Figuring out sex of plants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Figuring out sex of plants

Can you put plants back into veg after you've flipped the switch and found out their sex or do I have to leave them in flowering til the end. They went from 24 hrs at 300watt cfl and they've been on 12/12 for 4 days at 750 watt HPS

Hi Chubbs
    Re-vegging is possible but it's far from ideal. You can read about it on GWE. We did it this year outdoors because we'd brought clones a little early in the season and jumping from 24/0 at the shop to 13/11 or something outdoors in SoCal in April shocked them into flowering.

You can certainly try putting them back on shorter night hours to see if they'd veg again but I'd be tempted to just forge ahead. How long did they veg at 24/0?

For future reference, people often take a clone to determine gender ... once the clone's rooted, switch it to 12/12 and see what happens. The clone will be the same sex as the parent/donor.
    Sand, sea, sun, sausages, and sinsemilla.

About all you can do in life is be who you are. Some people will love you for you. Most will love you for what you can do for them, and some won't like you at all.

-Rita Mae Brown

My Small Tent, Monthly Harvest, Perpetual Auto Grow

My IG

Comment

Thanks for getting back with me Beach...I was familiar with the clone tech, I was just curious if anyone has had success or failure with putting a seed plant through the same process. They've only been at 12/12 for 4 days. They were on 24/0 for 28 days, so they're tall with no extra arms, just the main nodes starting out the trunk. None the less...I'll prolly end up leavin em go and see what happens. I've got 5 blueberry yum yummy in the hole being cloned so maybe it'll gimme a project til they're ready to pot

Comment

Good luck to you, post some pics
        I'll admit I found the whole photo-period thing a bit stressful, worries about light leaks, heat build-up, timings, not opening your tent when you want, etc. ... I find autos much easier and with good genetics they're competitive
        Sand, sea, sun, sausages, and sinsemilla.

About all you can do in life is be who you are. Some people will love you for you. Most will love you for what you can do for them, and some won't like you at all.

-Rita Mae Brown

My Small Tent, Monthly Harvest, Perpetual Auto Grow

My IG

Comment

I agree with beach town brit, it's not ideal , but before feminized seeds we always did it so we were not growing males. After we knew the sex we planted them outside and never had any problems going back to veg. The main draw back imo is the time you lose going back to veg, it will take another couple weeks to start veggin again. So with the 2 weeks to sex them if u put back in veg you've lost a month, but outdoors it didn't matter. If you are growing inside I would just let them go unless they are only a few inches tall, in that case you would get a better harvest if you let them veg a bit longer.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X