dry & cure or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dry & cure or not

if trying to make hash, should I dry & cure the plant first, or straight from harvest? tks absolute novice

I dry, trim, and then jar for about a week. From then on right to the dry ice bag.
    You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• kingfish
      kingfish commented
      Editing a comment
      I do mine pretty much the same. Except instead of putting mine in a jar. I put mine in a paper bag, then stick it in the freezer for a few days. That loosens up the Trichomes. Then like you said. "right in the dry ice bag".

• Mr.furley
      Mr.furley commented
      Editing a comment
      Good idear, kingfish did thing of using the freezer in advance. Thanks

I'm wondering the same thing about processing medical marijuana for oral ingestion, i.e., oils and butters -- cure first or not? Drying (which is recommended) is not curing, just the first step.
    First-time California outdoor medical backyard grower -- Aurora Indica Feminized plants in soil.

Comment

• Mr.furley
      Mr.furley commented
      Editing a comment
      I ask this a while back and didn't get any answers. Heres how I see it, dry and cure help with taste, smell and potency so it should help, but IV made butter,oil, tincture and lotion from fresh leaf that kicked my butt. Being a MM patient like you, now that I have perpetual I have the means to last a cure so I do unless I'm in need.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm discovering that we have a lot to learn about ways of ingesting medicinal cannabis. I've been cooking fresh leaves in the morning and eating on an empty stomach, and that's medicine that works for around 7 hours. What the "experts" don't know about using fresh leaves, as Mr.furley points out, could fill a book!!! After my experiences eating the leaves, I am more convinced than ever that the least efficient way of using cannabis is to smoke it.

Here's what I intend to do with my November harvest: I will dry my herb and then just put some into the decarb machine I ordered so I can make sub-lingual applications: a little herb and a little coconut oil to aid with digestion. I want to try this both with individual strains and then mixing some of the strains. For ex., yesterday was a good day after I ate Cannatonic and Black Domina leaves, pretty chilled out and relief from pain for hours.

I watched a video about making rosin and the guy in the video said fresh trim makes clear rosin. If you dry and cure your trim, the THC will continue to oxidize and make the rosin cloudy and eventually like butter.

I just harvested a couple plants and the material meant for dry ice hash went straight into the freezer.

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll be looking forward to hear how the hash turns out: it makes sense! People just don't realize how much the good stuff degrades when exposed to the wrong conditions!!

• GreenDragonRon
      GreenDragonRon commented
      Editing a comment
      In a couple of weeks I'll have 5 plants worth of trim and smalls buds, then I'll start making my dry ice hash.

Thanks for sharing your info, good stuff!! Think I'll do trim, dry, cure, freeze, make w/dry ice..

Comment

5330 commented
      Editing a comment
      after further consideration, taking out cure time

For you folks that are new in making Hash. In the process you're only trying to knock the Trichomes (mushroom heads) of the leaf material. So it is very important to choose the right mesh in hash bag. Ever had crappy hash ? That is because the person that made it left too much green material in.
    I use two sizes. Yellow bag 72 microns. and red bag 112 microns. With the yellow bag, (that is my personal stuff) you only get Trichomes. With the red bag I get a little green but the quality is still pretty good. I won't go any higher. Because the quality starts to go down from there. I hope this info helps.

Comment

• GreenDragonRon
      GreenDragonRon commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you run it through the 112 micron after the 72 micron or do you only do one run with your material?

• kingfish
      kingfish commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, run it through the 72 mic first then run the same stuff through the 112 micron bag.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X