Looks like bud rot to me :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like bud rot to me :(

These plants are about 6 weeks into flower. I'm pretty sure this is bud rot but wanted to see what you guys think. Ph has been consistently good...6.5 in and out (give or take a tenth either way). I notice a slight smell occasionally when I open the tent...kind of a musty smell. Pistols are darkish. Humidity is too high - 48-54 on average. I'm set up in a 200 sq ft basement and the humidity outside the tent is 43-48% with a 30 pint dehumidifier running 24/7. I dont have a true fresh air intake. I missed that article somehow. I just have a 3" cardboard tube stuck in one of the round vents allowing a small amount of air from outside the tent to get in. The air outside is too wet anyway so I'm not sure how to combat that. Temps were too high during the month long heatwave here. I got a portable AC now so temps are better but occasionally spike to 80. Anyway, I'm just looking for 2 cents before I scrap the ladies. Sooo many lessons learned.
    Started 1st grow 4/28/17
    3x3 Apollo tent
    600w MH/HPS
    Fox Farms Ocean Forest potting soil
    Fox Farm nutes
    White Widow x 2 and Papaya x 2

No idea im just a newbie with this indoor stuff but forreal that is to high for humidty im in FL lol we consistanly have about 75 to 85% humidity outside now i gotta find a way to fight that off i hope not iv done probably close to 20 outdoor grows with me and a couple buddys but i never seen the humidity do nothing to them but maybe because they were outside hmm sorry i cant help any just doing my first indoor grow now
    DWC/hydroton clay pellets600w digital/dimmable ballast,
    250w MH veg,400w HPS flowering,floratrio nute schedule ,48*32*60 grow tent,
    current grow: feminized blue wizard
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...c-grow-journal

Comment

• RubySlippers
      RubySlippers commented
      Editing a comment
      So true! I'm not sure why I can't get the humidity lower. I tried warming up the room but then the inside of the tent was too hot. I honestly feel like I'm doing something fundamentally wrong. Not sure what, but I've had problems every step of the way. Thanks for chipping in!

That doesn't really look like bud rot to me. It looks more like a deficiency or even a pH problem. From the looks of the leaves coming off the bud, the problem appears to be starting on the outer part of the leaves where as bud rot would start with dying stems and yellow leaves all the way (or brown). Just my take on it, but I think you might be able to save her. Hopefully others will comment as well. Best of luck.
    Whoever's growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations! You have won a cruise! Report to security to claim your tickets.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ellz GrowCam Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...pnwuazYQD6URA/
    Ellz GrowCam Time Lapse Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1nS2a9LvXEdmya

1st Hydro Grow: 600W MH/HPS Homemade Bubbleponics Homemade Cabinet - White Poison (White Widow x Durban Poison) COMPLETE! Final yield: 10.2 ounces off 2 plants. 124 days total from seed (34 days vegetative + 90 days flower)

2nd hydro - Peyote Cookies and OG Kush https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-mh-strain-tbd COMPLETE! Final yield: 11.8 ounces combined, 2.7 ounces of Peyote Cookies (150 days from seed), 9.1 ounces of OG Kush (138 days from seed).

Comment

​​​​ellz
      Thanks! You're right, it starts at the outer edges of the leaves and moves inward. I thought it could be heat stress so I dialed back the lamps to 500w. The problem worsened despite cooler temps. Tonight I rehung my reflector to gain some head room then raised it up and turned the ballast back up to 600. I guess I'll see what happens.
      Started 1st grow 4/28/17
      3x3 Apollo tent
      600w MH/HPS
      Fox Farm nutes

Comment

• ellz
        ellz commented
        Editing a comment
        I wish you all the luck in the world with it!

Morning RubySlippers, that doesn't look like bud rot to me ,I'm not saying it couldn't turn into rot but it doesn't look like it to me.. Maybe some heat stress or root problems, Good Luck RS.
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

• RubySlippers
        RubySlippers commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Daas. It's pretty frustrating and stressful. Between the electricity running a big AC and a big dehumidifier and all the lights and fans these ladies are bleeding me dry! I was planning on drying in the tent too. I wonder if the humidity will go down enough once I trim and hang the colas? It hovers around 48% right now.

Hi RS, I'm no expert and you should read up on bud rot on GWE but I'll throw a couple of things out there. Do you have an extraction fan running and small fans for air movement? I wouldn't expect those RH readings to directly cause bud rot. I've read that you really need to get into the buds to find it. Hate touching buds at 6 weeks in flower, but you may need to go to the fattest part of a big bud and crack it a little to see. I've read that bud rot starts in the center and moves out. Good Luck.
      4X4 Gorilla with Solar Storm 440 LED. Coco / perlite, 5 Gallon fabric containers. LST and scrog. Grows to date all Indica Dominant Hybrids

2018 Grow Journal Here -->> (Blackjack, Super Skunk, Critical CBD)

2017 Grow Journal Here -->> (AK 48, Wonder Woman, Master Kush)

Comment

Sheesh

Yeah, I have 4 fans - 2 8", a 10", and a 5". By "extraction fan" do you mean a fan blowing hot/humid air out? I do have a 334cfm inline can fan. Venting to a window. The ducting is pretty long and has some bends. Do you think that could be part of the problem?
        Started 1st grow 4/28/17
        3x3 Apollo tent
        600w MH/HPS
        Fox Farm nutes

Comment

• ellz
          ellz commented
          Editing a comment
          The fewer bends and the shorter the hose the better the air flow. That being said, you should be able to feel a dryer vent like feel at the end of your ducting. If you aren't feeling that, you may need to get an inline booster fan. They are relatively inexpensive and can be installed pretty easily to your current system. I actually had to get one myself and it helps a lot! Here is a 6in version of what I am talking about: https://www.amazon.com/TerraBloom-In...ne+booster+fan

• RubySlippers
          RubySlippers commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Ellz. I do feel exhaust coming out of the duct. I'm a little leery of throwing more money into this. I'm out of money and I'm maxing out 3 circuits in the basement. I'm surprised I haven't burned the house down! I might just hold off on another grow until I can figure out something else. I could afford some nutes or something if I have a deficiency, but I can't seem to figure this out. Thanks again!

• ellz
          ellz commented
          Editing a comment
          No problem. For what it's worth, the inline fan only draws about a half an amp if you wanted to try it...but I understand if you don't. Where is the intake air source located for your inline fan (a carbon filter hanging up top, an open side of the light hood, etc)?

I have a big carbon filter inside the tent at the top. I also stuck a hollow cardboard tube in one of the round vents at the bottom to let some air in. The air outside the tent is 48% rh though. Just opened the tent for the first time since 5am and its 75 degrees and 45% humidity. Lights on from 5p to 5a. I have the inline fan turned to 2 and the speed controller almost to high. The sides of the tent are pretty sucked in. Poor fan is working hard! Just noticed the yellowing has reached the sugar leaves Could this be potassium deficiency? Some of the stems are weak and red.
        First picture shows the tent from the side, the second shows the setup from the inside. Third is early to mid-stage of the issue I have (though I don't see any red stems on those leaves). In the last one you can see the scrubber behind the hood and 3 of 4 fans and a passive dehumidifier hanging from the hood to the right.
        Started 1st grow 4/28/17
        3x3 Apollo tent
        600w MH/HPS
        Fox Farm nutes

Comment

I thought so too, but the yellowing/browning starts at the tips and moves inward.
        Started 1st grow 4/28/17
        3x3 Apollo tent
        600w MH/HPS
        Fox Farm nutes

Comment

Doh! I meant phosphorus deficiency, not potassium.
          Phosphorus deficiencies cause dark splotches on leaves and can appear at the bottom of the plant on some of the oldest leaves. Learn to spot & fix the issue.
          Started 1st grow 4/28/17
          3x3 Apollo tent
          600w MH/HPS
          Fox Farm nutes

Comment

• ellz
            ellz commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you! My grow is all hydro at the moment. I did some soil grows prior to this a few years ago but it has been a while. I start off with nutrient scheduled water (depending on the week of the grow) then top off with only pHed, HydroGuard water throughout the week. I change my nutrient mixture weekly. That being said, I watch the leaves to make sure there are no deficiencies between feeding. I start using nutrients after the first week from seed typically. I give them only pHed water with HydroGuard the first week and then from there maintain the nutrient schedules. In hydro you have to supplement everything! With soil, however, you can get buy with only slight nutrients or just pHed water. One of my grows, I only used minimal nutrients and a lot of Alaska Fish Food water and it turned out okay. Hell, my dad -who is not a grower in any means- planted some seeds in regular soil, watered them with regular tap water and still got bud off of them! LOL!

• RubySlippers
            RubySlippers commented
            Editing a comment
            Ellz, that bit about your dad just totally put this grow into perspective. I'm trying waaayy to hard! I need to keep it simple and stop trying to control everything and make it all perfect. Sorry dude, I am high.

• ellz
            ellz commented
            Editing a comment
            Ruby...you don't ever have to apologize to me for being high!

TheDude777 About 2 weeks to harvest! I'm holding my breathe at this point. They are not looking super good. Lots of larfy bud toward the bottom, not to mention this nute deficiency or whatever. I was planning on testing the phosphorus hypothesis by upping the Tiger Bloom (2-8-4) by 10%. Does that seem reasonable?Fingers crossed!
          Started 1st grow 4/28/17
          3x3 Apollo tent
          600w MH/HPS
          Fox Farm nutes

Comment

• TheDude777
            TheDude777 commented
            Editing a comment
            If you're 2 weeks away from harvest make that your last nute feed. You wanna make sure you get all the nutes out before you harvest. If it was me I would try the bloom with a little extra and make it my last with nutes. Plants in flower have a hard time coming back from issues as all the energy is going to making bigger buds. If you find the nutes helped, I would let it go another week. Just keep an eye on the tricomes and the possible "bud rot" but I really don't think that's it. Could luck man, they do look pretty.

Thanks, dude! Really appreciate it!
          Started 1st grow 4/28/17
          3x3 Apollo tent
          600w MH/HPS
          Fox Farm nutes

Comment

Your humidity is a little high but should not be a problem , since your close to harvest. I would even quit watering her the last week , and not worry over a little deficiency. Good luck with your harvest.
            Cfls for a week or two
            315lec for everything else
            Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
            36x36x63 inch tent.
            6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
            Smart pots
            Molasses
            Autoflowers

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X