Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Cheese Express / Home-built growing cabinet / Here we go!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Cheese Express / Home-built growing cabinet / Here we go!

Started a new grow today, my sixth. Here are the particulars:
    • Strain: Super Cheese Express (Indica-dominant hybrid, feminized 'auto' seed from Positronics Seeds Company)
    • Soil: 4 gallons Fox Farm Happy Frog amended with 1/2 gallon of perlite.
    • Light: G8LED 240-watt full-spectrum LED, supplemented by 90-watt UFO lamp for flowering.
    • Light schedule: 19 hours on / 5 hours off
    • Nutrients: Fox Farm soil trio (Grow Big, Big Bloom, and Tiger Bloom), also using CalMag supplement.
    • Temps / Humidity: Temps are consistently at 70-75 degrees during the day and mid-60's at night. Humidity fluctuates between 20% and 30% year-round.
    • Seed planted in soil on 4/29/2017
    The grow cabinet is a a pool-side plastic storage box that I have upended on it's side. I added some swivel casters to the bottom so that I can move the box around easily. I painted the inside flat wide to get as much light reflectivity as possible and all panel seams have been sealed. I added a foam seal all around the lid (which is now the door) to ensure no air escapes that way. Taking these precautions ensures that air enters only at the bottom and exhausts only at the top.

At the top of the box, I added a 75cfm squirrel-cage extraction fan. Mounted to the fan is a Phresh 4" x 8" carbon filter to remove as much odor as possible. I installed a 120mm computer fan at the bottom that pushes air into the box. There is 25 cubic feet of volume in the box and with the filter attached to the fan (which slows the air flow a bit), I figure I'm still replacing the air in the box at least twice a minute.

Eventually, I'll get rid of the chains and add a light pulley system, but for now the chains give me plenty of control over light height.

Looking at the back of the box, you can see the 120mm intake fan at the bottom and the "exhaust port" at the top. I installed a four-inch duct adapter on the outlet so I can hook the box up to a dryer duct and extract the air to the outside if desired.

I'll post to this thread once a week or so as my grow progresses. I would like as much feedback & suggestions along the way.

Wish me luck!
    Squirrel Cage Extraction Fan with Phresh carbon filter Completed cabinet ready to go Back of the grow cabinet showing the 120mm intake fan (bottom) and 75cfm extraction outlet (top) Completed grow cabinet G8LED 240-watt full-spectrum LED grow lamp supplemented with 90-watt UFO red-spectrum lamp

I use the same light - good choice for the size box you have, and a well made box. Good job. As soon as your girls show their pistils, blast 'em with the red light.
    AutoFlowers - Sour Diesel BlackJack OGKush Delicious Candy
    Gorilla Grow ten 3X3X7.5
    Soil - SunshineMix#4 240 G8LED-90 watt Flower Booster
    General Hydroponics Mix avec CaliMagic

Happy plants grow big buds!

Comment

Nice box! I'm jelly

Comment

Good Sunday morning, everyone!

Time for my weekly journal update, though at this early stage there isn't a whole lot to report. My single seed of "Super Cheese Express" was planted on April 29th and she emerged from the soil on May 4th.

Interestingly, the very first "true" leaf to emerge seemed to have some sort of burn on the very tip of the leaf. I know that Happy Frog isn't that "hot" of a soil so I figure it can't be nutrient burn. I then thought that maybe the LED grow light might have been a little too intense for the young seedling so I raised the light a little bit to ensure 24 inches above the soil line. In any case, the problem has not spread at all.

At this point, she has only received distilled water. My intentions are to not introduce any nutrients for at least another two weeks. Until then, it's steady as she goes, captain!

For anyone interested in reading more about this strain:

Super Cheese Express by Positronics is an autoflowering strain that combines two of the most sought after cannabis plant traits. One, the mouth-watering, skunky-cheese taste coupled with a blissful, afghani-induced body stone. And two, the express delivery. The secret behind these superior traits lies within Super Cheese Express's genetics. This strain takes the majority of its genetic material from parent #1, Super Cheese, an acclaimed commercial strain in the cannabis community, with two Spannabis Cup medals in its pocket. Afghani Express, parent #2, adds its massive resin production and fast-flowering feature.

The cultivation of Super Cheese Express is effortless and this autoflowering strain will reward you with amazing looking buds after only 65 days. The plant grows with a uniform and bushy composition, with short internodal distances, shooting flowers after only a couple of weeks of vegetation. Super Cheese Express produces dense buds with incredible trichome counts, making them appear snowy white. At the end of the flowering cycle, plants will probably stink up the sizeable area around your grow room with intense skunk smell, so be careful if you have nosey neighbors. The yield of the crop is decent at 350-400g/m² indoors and 500g/plant when planted outdoors. Super Cheese Express is rarely grown for the quantity, but rather for the amazing quality that the strain exhibits.

The terpene profile is a natural work of art. The complexity of intensely cheesy aroma will transport experienced users back to the early 80’s, when skunk smells were strong in coffee shops. The newbies will enjoy the rich flavors and taste of sweet cheese. Effects of smoking Super Cheese Express are those of classic Cheese and hashish, inducing an extreme, couch-locking stone with a euphoric buzz. The versatility of effects makes this strain a fun recreational smoke as well as a potent medicine.

Super Cheese Express is a versatile strain with the perfect combination of genetic material, boasting incredible features given by its parent plants. Anyone looking for the familiar and old school taste of cheese, enhanced with the amazing potential of the afghani hash breed, will quickly fall in love with this autoflowering strain.

Comment

Day 17.

Steady as she goes, captain!

Comment

• Jeg
            Jeg commented
            Editing a comment
            Very happy looking plant. Keep it up. And I still really like your box!

Day 25.

Growth is really good.

I was considering starting lite veg nutes at this point but decided against it. Two of the older, single-finger leaves show what looks like nutrient burn on the leaf tips. I find this odd since Fox Farms "Happy Frog" soil is typically light on nutrients. I did include a little Cal/Mag in today's watering, though. I usually keep up on the CalMag throughout my grows due to my use of distilled water and growing under LED lights.

At this point, she has four true nodes, perfectly stacked with about an inch between nodes. I also see a couple of very small bud sites and pistils sprouting everywhere. I'm gonna give it just a couple of more days (no more than) before I supplement the full-spectrum G8LED lamp with the red-spectrum UFO lamp. That'll really get bud development going.

I had also considered FIMming this one. But I decided I'm gonna let this one run "wild", except for maybe some light LSTing of the auxiliary branches to make sure they get plenty of light as she grows. I'm watching the "Fast Buds Auto Contest" thread closely as I want to see what kind of yield I get as compared to those in the other thread.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments. Thanks.
          Last edited by JohnC; 05-29-2017, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Day 33.

Growth this past week has been nothing short of amazing.

She has more than doubled in height, growing from about 4 inches in height at this time last week to almost 10 inches in height this week. She has five lovely nodes, working on her sixth, and there are pistils appearing everywhere. No real bud growth as of yet so I figure she is still in her "stretch" phase.

Since moving here to CO, I have had to deal with extremely low humidity (~ 20%) that seems to have had a major impact on my grows. The low humidity prevents the stomata on the leaves from opening fully (or at all), reducing the transfer of C02 and other gases to the cells of the plant. Slow growth and symptoms similar to nutrient burn can result and if you look at my earlier photos in this thread, you can see a few leaves exhibiting burnt tips.

To combat the low humidity, I purchase a room humidifier and set it up next to the grow cabinet. I've managed to get the humidity up to ~38% but that seems to be the best I can do. I suppose that's a heck of a lot better than 20%. I've had the humidifier for a couple of days now and it could be my imagination but the plant does have a healthier "glow" overall.

I have not yet used any nutrients (other than Cal-Mag) but will probably give her a very light does of veg nutes this week. I don't plan to add the red-spectrum UFO light until I see budlets form and the stretch slows down.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments. Thanks.

Comment

Day 39.

Good morning, folks. Growth this past week has continued unabated.

Today, my "Super Cheese Express" measures just over 16 inches in height, a gain of six inches in the past seven days.

I continue to struggle with my humidity. I'm largely at the mercy of my environment and the humidifier I recently added does help, maintaining the humidity in the cabinet about 5 points above what the ambient humidity is outside of the cabinet. But as mentioned in an earlier posting, I suppose that is better than nothing.

This is the second auto I've grown and it seems to have produced little in the way of foliage / leaves. Up until now, she seems to have concentrated on stretching and now bud growth. I don't know if the lack of leaves is a genetic trait of this strain, or if the low humidity contributed to it. In any case, other than the lack of foliage, she seems to be doing well.

This past week, she received her first light dose of vegetative nutrients along with some Cal/Mag. Since bud growth is now starting, I've supplemented the G8LED grow light with my UFO red-spectrum light. I've attached a PDF document showing my entire journal if anyone is interested.

If anyone has any comments / suggestions, please post. I'd like to know if I'm doing anything wrong or how I might improve things. Thanks.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by JohnC; 06-11-2017, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Day 46.

Plant has grown to 19 inches in height, an increase of 3 inches over seven days. So it appears the stretch is beginning to slow down and growth is shifting towards bud development.

I've only fed light veg nutrients (FF Big Bloom and Grow Big) but will switch over to flowering nutrients (FF Big Bloom and Tiger Bloom) going forward.

Bud growth is well underway and other than the apparent lack of foliage, she appears to be doing well. At least there's no need to worry about defoliating, right?

Comment

Looking just right JC.

Comment

Good morning ladies and gents! Time for my weekly update.

Day 53.

My plant has reached a height of just over 20 inches. It appears at this point the stretch is pretty much done and she is shifting growth to building buds!

This week she had some Cal/Mag along with some flowering nutrients. I've attached my journal for review.

Looking at the top-most part of the plant, you can see the leaves are pointing upwards somewhat and it looks like there is some yellowing of the veins of the upper-most fan leaves. I'm guessing this may be due to too much light; there is about 12 inches of space between the top bud and the lamps; the manufacturer suggests at least 15 inches. Unfortunately, my lamps are pretty much as high they will go.

I'd appreciate any feedback, especially concerning the yellow veins. Is there anything I can do at this point to address that?

Attached Files

Comment

Day 60.

Buds continue to swell. She has definitely taken on a pungent, skunk-cheese smell.

I figure I'm looking at another 15 to 20 days until harvest.

Comment

Day 62.

Just a few trichome shots. Sorry for the fuzziness; it was hell keeping my hand steady using a cell phone with a lens attachment. I have to figure out a way to mount the phone on a tripod.

Comment

• Aloner
                          Aloner commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I got a Glif (adjustable tripod mount for phones) and it works a treat!

Nice shots! Was an enjoyable read. Great work! 👍🏽

Comment

Day 63.

Played around with my camera some more this morning and captured these close-up shots.

Here I am entering the 10th week since she sprouted. None of the pistils have begun to turn brown yet. So I guess I have to rely on the trichomes to tell me when she's ready for harvest. It appears (to me anyway) that the majority of my trichomes are cloudy with very few clear or amber trichs observed.

What do you folks think? Another week? Maybe 10 days?

Comment

• JohnC
                            JohnC commented
                            Editing a comment
                            By all means, Jeg. Any and all advice is welcome.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X