Kindsoil supersoil watering question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kindsoil supersoil watering question

Okay I've read what everyone writes that watering is an art hehe but I'm interested in learning how much everyone waters their plants indoors in supersoil smartpots when they're stretched out flowering and everything else is on point.

For example on my first grow (somango) I watered 1 gallon in a 7 gallon pot about every 3 days. I never had much runoff and the soil was dried out per my moisture meter on the 3rd day.

On my second grow now (haze 1) and I have big budding plants now after 2 weeks of 12/12 in 10 gallon pots and I'm watering 18 cups every 4 days right now and the topsoil is dry pretty much after a day. So I'm considering 3 day and more water until I notice a little run off now that they've already double stretched.
    I'm not lifting 10 gal pots for the weight feel haha.
    Last edited by MarkyJ; 12-22-2017, 12:30 PM.

Everyone's growing conditions are different, so times are gonna vary, but with KindSoil the whole trick is keep it slightly damp, for me that was normally watering every 3-5 days in 3-5gallon SmartPots, an don't ever wash any out the bottom of your pots. You can't mess up KindSoil if you keep your ph in good an you you don't overwater. That's how good that KindSoil is.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

• MarkyJ
      MarkyJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Dass...so do you water a half gallon in a 3 gal pot? I know every strain and conditions vary but I'm curious of the amount of water used...for reference. When my hazes were vegging in 3 gallons they were happy with 6 cups every 3/4 days before final transplant.
      Last edited by MarkyJ; 12-22-2017, 12:52 PM.

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Marky what you got to do is go real slow on your watering till you get used to how much it takes before it starts running off, out the bottom, if you water real slow you can stop before it comes out the bottom, if your paying attention, then just remember how much you used, cup wise or liter wise. Main thing get it good an damp an don't water to runoff an don't water again till it's dry. Good Luck ,plus they will show you when they need water,

I used Kind Soil in my last grow, with a 5 gal smart pot. I did overwater, without runoff, for about a month. After many suggestions from others on here, I changed my watering habits to just when the bottom 1/3 leaves started to wilt. I watered about 1/3 to 1/2 gallon with pH at about 6.5+/-. After two waterings this way, my plant looked healthier than it ever did before. The harvest was good, too. It was my first grow with Kind Soil. Had I not gone overboard with the watering during the first month or so, and had I done more LST (I topped once, nothing else), my yield would probably have been a lot more. You read a lot on here about "your plants will TELL you what they need" and, it's true. So, I wait for my plants to wilt a slight bit, then water less than what I would want to. If the wilted leaves don't improve within 24 hours, I water a little bit more until I see they've bounced back. Hope this helps! I really like the Kind Soil. It's the easiest way, I've found for me, to grow. I tend to overthink things too much and it hurts my plants. Smoke more, think less! Best medicine for me (not my plants) is more medicine! Good luck, Marky!
    3x3x5 Cheapo Tent; Viparspectra PAR450w LED; Hydrofarm DWC Bubbler; 4-in fan and carbon filter; 6-in fan; 4-in fan.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah ,I like the smoke more ,think less part.

Put drip pans under your pots... Start with 1 gallon of water per five gallon of medium.. slowly pour water in.. all of it.. wait five minutes and see what comes out the bottom into the drip pan if anything.. If water comes out of the bottom there are no worries..just leave it in the pan the pot will soak up the water in a few hours..you loose nothing...
    If no water comes out into the drip pan add more until water does come out... just leave it in the pan as well.. It will get soaked back up... You lose nothing..

In fact how I was told by a super soil manufacturer is exactly what I just wrote and have done myself. Further more he also suggested when you do finally figure out how much water your pot will hold (including the water it sucks back up) and pour almost all of it into the top and pour the rest(little over two cups) into the drip pan so the roots get soaked evenly and suck up the bottom water..

Drip pan is a must with a super soil ..you have to make sure your roots get properly soaked.. You loose nothing..!!
    Always water til runoff..
    You don't EVER want your super soil or any medium really to ever go DRY.. the dryer it gets the hotter it gets..

something I've noticed...
    pay attention to your plants reactions to Waters or feeding the leaves will instantly react and Rise after a water or feeding they will stay like that for a few days and when they are the very tallest almost standing straight up that's when your medium is about dry after that point the leaves will start to go back down so when you see the leaves standing at their tallest check your soil and feed them..

Well there is my $.02... More of a ramble really

Comment

• Aloner
      Aloner commented
      Editing a comment
      So drip pan with no riser? Mold/mildew doesn't get to be a problem on the bottom? I was real paranoid about that on my first grow. Would be great to know not to worry for grow #2!

• Green75
      Green75 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes no worries

• Aloner
      Aloner commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent -- thanks!

That probably will work, but I'm sticking with Mr Kinds way of KindSoil, an never water to runoff, nothing hard about it ,all you gotta do is pick up your pots.to tell you when to water,,
    Cfls for a week or two
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

• Green75
      Green75 commented
      Editing a comment
      You must make sure you are getting plenty of water to the very bottom roots... Without runoff there is no way to insure that..
      The medium will suck up runoff through the pot.. Losing nothing and only benefiting...I make a rule to never follow any manufactures suggestions or plan on anything I use lights nutrients anything... Because they have to tell you something..usually their instructions cater to the people who are not very bright and know nothing about anything... It's safe and reserved.. To never waver from their instructions never teaches you anything.. Or shows you possible better ways..
      To each their own tho..that's what makes the world turn..

Yeah, that's what makes the world go round, why change if it's working. All you gotta do is put your hand on the bottom of the smartpot, real easy to tell if the roots are getting water.
    Nothin wrong with changing things, but sure ain't changing things as simple as watering a plant.
    Cfls for a week or two
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

Marky,
      I'm new here, only on my 3rd grow. I follow the lead of those who have gone ahead of me and had success. And I've had success, for me, by listening to them. I am using Kind Soil for the first time this grow. OJH and D.A.A.S have had nothing but good things to say about it, and they seem to do pretty good for themselves. I prefer to listen to them, and to follow directions given to me by the manufacturer himself. If I have no idea how to use my own product I shouldn't be selling it.
      Not following directions can be adventurous but as expensive as seeds are I'm not looking to lose out on any yield because I want to experiment. If it were a batch of cookies, well that's okay, those ingredients are cheap.

Current grow:
      1-300w led, adding another soon
      1 small led not sure wattage
      1 60w cfl
      2-5 gal fiber pots
      Kind Soil
      Compost/perlite
      Water Ph 6.0-6.4
      Seeds:
      Sweet Soma/ auto-fem/00 Seeds
      Sweet Berry Cough/unknown grower/auto-hopefully fem
      Tent 2.5x3x4 increasing in size soon
      Current grow:
      2-300w led lights
      1- 60w cfl for germination
      2- 5 gal fiber pots
      Kind Soil 5lbs per 5 gal pot
      Compost (80%)/perlite (20%)
      Seeds:
      Shaolin Master auto/fem Harvested
      Kush auto/fem (planted 5/13/18) Harvested
      Sweet Soma auto/fem ready to go into her home soon (kind soil)
      Northern Lights auto/fem, put in soil today, waiting for forever home soon.

Comment

• MarkyJ
        MarkyJ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks I agree. My soil gets a lot drier than the top inch and dries out based on my moisture meter. So I’m either following as directed or I’m underwatering if anything. How much do you water, a gallon per 5 gal pot? I have 10 gal And my plants are 32” already so I thought 18c might not be enough anymore and I looking for a base amount people use each watering.
        Last edited by MarkyJ; 12-24-2017, 05:38 PM.

• bluecanoe
        bluecanoe commented
        Editing a comment
        I literally just planted a germinated seed yesterday since switching to Kind Soil and fiber pots. D.A.A.S. told me to slowly add water until I noticed that it was close to runoff. I watered my pots and use a measuring cup to know how much I use. It took right at 7 cups of water before I noticed that water was seeping through the sides of the pots. I will use the lifting the pot method to see when to water, or I will use my fingers. If it's a finger deep and dry I water (I have short fingers). I've been told to let the soil stay somewhat moist. I'm assuming that root rot is not as prominent with fiber pots since air can circulate through the pot and soil. It's supposed to be stupid proof so hopefully I won't screw it up too bad!
        I think light, heat, humidity, air flow and your general environment makes a huge difference in how much you water. I fly by the seat of my pants 99% of the time!
        Lots of luck and a huge yield to you!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X