Madman's 1st grow. DWC journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

My 1st plant is 2 weeks old today. Chrystal number 1, cause I have 2 of these. All of my plants have what appears to be mini leaves coming out of the nodes. My white Rhino is the only plants that does not and it's also 12 days old. My Chrystal number 2 has them and she is only 9 days old.

Happy growing.

Madman

Comment

2 days in the bubble buckets. Looking good so far. Probably top or FIM next week. The 2 bigger plants are about to start their 4th nodes. My white rhino is still way behind the rest. Only 2 nodes and almost 14 days old. My 10 day old Chrystal number 2 has 3 and will likely be at her 4th next week. Pics of the kids.

Happy growing.

Madman

Comment

• St.buds
          St.buds commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice and green looking good

• Madman960
          Madman960 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. I am very happy so far. I check my water levels, ph, and ppms daily. I try not to mess with them much. Still putting out Roots. Can't wait til the upper growth starts.

Madman

Just re-read Nebula's "how to make the best grow environment" and seems like I have everything in the ideal ranges. ( http://www.growweedeasy.com/perfect-growing-environment ) I'm just not certain if my 1500 watt LED would be considered to bright. It's an extremely powerful light. Currently at 22 inches. Plants are responding really well minus 1. My white rhino just doesn't seem to be growing Roots at the same rate as my other plants. Also seems to have slight nute burn even though I changed the reservoir 2 days ago and cut the nutes to 280 ppm from 440 ppm. I started with a ph of 6.1 and let it drift to 6.6 over a couple days. Lowered the ph to 5.5 when I did the res change and at 6.1 today, still not much growth. I figure it will just be a slow growing plant. It's Indica dominant so not very big anyway, I suppose. No real questions at this time. Enjoying the process so far. It's fascinating to see the plants growing at different rates in the same environment. I'm ready to top 2 plants but as they are just starting to push out their 4th nodes, I am holding off. It was hard for me to decide between FIMing or topping. Will try FIMing the white rhino a couple weeks before flipping to 12/12. I currently have my LED set to shut off for 15 minutes every 4 hours or 1.5 hours per day. Most LED manufacturers recommend a 20 minute break every 8 hours. ( based on descriptions on Amazon. ). Mine says best for 12/12. I'm hoping this will keep my light running well for a few grows. I plan to get another tent and an 8 banger T5 for veg and another 1500 watt LED that I currently have for flowering. Want a backup just in case. Really happy with this light so far.

Happy growing.

Madman

Comment

Madman960 Those lil cherub's look great!!! Keep up the good work, bro!!

Comment

Thanks man. I look forward to seeing your next grow with all the new goodies.

Madman

Comment

Attempted to to my Chrystal number 1 and my Super Skunk today. Think I am in between a FIM and top on both. Will know for sure in the next few days. I also raised my light from 22 inches to 30 inches. Just to see if I get any upward growth. I believe the plants are developing root systems in the bubble buckets so little upward growth. However, reading on the manufacturer's page, these lights are extremely powerful and if too close, will actually stunt growth. If no new growth in a few days, I will lower the lights back to 22 inches.

Happy growing.

Madman

Comment

Just a quick question, My Chrystal number 1 plant went from a 5 finger to a 7 finger fan leaf. I thought it was serrated, 3, 5, 5, 7. I forget the order from there. I know it's nothing. I'm just curious is all.

Thanks,

Madman

Comment

• alltatup
                  alltatup commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Madman, sometimes I get an 11-finger leaf here and there!!! You just never know what these wonderful plants are gonna do!!!

• Tika
                  Tika commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There was a recent article in GWE Newsletter about leaves. I've had 13+ leaves...Interesting .

• Madman960
                  Madman960 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Tika and ATU.

Happy growing.

Madman

Just some pictures of the Chrystal number 1 and Super Skunk after topping. Plus root pictures. 1 question about Chrystal #1, when should I remove the 3 finger leaves? The 7 finger leaves will have them completely covered in a few days. Even with bending.

Happy growing.

Madman

Comment

• GRAND
                  GRAND commented
                  Editing a comment
                  These plants and roots, look amazing! Nice job madman, as far as removing those leaves, I would wait a lil. There still useful, I only like to defoliate 2-3 times during veg., it keeps the shocks to a minimum. Again bro, they are looking good, roots are gleaming white! Be Proud!!

Thanks Grand. I'm thrilled my 1st grow is going so well. My other 2 plants are just as green and the Roots are just as white. They are just smaller. My stalks are much thicker now. They were kinda leg and thin when I put them in the bubble buckets. I don't stress if my phone moves. I let it drift between 5.2 and 6.8. I try to keep it between 5.5 and 6.5. I check my ph in the morning when I get up and again before bed. I'm looking forward to the upward explosion of growth once the roots are more developed. I raised my light from 22 to 30 inches but still no upward growth. It's only been like a day and a half so I will give it till Sunday or so before I decide if I should move it back to 22 inches.

I'm also going to have to experiment with temperature once I flip to 12/12. I read a couple articles that claim temperature plays a role in node stretch. I have not found any supporting evidence, so I will just keep[ my day and night temps within 5 degrees and see if it minimises node stretch during the first few weeks of flower. It's my understanding if you keep your node spacing tighter, you get fatter denser buds. Part of the reason for the journal is to see what I can prove or disprove from what I read online so I can focus more on proven stuff for my next grow.

Happy growing.

Madman

Comment

Res change today. All plants got different feedings this time based on how they performed at from being placed in the bubble buckets. Also raised the light back to 40 inches cause my largest plant appeared to be trying to hide from the light. No upward growth after moving to 30 inches. White Rhino is extremely small and had 5 nodes. barely 3 inches tall. Much skinnier than the rest. Roots are extremely white and clean. May have to invest in a new light soon as I can't raise the light any higher unless I make a different style hanger. I most likely will try that first. I may also go to an 18/6 schedule. Likely to get a PAR meter soon. Ordering my COB light on the 1st as well as a second tent. Merry Christmas to me. Chrystal number 1 is 21 days old today.

Happy growing.

Madman

Comment

• GRAND
                    GRAND commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Maybe the white rhino has lazy genetics?!!? The other 3 look good, but I see the W.R. is a touch small for its age. Otherwise, things nice and healthy bro, I think it's coming along nicely!

• Agentbuckwold3
                    Agentbuckwold3 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree with GRAND. They all look healthy and happy outside of the WR being a little bit of a runt. Looking good!

Thanks. Beginners luck maybe, Lol. I think part of the reason the WR isn't growing well is the light being to intense. Moved it back to 40 inches. All plants are now reaching towards the light. They were all perfectly flat before raising. I'm ok with them being flat, but think it's best if they raise towards the light. Not sure that is the correct way to judge light distance, but that's how I'm going to judge for now. Thanks for tagging along.

Happy growing.

Madman

Comment

• GRAND
                    GRAND commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Flat canopy is key for us indoor tent growers!

Grand, That's what I thought. However, with my leaves curling under, I thought it best to raise the light. I can't do 36 inches til I find a different way to hang the light. I'm not sure if it's the nutrient change or raising the lights, but there has been much growth today. When I changed out my buckets this morning, my Super Skunk hadn't grown at all since topping and the 2 future colas were very short and resting on the branches. Now they have grown and are not laying on the branches and all my lower branches grew as well. I guess it's most likely a combination of the 2. Very happy with my choice.

Not sure if you saw my other post. PAR at 23.62 inches is rated 1164 by the manufacturer. The COB was 12xx something. I guess these are serious lights. I only say that because I started at 40 inches and had tight node spacing on my seedlings. I will try to remember to get you a picture of my White Rhino so you can see. My other plants are tight as well just not quite that dramatic. I honestly believe the light is keeping it from growing taller. Going to try topping it if I can get enough space. Want it to get bushy. That or just send it over and hope to get a few good mains. The manufacturer didn't give PAR ratings for anything but 23.62 inches.

Sorry about the ramble.

​​​​​​​Madman

Comment

I got a notice saying Nebula commented here, but when I checked, nothing. How weird is that? LOL.

Also, I don't think my light was the problem. I think it was my fan. I had it pointed at the wall of the tent. Even after raising the light, leaves were continuing to curl. Turned off the fan, and most of the curl is now gone. Plants are starting to uptake lots of water. Can't decide on topping my other 2 plants or not. All plants are nearly 3 weeks old now. Very short and compact from having the light to close. Was going to do soil next but may go hydroponics again cause it will be easier to maintain water temps. Air temp is 70-75 water temp holds at 70 and rh stays 50-70%. Thinking about switching to 12/12 on Christmas so it will be ready for St. Patty's day. This is so I can top my smaller 2 plants and maybe top my other 2 plants once more. So far, DWC is fairly easy.

Happy growing.

Madman

Comment

• NebulaHaze
                      NebulaHaze commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Not sure what happened, but I did subscribe

Same 2 plants as the other day. Just showing how fast the roots are starting to progress. I sprayed them directly with Fertilome and water yesterday. (5mls to 1 quart of water) Fantastic stuff.

Happy growing.

Madman

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X