Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HYDRO curling yellow leaves, massive TDS build up

Set-Up:
    3x3 grow tent, two GH waterfarms, Viparspectra PAR 600 LED, 4" filtered fan. Light on for 18/6, temps in the 77-81 range, relative humidity 41-57.

I'm 5 days in to my first grow. I've chosen a hydro set-up and ran into some problems. I think I've made correct diagnosis and performed the necessary fixes. I'll describe the problems along with the fixes then ask a question. I thank everyone in advance for replies!

When the seeds germinated I placed them in the hydro with >1/2 strength Advanced Nutrients. The water sat for 24 hours and the pH was in the 6.5 range. They were growing fine until the 5th day. On the 5th day the leaf tips turned yellow and curled. I immediately removed them from the solution and checked the pH. It was off the chart basic and there was massive build up (calcium?) on the drip ring, grow pot and on the stem itself. I tasted the build up and it was neutral. I expected a salty taste, and lack of salt leads me to believe it is calcium and perhaps other dissolved solids. I believe I made a mistake by putting nutrients in the reservoir. I dumped the water and used white distilled vinegar to wash, remove the scale, and rinse the reservoir. I filled it with water that sat for 24 hours, pHed it in the 6.5 range, did not use any nutrients and set the grow pot in the water. I hope the drip ring will act as a flush.

The issue of the pH going from the 6.5 range to extremely basic confuses me. I believed that once the water is properly pHed it was stable and the topping off with properly adjusted water and a reservoir change every two weeks were all that were necessary.

Question: if you have extremely basic water (to the point that there is massive build up of solids) will the pH will continually be basic as the solids build up?

My conclusion is "yes". If this is true, the pH will continually change to basic until all the total dissolved solids are removed. I'm on day two and have adjusted the water twice. Each time the pH changed from the 6.5 range to 7.0+. My fix is reverse osmosis water. I've order a filter. In the meantime, I adjust the water everyday.

Do you guys think I'm on the right track? (I attempted to load pics and insert them. A message box appeared that said I was not authorized to add attachments)

Hey Deez, welcome to the forum!! First off, wait until you have roots growing to start feeding. Seedlings feed off the cotyledons and so don't need nutes.

I'm using AN nutes too, and I have some week-old seedlings in 3" pots in hydro setup, and I put my first dose of nutes in yesterday at about 25% recommended strength. I'm very conservative with nutes, especially at the beginning.

Hydroponics pH range is 5.5 to 6.5 I get my pH down to 5.6 or .7 and let it work its way up to 6.4; then I bring it back down again. BRING YOUR PH DOWN!!!!

I can't respond to the other issues with your water, as to why it went so alkaline, so you must wait for the experts to wake up for responses!!
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

thx alltatup! when you adjust your pH do you do it in a bucket or the reservoir? you said you "let it work its way up" is this a natural occurrence? at what point does the pH stabilize? i live in an area (pretty much an island) so i'm sure the ocean and the soil composition is pretty wacky

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Deez, I add all my nutes to my bucket of water, and the last thing I do before I drain into the reservoir is pH it. I have one of those meters, about to get a new one that's waterproof. Then I check the pH every morning. Where I live the water is soft, so I really don't have much fluctuation, but I still check it EVERY DAY. Yes, it does work its way up, but slowly. I'm using the AN pH perfect right now, so the pH has been much more stable. But it still fluctuates.

So I always have pipettes on hand for dripping pH up or down into the reservoir in between my weekly water change. As I wrote above, I let it work its way up to around 6.3 or .4, and then I will add pH down, stir it into the reservoir to distribute it, put the meter in, and keep adding till I get it to around 5.6 or .7. One of the things I read early on is that the fluctuation (within the correct range) is good, because cannabis roots absorb different nutes better at different ranges.

Once you get within the correct range, you'll see your leaves perk right up!! Just don't overdo the nutes!

What is your waters starting ppm?

As ATU said you're starting with your​ pH too high. You are starting at the top range and for the most part pH will always range up so you have no room for your pH to range. I shoot for 5.5 and let it range up throughout the week. If you are using a drop test it's hard to be exact but that's ok you just need to be close.

The leaves that curled and yellowed. Was it the first round flat leaves?
      Completed #1: http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...dwc-apocalypse

My forever grow.

2x400w MH/HPS (veg 6/2 /flower 12/12)

100w t-5 (nursery)

6"can fan and filter 480cfm max set to 240cfm exhausted outside.

Blue Planet Nutrients Farmer's Pride Organic
      5gal. Eco Oganics pots.

Coco soil and pearl

Light cycle: 6/2 veg. 12/12 flower

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-well-sort-of

Friendly advice:
      If you want to grow top shelf weed, arm yourself with knowledge:
      http://www.growweedeasy.com/basics

Comment

thx pokedsmot! yes. it was the first set of leaves that curled and yellowed. is it normal for these first leaves to curl and yellow? i've pHed the water with a drop kit perhaps i'll buy a quality pen. i don't know what the PPM for dissolved solids but it must be high with the amount off scale accumulation. the starting pH is off the chart basic. the water turned purple when tested. good news is that another set of leaves popped out in the last few days so it appears i caught the pH issue in time. thx to all!

Comment

Howdy deezplantz, I grow DWC as well. I completely drain the reservoirs every week, and refill with fresh pH'ed nutrient mix. At mid week I only add (top off the reservoirs) pH'ed water. I have very 'hard' water here as well and this has prevented excessive buildup in the reservoirs. If You have a bad problem with it, You could try doing a flush (either with plain water or use an agent for flushing) every couple of weeks or so, to clean out the reservoirs.
          Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X