Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this the right way to treat my water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the right way to treat my water?

I know this is probably a dumb question, but I have never seen it discussed. Can anyone tell me this is the right thing to do?

I put cal/mag in my water. Then I add my nutrients. Then I shake them up and check my Ph. If it is too high, I put in a small amount of Ph down. Then I test the Ph again. If that turns out to be too low, can I put a little Ph up in the bottle until it comes close to a reading of 6? Or, once I have put in either up or down is that it? Do I have to dump the bottle and start over?

I am growing in coir for the first time and I know getting my Ph right is very important. Thanks for any help!

You have it right for the most part, except when it comes to adjusting PH.

(1) Start with Cal / Mag. Add your desired amount to your water, mix well, and let sit a bit.
    (2) Nutrients. Add desired amount to your water, mix well, let sit a bit.
    (3) Check PH. Adjust up OR down as needed.

If you overshoot your PH correction, you really should not use the opposite correction fluid to get your PH back in the other direction.

(3a) If you add too much PH-Down and now your PH is too low, you can add a bit of tap water to your nutrient solution until your PH is back up in the desired range.
    (3b) If you add too much PH-Up and now your PH is too high, add a bit of RO or distilled water to your nutrient solution until your PH is down into the desired range.

Note that either option above will dilute your nutrients some so be aware of that.

This is why you always use your PH adjustment fluids in small amounts. I use a simple plastic syringe so I can measure out my fluids exactly. After you've done it a few times, you'll remember how much PH-Up or Down is needed to get your batches of nutrient solution in range.

Comment

• Spanky
      Spanky commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, John!

Just one question...how long should I let it sit?

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      A couple of minutes.plus you don't need to shake your ph adjusted solution violently, just an easy up an down of your jug. Is all it takes. If you let it sit to long it's gonna change.
      Last edited by D.A.A.S.69; 12-11-2017, 10:49 AM.

• Spanky
      Spanky commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks DAAS69. I should have been more specific. I was actually asking how long I should let the cal/mag water sit before I add my Botanicare Pro Grow, and then how long should I let that combination sit before I PH test it? My Google search gave a wide range of answers.

But you did answer another question I had...I take it that I should use the water at once after it is at the right PH. Meaning I can't mix up a batch to be used in a few days, right?

Oh no. I just realized I have to test my run off! I can't imagine what questions it will bring up once I see the results of that!!

Sounds right to me,JohnC

Comment

How come you add cal/mag first let sit then add other nutrients??

Ive been adding all nutes letting it sit then checking ph
      3rd Grow
      Amnesia Haze, Bubbliciois, Super Skunk
      Tent- 4x4x6.5
      Light- 600w HPS/ 220w COB
      Medium- KindSoil/FFOF
      Pots- 3gal fabric
      Nutrients- None

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I think he might have lock-out OJH.

Certain nutrients when mixed together cause what is called fallout. It makes some nutrients added be null and void. Its all in chemicle reactions of the ingredients in each type of nutrient.

Should always be

Cal/mag
      3 part nutes
      other additives.

The only thing i do different is I use siluca in my mix, which I add the day before adding any other nutes. I needs to break down for like 12 hours before the cal mag is added it has sever fallout if mixed to closely together.
      ~UrbZ~ Grow Big or Go Home!
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-torpedo-seeds

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/185330-urbz-second-grow-journal-3-strain-grow

Comment

• oldjarhead100
        oldjarhead100 commented
        Editing a comment
        thats new I will have to check that out thanks for the heads up

• UrbZ
        UrbZ commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm pretty sure weedpharma shared this info with me on one of my earlier posts. I did a little searching and found a few more references and little more info backing it up.

I find it interesting that in nebulas tutorial it says nothing about using ph down if you’ve gone too far with ph up. I’m not disagreeing with you just surprised me she doesn’t mention that unless I missed it.
      48”x48”x80” flower/main tent
      600w mh/hps
      32”x32”x63” veg tent
      viparspectra PAR 450 led
      FFOF soil, Fox farms nutes, raw silica
      5 gallon Smart Pots
      Current grow Aurora Indica, Girl Scout Cookies, Wonder Woman (all Nirvana)
      Current grow progress: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/159795-locrian99s-2nd-grow

Comment

• UrbZ
        UrbZ commented
        Editing a comment
        The problem when using ph up/down solution unless doing it with natural methods is that its actually not good for the plants in large doses. They use some pretty nasty stuff that by a weed plants standpoint that are harmful.

• Locrian99
        Locrian99 commented
        Editing a comment
        The idea makes sense that you are adding too much stuff to your water. It’s just something I would think would be more prominently mentioned. In looking around the net the only place I can find mention of it is on forums. I didn’t see anything from say general hydroponics etc.

• UrbZ
        UrbZ commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I think out of the 25 or so different articles I read on how to pH water only one or two ever even mentioned it but I have seen it spoken about in several forum topics. Some of the bottles of pH actually tell you to be careful too, with the amount you use.

What UrbZ said, that and you only get one shot at proper ph in my opinion. Once I've gone to far in one direction I toss it out without using it. The fox farms fold out feeding schedule contains all this info in the text and fine print. The literature that comes with GH also agrees.

Comment

In one gallon jugs of tap water I put in 2 drops of chloramine buster stir and let sit over night to let it come up to growroom temp, it also breaks up ammonia and chlorine which can make your weed taste nasty. then add my nutes. The water here is high P.H. but I have learned that 1.5 tsps of lemon juice concentrate, which is about a two second squeeze on the old plastic lemon brings it to 6.0 . Then on watering day, same water treatment add cal-mag & L.J. Thats how I roll.

Comment

UrbZ Damn I've been mixing all my nutes in at one time, so far I don't think I've had any negative repercussions, my girls are still growing like crazy. I'm going to do a little research on the topic myself and learn more about it. Thanks for the heads up
          3rd Grow
          Amnesia Haze, Bubbliciois, Super Skunk
          Tent- 4x4x6.5
          Light- 600w HPS/ 220w COB
          Medium- KindSoil/FFOF
          Pots- 3gal fabric
          Nutrients- None

Comment

• Paracelsus
            Paracelsus commented
            Editing a comment
            Rather than thinking what your doing is the wrong thing consider that the above procedures with have results that affect flavor, taste aroma and yield as well in a positive way
            Last edited by Paracelsus; 12-14-2017, 07:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks everybody!

John C.'s explanation makes it very easy to understand. His suggestions on adding water to adjust PH ought to be in all the related tutorials! Very helpful. If anyone does a search like I did, maybe this thread will come up and help them too!

I am using the pipette that came with my up and down. I start with just one drop and that little bit makes a huge difference in a gallon of water. I don't know how to get out a half a drop, but if I let things sit, as instructed, I might not need it at all.

UrbZ mentions the issue of fallout which is also very useful info.

Thanks again to everyone who took time to respond!

Comment

• Spanky
            Spanky commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey BlueBudz,

I think I get the idea of what you are proposing. Basically it's making a diluted PH up or down solution? If that is correct, it is an ingenious idea. You should patent it!

Thank you for suggesting it!

• BlueBudz
            BlueBudz commented
            Editing a comment
            Ya exactly what I mean! The by using half the container it’s half a drop, or quarter etc..

• Paracelsus
            Paracelsus commented
            Editing a comment
            Great idea BB, I wish we could like the comments, that's where all the nuggets of knowledge seem to be.

I switched from ph up or down to citrus flakes and baking powder works good and its not as harmful to the girls
          new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
          current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Vapo69, I've used ANutrients Rhino skin silica before when I've used to much EarthJuice Crystals ph down, and didn't see any problems, don't think your supposed to but I did.,it will damn sure bring it up, just like molasses will bring it down

Is it o.k to use silicon to bring the ph up if you go too far with the ph down?
          The more I know, the better I grow.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Vapo, I tried to put it here, but I put it in the wrong place, this comment might not be in the wrong place too, its supposed to be above this one about using silica, maybe you can find it. I get confused some times.lol

• Vapo69
            Vapo69 commented
            Editing a comment
            Found it dude thanks......that's what I thought......when I use silicone in a feed, I still have to ph down!?!.....I think it's ok to use!

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Vapo69, I ain't never had no lock-out by using Rhino skin from Advanced Nutrients to raise my ph that was lowered to much by using ph down. I'm like you, I think it's ok.

I was wondering if anyone who lets their treated water sit before doing a PH test could weigh in on how long it should sit after adding each additive?

I reread Nebula's PH and nute tutorials. I had read them before, but this time I was struck by the concept of PH ranges. I guess it was too technical for me on the first go when everything about growing was new to me. This time, I came to the understanding that our plants absorb different elements when the PH is at different levels. So it is a good thing if our PH varies...within the acceptable range...with each watering!

Using her methods and the good advice I gained from this thread, my first cal/mag/nutrient watering of my new born seedlings PHed at 6.0. Runoff was the same! This time, no need for up or down!

I let the cal/mag water sit for about 30 minutes and then added Botanicare ProGrow. Then I let that sit for about half an hour. I gently rocked the jug to bring up anything that settled and did my PH test. Then I gave my seedlings their first drink. A few days later and everything looks fine.

Should I stick with a half hour of "sit" time for each additive?

Thank you!

Comment

• Paracelsus
            Paracelsus commented
            Editing a comment
            Great question, and I have read the articles. I have no experience but I imagine that all that would mater is the final PH after the nutes have all been given the time to rest. I could be wrong but I imagine when the ppm is right with the nutes then the PH could/should be addressed. I await more input from those with real experience.

• Sockfilter
            Sockfilter commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like you are on the right track.

My suggestion would be to keep doing what you are doing. Stay consistent with how you are doing it and fine tune from there in small increments. When we make a lot of drastic changes we really have NO CLUE as to what HELPED or did NOT help us.

I make up 1 gallon jugs ahead of time, with no rest in between cal-mag, micro, grow, bloom. No shaking, lite stir then test pH if ok I run with it, if jug last me 3 days, I will check pH again of the jug just to make sure the pH is ok before (yes a bit OCD) using. Sometimes I have to do a lite pH adjustment based on previous run-off pH.

That is what works for me, it is consistent and hard coded into my brain.

So again, stick with your consistent routine and YES, varying the pH within the range is fine. I like to see a small shift in pH as long as within the proper range..

Good Luck..

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Spanky, I don't intentionally let my adjustments sit for any period of time, after I add nutrients an up-down, I use it , there's no need in waiting for anything, if you got it where you want it ,give it to your plants, no need in waiting.

Everyone is different as long as its working for you stick with it.

For example my watering routine is as follows. I use tap so I fill my jugs with water several days before i plan on using them.

once they have rested i mix my silica into the water the night befor. silica needs to break down in the H2O. Then I take my water upstairs into the warmer part of the house. My basement floor is concrete where i store my jugs Its like 50° to the touch. Temp will fluctuate pH as well. Once Im ready to feed I add in my nutes and additives with no gaps in between each. Then I pH and feed. ive noticed pretty good shift in pH with my line up of nutes and additives when it sits. If I pH right after mixing in advance Ive always had to re pH right before feeding. So I just eliminatined a step. plus too much pH up/down is poison.
          ~UrbZ~ Grow Big or Go Home!
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-torpedo-seeds

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/185330-urbz-second-grow-journal-3-strain-grow

Comment

• oldjarhead100
            oldjarhead100 commented
            Editing a comment
            hey Urbz I grow in my cellar as well ,I had this single electric burner ,I set it up in cellar and I take 64%water from the pot put it in a pan and bring to a boil then pour it back into the bucket of water this brings temp up to 70% I'm still fine tuning the amounts but i'm getting their .It sure beats lugging 5 gallon buckets up and down stairs lol Never knew that about silicon I will incorporate that into my watering as well thanks

• UrbZ
            UrbZ commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes its already getting pretty tedious. Up and down with water all the time. Thats not a bad idea to bring the temp up though. Good idear sir.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X