New Grower / Light and Heat Stress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Grower / Light and Heat Stress?

I started about 2 months ago on a whim, threw some seeds in pots outside and boom.

I've since then moved everything inside, into a grow tent with 4 150w EQ lamps for now.

Ive kept up with most of the nutrients and water I feel.

Humidity and heat seem to be in check.

My biggest issue now I feel is light. I think one of my plants has heat stress or light burn.

Doc and Ringo.

Doc looks a little rough (fitting right?) And Ringo looks so much better. The only difference is that Doc had lights a tad closer since it is the taller of the two plants

Any feedback would be great.

Doc has upper leaves curling up and brown edges. Underside of leaves are still green and veins are in tact.

These sprouted from ground on May 15th. Just to give a timeline.

Ph was a tad high around 7 but I've been working slowly on lowering it.

Anyways, these plants were more of the first attempt so any gains are awesome and I'm not too concerned about failure , yet lol
    Last edited by Markins06; 06-14-2017, 05:10 PM.

When you move a plant from one enviroment to another, it can have a hard time adapting. Some strains dont care, others might. The biggest reason for the stress involved is because of the light processing systems. They build themselves up to deal with a specific light enviroment, continually changing their structure to cope. Big shifts can be too hard and completely destabilize.

This issue with the one sick looking plant, looks like heat stress. What temperature is the ambient and canopy. They do look like they are deyhdrated or struggling to provide water. Whats the humidity ?

Also what type of lights have you got, do they put out a lot of heat ?
    Written Articles:
    Light Metric Systems
    Using Light Efficiently
    The Light Cycle Debate
    Environment Conditions
    Grow Light Technologies
    How To Compare Grow Lights
    To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
    Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram

Comment

Temp ranges are 68 to 81. Which includes the low with lights off.
      Humidity ranges from 45-55 typically.

Temp around plant itself is 75?

Lights: 4 40w (150w EQ) CFLs 5-6inches away

Comment

here are more pictures from the last week just as a reference

Comment

Everything seems ok, but its obvious the plant is struggling to keep itself hydrated. Perhaps the enviroment change has caused it some stress. So what would be ideal to help it recover, is to allow it to do less work and give it time to recover. So i recommend raising the lights a little bit, maybe 4 inches or so. Just enough light to keep it alive but allow it to recover.
          Also make sure you are not overwatering those pots. Let it dry out, only water if its dry a couple inches from the top of the soil. Overwatering can cause root death and as a result make a plant dehydrate because it does not have enough root structure to provide adequate supply.
          Also raising the humidity will allow the plant to loose less water through transpiration, this can be done with wet towels or water bowels in the grow tent.

Reasses in a week or two.
          Written Articles:
          Light Metric Systems
          Using Light Efficiently
          The Light Cycle Debate
          Environment Conditions
          Grow Light Technologies
          How To Compare Grow Lights
          To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
          Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
          Facebook
          Twitter
          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Danofdanger View Post
            Everything seems ok, but its obvious the plant is struggling to keep itself hydrated. Perhaps the enviroment change has caused it some stress. So what would be ideal to help it recover, is to allow it to do less work and give it time to recover. So i recommend raising the lights a little bit, maybe 4 inches or so. Just enough light to keep it alive but allow it to recover.
            Also make sure you are not overwatering those pots. Let it dry out, only water if its dry a couple inches from the top of the soil. Overwatering can cause root death and as a result make a plant dehydrate because it does not have enough root structure to provide adequate supply.
            Also raising the humidity will allow the plant to loose less water through transpiration, this can be done with wet towels or water bowels in the grow tent.

Reasses in a week or two.
            Okay. My gf and I have gone back and forth on it. That does sound like a good plan. I've been watering very little since transporting in. Only once since actually.

They were overwatered outside bc it rained it's ass off in May.

Great advice. Will add some moisture.

I will definitely follow up.

Comment

• berrypilot
              berrypilot commented
              Editing a comment
              🌱 Good luck and let us know how it goes! 🌱

so here is an updated picture of each plant, Doc and Ringo.

They have recovered well. We believe they were a bit stunted due to starting outside and then being transplanted indoors. We're probably a month or so away from anything final.

So far though I am feeling good about the first attempt. My girl is the savior there; she did a lot of research and has definitely helped with the finer details from time to time.

We're excited - and very appreciative of the suggestions.

Comment

the curling leaves are still a concern though, haven't quite figured all of that out yet but I believe it's due to them continuing to grow and having to raise my CFLs every few days.

Comment

Hello 06 Now that it has recovered , if your using regular cfls for light , they need to be no further 2 or 3 inches away from your plant for her to get any benefit from the lights. How many cfls are you using ?are they the same lights you started with Your plant is pretty.
                Cfls for a week or two
                315lec for everything else
                Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
                36x36x63 inch tent.
                6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
                Smart pots
                Molasses
                Autoflowers

Comment

To me they look overwatered

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.A.S.69 View Post
                    Hello 06 Now that it has recovered , if your using regular cfls for light , they need to be no further 2 or 3 inches away from your plant for her to get any benefit from the lights. How many cfls are you using ?are they the same lights you started with Your plant is pretty.
                    CFLS
                    4 40w (150 watt equivalent) 6500k daylight
                    2 42w (150 watt equivalent) 2700k soft white

running 12-12 for 1.5 weeks or so

and 9fingerleafs, I love the name, and you think so? I have cut back on water cause I felt that same way...It's so hard to tell. I check with both a meter and finger every time. The soil was dry feeling last watering...maybe it'll even out.

Next watering will be water only.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
                      9fingerleafs commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks I might be wrong or maybe the pics are after watering. But they look a little droopy. Only you know when the plant needs water. You should try lifting the pot before and after watering. You'll get used to the weights and will able to tell when they've used up the water

Hey 06 How close are your lights to your plant ? I read earlier on your post they were further away from your plant , I just wanted to know if you brought them closer to your plant ? They need to be no further than 2 or 3 inches away for them to make your plants grow right. Cfls won't burn or stress your plants ,
                    Cfls for a week or two
                    36x36x63 inch tent.
                    Smart pots
                    Molasses
                    Autoflowers

Comment

I've played around with distance a lot I'm currently at about 3-4 inches. I guess I can move them closer?

Comment

Hey 06. Read Nebulas articles on cfls , they need to be close. I wouldn't tell you if it wasn't true , read Nebs articles on cfls under lights on GWE ,you can grow some good buds with those lights ,they just need to be real close. I hate it took so long for me to respond ,but I harvested one of my plants tonight and I'm trimming it right now
                        Cfls for a week or two
                        36x36x63 inch tent.
                        Smart pots
                        Molasses
                        Autoflowers

Comment

You got it bud. No pun intended.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                          X