leaves turning colors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leaves turning colors...

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that's not a deficiency itself. Either roots are roten or ph is way way off

Comment

I moved it from a #3 jiffy pot to a 5gal space bucket with fox farm ocean forest. Hoping tomorrow sees some improvement

Comment

Can't tell if there's a slight improvement...

Comment

Tell me all the specifics you can about your set up

Comment

Until yesterday it was growing for a few weeks in a #3 jiffy pot with a single 23w (100w equal) daylight bulb on it with a small but strong fan set far back blowing towards it. The soil was all espoma organic potting mix (see pics) for a while until I thought it looked like a nutrient deficiency. I added a small handful of fox farm ocean forest to the top of the pot (I know that might not be the best way to mix in the nutrient soil) and

I swear it was a slight improvement for a bit, until the state it was showing in the 1st picture of the original post. The 2nd picture is immediately after moving it into my 5gal space bucket. The pic in post #4 is the next morning.

The plant itself is northern light autoflower from Nirvana. The space bucket has 4 23w daylight CFL in the light lid with a computer fan in the center to blow the excess heat up/out. The bucket has CPU fans opposite each other. the lower of the 2 fans is blowing in, the higher of the 2 blowing out. The sides have these LED discs from IKEA. They probably do nothing . The soil is all fox farm ocean forest. under the soil is white garden rocks (not the tiny size) with plenty of holes drilled to drain. The bucket sits on a buttload of screws to support it up in the drip tray which is just the bottom of another bucket. I can hear the water drain properly.

The pictures below are the plant current 6/15/17 12:14am Eastern time plus the bucket etc. I do realize it's 53% humidity 78 degrees F in the bucket. It's in the laundry room in the basement which is cool down here. I don't know how to make the bucket cooler.

When I peeled the jiffy pot away a few root ends stuck to the side and more so to the bottom, but the pot itself peeled like wet paper. It could have been the condition inside the pot, lack of nutrient, or both. This is my 1st time.

The soil looks a mix of wet and dry. I was going to wait until morning before watering. Also all water used from seed germination to present was bottled. According to google Poland spring has a PH of 6.31. I haven't tested that personally.

I appreciate your responses and assistance!
            Last edited by Randy2310; 06-14-2017, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Well randy. Seems everything is in order except you are not measuring ph. This could be the problem. If the ph of the water you give is too high or too low the ph of the soil also changes and the plant cannot absorb nutrients. But I don't think it's the only problem. I think you have been over watering, not too much but too often. Thus the small size and droopy leaves. Try leaving her dry for a few days, move around the top inch of he soil so it dries faster. Once dry water again. But get something to measure ph with.
              The most accurate way to know when to water is to lift the pot. When it's full of water it's heavy. When it needs watering it feels surprisingly light and weightless. With time you'll be able to tell in a second

Comment

Comment

🌱 I really think it's just overwatered. How is it doing now? 🌱
                  (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧*:・゚✧ Poof!

Comment

Originally posted by berrypilot View Post
                    🌱 I really think it's just overwatered. How is it doing now? 🌱
                    I believe over watering was indeed the main issue, combined with the smaller jiffy pot staying too moist. There's a leaf or 3 near the intake fan that seem to have a lil curling at the tip. Not much and most of them don't have the issue. Also 1-2 tips lower down seem to have a yellow tip. Also pruned some of the original leaves that had burns/turned brown. I'm not very good at knowing what to prune.

Moving it to the space bucket and spacing out the watering by days got me this far...

Comment

• Aloner
                      Aloner commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's the same plant? Looking considerably better!

• Randy2310
                      Randy2310 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      same plant!

Just water less often and it will gain strength. Agree with aloner that looks way better

Comment

Originally posted by 9fingerleafs View Post
                      Just water less often and it will gain strength. Agree with aloner that looks way better
                      Will do. Still haven't checked pH (just going by google of what Poland Spring is) since using the bottled water. but don't think pH was the issue. I'll still order a pH kit from Amazon this weekend

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
                        9fingerleafs commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You are correct. With bottled water ~20 ppm ph is insignificant for the pot so keep using that water. The plant looks very well fed so don't get too crazy with the nutes

• Randy2310
                        Randy2310 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Nothing to get crazy with. From my initial home page to back page read of GWE, I saw a few references that the Fox Farm Ocean Forest in a space bucket is sufficient without adding anything. I haven't even purchased additional nutes to add figuring I wouldn't have to.

This is my 1st grow so I've never gotten this far (I'm not counting a few failed attempts at germination or seedling/sprout stage)

• 9fingerleafs
                        9fingerleafs commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Living proof that the fox farm soil is enough. Very well fed plant

She's getting big. I don't know the 1st thing about pruning excess leaves to let the light hit all the nodes.

Comment

• Aloner
                        Aloner commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sheesh sez:

Strategically remove fan leaves that block bud sites. Try to only take one fan per pair. Don't remove any fans until they have .5 inches stem. If the strain is indica with fat leaves, remove more than a Sativa with thin leaves. If the plant has very tight node spacing, you may need to take more than if the nodes are separated a lot. Remove fans and growth on the lower portions of the plant. Make sure there is good airflow through the plant. Look at the plant from the top at a few angles. You should be able to see the base of the plant through the canopy but not a gaping hole. Those are my thoughts. Others have more and less aggressive methods. Find what works for you and remember you can always remove more leaves later but you can't put them back on . Oh yeah, see GWE for a good article on defoliating.
                        Cannabis Defoliation Tutorial: How to Increase Yields by Removing Leaves
                        Nebula's Flowering Stage Defoliation Tutorial

• 9fingerleafs
                        9fingerleafs commented
                        Editing a comment
                        absolutely wonderfull recovery, very vigorous and healthy, dark but nor burnt leaves and super tight node spacing, you are doing everything fine randy, are you going to transplant again or is it its final pot? cause if you going to transplant better do it soon before it gets too into flowering

What aloner said,
                      I ran out of picture, but here's the idea just don't cut the growth below the black line.
                      your plant looks super, great recovery.
                      You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

Thank you guys. I'm nervous to remove any leaves. I've never gotten this far before. Other than 1 or 2 odd leaves the plant is doing great. I'm worried the entire grow will go tits up if I snip

Comment

• Mr.furley
                          Mr.furley commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Just remember, you can always take more but your can't put them back on. Clip a couple of big fan leafs and give it a day or so.
                          You will do fine.

• 9fingerleafs
                          9fingerleafs commented
                          Editing a comment
                          hey randy everything looks great, this nice people already gave the right advice so i just want to say, if you worry too much about removing leaves and don't feel like it, then just don't remove them, not much will happen if you remove one too many, but absolutely nothing is going to happen if you don't remove leaves. so just do what you feel comfortable with after watching the plant develop and flower it will become easier to plan ahead what to remove for the next time. good luck

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X