Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! I smell ammonia during curing

Hi,

I am a first time grower, and just completed a grow with Northern Lights. I dried for 7 days, then put into jars with the 62% Humidity pack.

It's been 6 days, and there is a smell of ammonia. This smell has been consistent though since the day after jarring. The feel dry, but they'll stick together if I move the jar around.

I am leaving the jar open now, but I am worried that bacteria has built up and it will ruin the buds.

What should I do? Are they ruined or will it be ok if I leave the lid off and let them dry out more?

Thank you!

Found this. Read all the response, sounds like it could be dangerous to smoke.

Comment

I've had this happen I think it's from jarring to soon and not burbing or maby even tht some strains are more likely to do this idk this for a fact but just from my experience it was one plant out of one harvest brains escape by kc brain I smelt the ammonia but several other said it just smelt planty we smoke it and no one had any issues but I did not like it

Comment

Don't feel too bad I probably lost 4 or 5 oz do the same thing smell like ass smelled like mold but never could see any visual signs of anything,,, not to worry though do not throw it away, let it cure and dry fully if your smell doesn't go away like mine didn't go away get you a bottle of Everclear, a double boiler, and make hash oil. Reminds me of the late 70s early 80s ☮️

Comment

Sounds to me like you didn't cure them long enough in your jars . Damn near all mine have ammonia or cut grass smell for a couple weeks ,always goes away after 3 or 4 weeks, no sign of chest pain, or stroke even after 20 - 30 years of drying an curing.
          Cfls for a week or two
          315lec for everything else
          Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
          36x36x63 inch tent.
          6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
          Smart pots
          Molasses
          Autoflowers

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            I ain't got a nose like a bloodhound dog but fresh cut wet grass has always had a slight smell of ammonia to me. I didn't mean it smelled so bad you got to wear a gas mask, sorry if I confused you

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            You got a better nose than I do, DAAS!! I can't smell ammonia in the cut grass smell. You must have just a little blood hound in you ;-}

I just didn't want anyone to think that ammonia smell was ok.

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            I probably do

Thanks everyone!

I dumped the jars out and took a look at the buds. The thickest bud has the ammonia smell (nothing visual) , but the others do not really have it... it has a very slight damp feel and the stem bent and kind os split, but didn't break in half. The average sized stems of the batch all snap in half. Should I throw this bud out?

Should I leave the jars open for a night or 2, or just keep doing the daily check and keep them sealed?

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            akron322 do you have a hygrometer to measure the RH inside the jars? If you smell ammonia, leave them out to dry for a while!! Dangerous!!

If it's dry like you say, put your Bovida in an DON'T open your jars, unless you want to get a quick smell, that's what jars do is cure, kinda like whisky in drums, a several month cure is best.
          Cfls for a week or two
          36x36x63 inch tent.
          Smart pots
          Molasses
          Autoflowers

Comment

Ok I'll put them in and leave it.

Another note, I tried smoking it a few days ago and it would pop when I put the slame to it. Any ideas of what that means?

Comment

Ya bra cure is stressful time . Doing its how u figure it out. I'm no expert but I would recommend burping those jars everyday for a couple weeks. Then work ur way to no opening. Doing it is definitely worth ur time.

Comment

No doubt about burping redbeard, your right about that, but I thought he said he had already dried and put bovidas in, I burp mine to for a week or several weeks if still damp. But I don't open my jars Anytime after the humidity an dryness parts are right ,except maybe for a very quick smell. If you big bud is still damp you need to vent or burp it, but if it's pretty dry don't leave it out for several days, over drying is absolutely about as bad as it gets, unless you have some friends that have sticky fingers.Good luck , Nebula has great information on GWE, bout drying an curing, Good Luck 322, after doing it a couple of times ,it's not that hard.
                Cfls for a week or two
                36x36x63 inch tent.
                Smart pots
                Molasses
                Autoflowers

Comment

• akron322
                  akron322 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Is Nebula a member of this forum?

• D.A.A.S.69
                  D.A.A.S.69 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  She and Sirius were awesome enough to take on the extremely difficult task of starting GWE. I'm pretty sure they know what their doing, haha. Good Luck 322

The curing is a magical thing . This last round was lucky enough to have a bunch of jars and try a couple of things. Something I definitely won't do this time is leave buds too big it looked cool but the ones that I had left big smelled grassy longer. Ended up un jarring em and trimmed. DAAAS is right on the money. Lots of good growers on here. Good luck

Comment

I have a guy who I know for a fact stole plants from me. Asshole acts all buddy buddy whenever I see him, not wanting to risk ending up in jail I've let it slide but I really really don't like him. I'd give that big bud to him,tell him its a kick ass strain called karma cleaner, if he survives ask how was it?

Comment

Payback is a bitch

Comment

What is burping? It's hard to tell if its just grassy or if its ammonia. I had my girlfirend smell it since it may just be in my head now, and she thinks it just smells like weed...i may be going crazy.

Rebeard, How small do you keep the buds? The biggest (and strongest smellong) is about 2-2.5" long and maybe 1.25" diameter

Comment

Read Nebulas advice on GWE about drying an curing,. Good Luck
                      Cfls for a week or two
                      36x36x63 inch tent.
                      Smart pots
                      Molasses
                      Autoflowers

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X