’s the test - 45 g steeped under 3 rotations of demineralized water at room temp for 24 hrs or until water is not leaching any more colour. Add a slight variant on blanching for 5mins (going to sit in a simmer for 4 mins and ice for 1 min - not keen to do a full boil). Decarb (lift unit), then make honey (mighty fast 8hrs).

45g should convert to less weight through the process - 5 cups of honey requires 1oz. 45g should result in excess rather than coming up short. In theory using water that is void of material should draw out the chlorophyll and flavour to a degree, like making tea, but leave the thc. The honey process will pull the THC but have a harder time pulling unwanted flavours as they have already had the bulk removed. Thoughts?

Comment

> Any idea how they refine the crystals?
        No, and I'm curious. I'm guessing there's some serious chemistry involved, possibly. The two companies that I know of that make the stuff aren't talking, calling the process proprietary.

When you vape the white crystals they melt and turn crystal clear. Pretty cool. And pretty potent.

Comment

Water cure. Some people do it to have a stash of low odour weed to smoke in public.

Comment

Ok so this seems to work, but I think I am handling it to much... ideas on easy drying after the water treatment would be welcome

Comment

If I try water curing, I am going to find a jar big enough to fit a whole branch in so I can just lift it out to do the water change. Then I can just hang dry it after the water treatment stage is done.

Comment

Ok so I think it helped the flavour reduction in the honey and the end product seems potent. The test run last night was effective. I would refine the method few steps and items.

1)First I would use the presoak for a longer period. 2-3 days possibly.

2)I would also find a better method to dry. Some kind of drying rack with a warm air flow option. Anyone got an idea on this? Perhaps a dehydrator unit of some sort, anyone got experience with one?

3) I would find a better option to decarb. My lift bit the dust. (Huge piss off there - 300$ and only 5 uses! I will let you know how they handle this with warranty.)

4) There is something to be done about removing as much stem as possible before starting... after the soak I had a lot exposed so removing them after decarb seemed like a no brainer..... but again this seemed to be excessive handling. Fortunately 45 g left a lot of room to damage or loose product - only an ounce was needed for five cups of honey but the remaining was around 37 g of over handled material.

This does require a bit of patient and care, as ou can easily over handle the material! Set up in advance and plan for it to take up space and time for a few days. This seems to work well for muting the flavour, I would say the imperfected method dropped the herb taste by 40-50%. A more refunded second attempt would yeld more.

Comment

I have never tried the water bath soak method before. What I've found works the best for me is to take my weed and make dry ice hash with a fine screen (anything between 25-70 microns)_ I use popcorn buds (anything smaller than thumb sized (once trimmed) and the sugar trim). Then I take the dry ice hash_ using the fine a screen it should be yellow/gold in color.
                  Then I take the hash and decarb it and then make oil with that.
                  I prefer using coconut or olive oil_olive oil is more neutral tasting so often works better with some foods than coconut. But with Thai or Indian food or chocolate the coconut is perfect.
                  Decarb the dry ice hash at 160 degrees in the oil for about 2-6 hrs. The low temp is fine because you already decarbed the hash so all you need to be concerned about is infusing the THC. The dry ice hash hash- through the process of making it_ has removed almost all of the plant material anyway so that takes away a lot of the taste.
                  The more yellow the hash the better_ green means more chlorophyll.
                  Once the infusion is done i pour it through a 160 micron screen which works a lot better than cheesecloth. Typically I use 2 oz of weed to make the hash. Then I decarb the hash and mix it with the oil. You can infuse it directly in a crockpot if you can keep the temp below 180 degrees but for the best results I use a water bath and a candy thermometer to keep the water temp consistently at 160. There is a "warming" burner on our stove and it works perfectly. Once you strain that through the screen you should have a golden oil with practically no MJ taste at all.
                  You can also make rosin from decarbed hash or bud and then infuse that into the oil. It works very quickly because the rosin melts right into the oil. But this is very strong so start out your titrate with just a little. I start with an 1/8 of a teaspoon and take it from there. sometimes I need about a 1/4 teaspoon per serving and once I made some that kept me high for 8 hrs on just an 1/8th_ so thats where I start. Once you know the strength then you can adjust to how many servings are in your recipe!
                  Using the rosin is the cleanest of all_ no residue period. No chlorophyl period. The hash infusion may have a tiny bit of fine sediment in the bottom after screening. This hasn't bothered me. But you could screen it again through a 75 micron screen and then it would be as clean as its gonna get! Yum Yum!
                  Current grow_ coco based medium, Fluence LED lights, AIT, 5 gallon planters,
                  liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

• Jason
                    Jason commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for posting. This could be worth trying.

• TheGreenGiggler
                    Editing a comment
                    Do you need to decarb rosin? Has anyone tried rosin in edibles or honey?

TGG_ Yes, you need to decarb the rosin, far as I know. The heating process to make the rosin doesn't decarb it is what I've been told. Soon I'm going to try and make rosin from decarbed bud or hash and see what happens. Maybe I'll try that tonight. It should be easier than decarbing it afterwards. And it was impossible for me to tell if the rosin was really decarbed or not because it didn't change color like bud does.but it worked really well so I guess it was. Maybe decarbing before making the rosin will also help preserve more of the terpenes. I've made tincture with the rosin which I decarbed after making it and it was killer and used it in edibles too. Just took the frozen rosin out and before it thawed put it in some coconut oil and then it just blended in. Used that in some coconut Thai curry. Tasty stuff. Almost too good....got a little higher than I'd anticipated and it lasted for something close to 8 hrs. Next time I won't have seconds until I know how strong it is! I haven't tried the rosin in honey but I think I will now. Cheers.
                  Current grow_ coco based medium, Fluence LED lights, AIT, 5 gallon planters,
                  liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X