Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it Just Me or is Reading Your Trichomes Really Hard (Pre-Harvest Help Needed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent!! Will take it all in to consideration my dear friends and family (we are family, aren't we).

One thing I noticed. After adding in 400 extra watts of HPS and switching to 11/13, I walked in the next day, and my most leafy plant (Brittania) is just totally yellowing the rest of her fan leaves. Like almost all of them. And she's discarding them one after the other. Now i've read that yellowing leaves is a sign that harvest is near. Should I hasten my harvest based on this development?

i'm just worried cause alltatup mentioned something about trichomes getting ruined after a while. Now that I DO NOT want.
    Originally posted by 420n808
    If you are new to growing, the first time you see the balls, you'll never forget the sight. You will know M-F from that point on.

Oh my days, now that this has happened to me... SO TRUE!!!

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Armadillo, I don't know about that; we all know that leaves yellow as it gets close to harvest, and it sure doesn't sound like light burn; got some pictures???

And yes: we are FAM.

• GreenArmadillo
      GreenArmadillo commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll snap some pics tomorrow when giving them their water+molasses.

• NebulaHaze
      NebulaHaze commented
      Editing a comment
      We'll definitely take a look at the pictures, and hopefully we'll have more insight

Let's do this!

So this is the newest addition. 400 Watts of HPS goodness from the other (used to be naked) side.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170427_163108.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.01 MB ID:	87653

And these are the yellowing leafys (from Brittania). Still no flushing done as of yet btw:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170502_111954.jpg Views:	1 Size:	5.37 MB ID:	87654Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170502_112036.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.97 MB ID:	87655Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170502_112100.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.09 MB ID:	87656Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170502_112114.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.50 MB ID:	87657

Oh yeah, and this is the amount of leaf loss i'm witnessing on an almost daily basis when I walk in to check on the girls in the morning:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170429_145238.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	87684
    Last edited by GreenArmadillo; 05-03-2017, 01:44 PM.
    If you are new to growing, the first time you see the balls, you'll never forget the sight. You will know M-F from that point on.

Comment

Yes, that's a concerning amount of yellowing as it looks the buds still have several weeks to go, maybe a month or more.

Is there a T5 at the top? If so, you want to get the HPS on top if possible, and use the fluorescents for side lighting. The buds at the top get the biggest so you want to make sure they get the best light.

What's the temperature in there? Have you been checking the pH of the water going in and out? What are you using for nutrients? What are your watering habits? Is it possible to get a picture of the whole plant in the setup from a few feet away, just so we can get a better idea of the whole grow space?

That's a huge plant with a lot of bud and I think you have the potential to yield a lot out of it! Those buds look like they want to get a LOT bigger, and they need some time to develop, so it's important to keep the plant as healthy as possible until harvest

Comment

• GreenArmadillo
        GreenArmadillo commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you greatly my dear. <3
        Me and my beautiful babies are very happy to hear you say that.

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Aw shucks, Armadillo, thanks for the shout out!!!

• GreenArmadillo
        GreenArmadillo commented
        Editing a comment
        Wouldn't be here without you girly.

And here are some bud pics from my little sweetheart, Esmerelda. She's the one i've decided to flush and harvest first, because she has the most orange pistils by far.

Name:	IMG_20170502_112214.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	3.16 MB
ID:	87675Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170502_112234.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	3.99 MB
ID:	87676Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170502_112245.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	3.73 MB
ID:	87677Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170502_112332.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	4.31 MB
ID:	87678Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170502_112352.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	3.32 MB
ID:	87679

And the gro room jungle progress as a partial whole

Name:	IMG_20170503_074440.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	3.87 MB
ID:	87680Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170503_074458.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	4.90 MB
ID:	87681Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170503_074503.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	3.73 MB
ID:	87682

Also, NebulaHaze , remember how you asked me a while back about if I was noticing that the buds closest to my supplemental HPS floodlight were any bigger than the other buds. Well when you asked me a month or two ago, it was still much too soon to see any impact. But now I can say certainly and for sure, the bud on the stalk closest to the HPS floodlight is DEFINITELY and significantly chunkier and bigger than the rest of my buds. For sure. I'm definitely gonna snap a picture of it for you soon, but it's at the back of my gro room, so access is kinda limited 'cept when I bring all the girls out for a thorough feeding and draining. That should be soon, and i'll keep you posted big sis. =) <3

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Your girls are BEASTS!!!!!

Those buds are getting huge! I do think it's early to start flushing as those buds will get a LOT bigger if you let them continue fattening for a few more weeks. Harvesting them early will really be cutting yourself short!

I noticed we posted at the same time, and I just wanted to make sure you saw my post from a few minutes ago

Comment

• NebulaHaze
        NebulaHaze commented
        Editing a comment
        You know, alltatup said she had a friend who also experienced some problems by reducing the light schedule, too. I just wanted to connect you because before I spoke with you two, I'd never heard of anyone having problems with that technique, but since two people brought it up so close to each other, I want to investigate further! I thought it might be cool to possibly compare notes. Alltatup, do you happen to know what problems your friend had with reducing the light schedule? I'd just like to make sure I add these instances in a note on the page, just letting people know that some people have had adverse reactions The more info, the better!

• GreenArmadillo
        GreenArmadillo commented
        Editing a comment
        haha, awesome!! I was actually just reading your post on alltats journal.

I don't know if I can say that my leaf yellowing is certainly due to the light hour decrease. The thing is that I noticed it over the days following the light decrease. So it could have been because of the light, but that would be pretty strange, cause it would make it a super fast adaptation. It's hard to imagine the girls started yellowing so aggressively overnight.

Another possible culprit is the ever increasing molasses I add to both my water feeds and my nute feeds. I was building up, and I did end up giving them 1 tbspn/gal. I recall someone warning on another forum that you will notice yellowing leaves if you start using molasses, if you haven't been feeding them to your girls before.

Another thing we have to consider is the increased rate of leaves being discarded, after yellowing their colour, drying up till they're crispy and then falling off.

Started introducing molasses for the first time to my gro, adding 1 tspn/gal on 9/4/17, and continuing @ 1tspn/gal until 23/4/17.
        I gave nutes with 2 tspn/gal molasses on 23/4/17.
        I changed the light schedule on 29/4/17.
        I gave nutes with 2 tspn/gal molasses on 29/4/17.
        I noticed the yellowing on 1/5/17.
        I gave water with 1 tbspn/gal molasses on 2/5/17.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, we really need to go detective mode on this one.
        I would definitely like to compare notes. More knowledge!

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        NebulaHaze I will definitely ask my friend to explain what problems he had and report back.

So yesterday was day 1 of flush for Esmerelda.
      Here's where she's at:

Please do let me know what you think.
      I've definitely learned how to judge trichomes a bit better than since my first post. This time I can actually see that there are a reasonable number of clear trichomes all over, but if i'm not mistaken I definitely see the majority shareholders being the cloudy/milky trichome heads.
      Gonna flush for another twelve days, serving GH FLorakleen with every watering, at a rate of two waterings per week. So got another three flushes scheduled before harvesting. Hopefully it'll be a great harvest window by then.

The run off from my first serving of Florakleen came out with these numbers (the flushing solution I fed was pH 6.18, EC 130 uS/cm2, TDS 60ppm.)
      Water Given Run-off Run-Off pH ECout TDSout
      3 L 600 ml 7.10 816 uS/cm2 374 ppms
      This is a good start, yeah? I feel these numbers are at a good starting point, so i'm quite happy.
      Feel free to skim through the video. When I film my babies i can't help but get excited and film for ages, haha. Must be a daddy thing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170506_152218.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.38 MB ID:	89545
      Last edited by GreenArmadillo; 05-07-2017, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Great movie, Armadillo!! She is so milky she look like a green cow!!!!!

• GreenArmadillo
        GreenArmadillo commented
        Editing a comment
        Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!! Thank the lord that someone has finally said I got milk!!
        That makes me feel a lot more comfortable with what i'm doing now. Feelin' el confidante.

Thanks for checking my baby out. She loves you alltat!

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        And I revere her and her sisters!!!!

Originally posted by GreenArmadillo View Post
      Also, NebulaHaze , remember how you asked me a while back about if I was noticing that the buds closest to my supplemental HPS floodlight were any bigger than the other buds. Well when you asked me a month or two ago, it was still much too soon to see any impact. But now I can say certainly and for sure, the bud on the stalk closest to the HPS floodlight is DEFINITELY and significantly chunkier and bigger than the rest of my buds. For sure. I'm definitely gonna snap a picture of it for you soon, but it's at the back of my gro room, so access is kinda limited 'cept when I bring all the girls out for a thorough feeding and draining. That should be soon, and i'll keep you posted big sis. =) <3
      NebulaHaze ! NebulaHaze ! NebulaHaze !

I snapped up those promised pics.
      Here's the bud closest to the supplemental HPS:

Name:	IMG_20170506_141737.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	3.29 MB
ID:	89538Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170506_141815.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	3.42 MB
ID:	89539

And here's another bud from the same girl, just the other side of the plant:

Name:	IMG_20170506_141754.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	89540Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170506_141856.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	89541

Honestly, the pics don't really show it properly. The bud closest to the HPS is at least twice as big and twice as chunky as the other buds further away.
      I might be able to snap up some better pics when I harvest this beauty.

Comment

You can definitely see it in the pictures! That's a great comparison, I really appreciate you taking the time to take some pics

Comment

• GreenArmadillo
          GreenArmadillo commented
          Editing a comment
          Anything for our beloved mamma Nebula! <3

Originally posted by alltatup View Post

GreenArmadillo I totally feel ya!! It's VERY HARD to hold one of those stupid hand-held things and get a good view of triches. After buying two cheap hand-held scopes and a jeweler's loupe, I find this one works best BUT I GOTTA TAKE MY GLASSES OFF:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It moves like you describe, but I can get glimpses of the triche color. It helps if I drink a glass of wine to steady my hand.

When I know that I'm getting into the harvest zone, I have best luck using this one that connects to my computer:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've taken it into the grow room a few times, and since the microscope suctions onto the pad that comes with it, if I get it situated right, I can catch glimpses of triches. What has worked best for me is to snip off a little bit of bud, and I can see exactly what state the triches are in. It allows you to take pics and even make a video!!
        yeah.
        those are nice clear pics.
        I gota snip a small iner leaf from the bud.
        and set it down on a flat seface ta see with my hand held scop witch is ok.
        But ta try and stand there looking at a bud.. pfff.
        for get it. My eye goes blurry before seeing anything

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X