Grasshopper plague

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grasshopper plague

Grasshoppers devastated parts of my crop this year. They attacked the sativa more than the indica. They eat the leaves and then the stalks. I found one eating a cardboard box on my porch. I cut their heads off when I find them on plants and the head just keeps eating and the body hops away. They eat all shade leaves from the buds and then buds get sun burned. Does anyone know how to stop grasshoppers?

Pray for a flood. No we all know that is wishing on a star. Bug B Gon concentrate by Ortho is pretty good. The malathion smells like hell and convinces you it is going to work, but Ortho said no. Nolo bait is, but a pipe dream for the ecologically minded. It did not do anything. In fact I think the hoppers eat it for an appetizer. My most effective strategy was to keep my plants in a tilled barren area, and to spray regularly around it.

I had hoppers this year (more varieties than I knew existed), and also battled 100+ degree temperatures. Still I have a very good harvest. Good luck with those sonsabitches!

Comment

• desertdan
      desertdan commented
      Editing a comment
      I too had more varieties than I have ever seen. I had a very good harvest despite the dreaded hoppers. Thanks for the tip.

Anybody use this stuff for grasshopper control? I bought 5 pounds of this overpriced product, and I believe the hoppers liked it for snacking. What a burn!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X