Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sativa Growing Thread

Hello Happy Farmers!

Growing Cannabis Sativa can be a bit tricky both indoors and out. They can be tall, lanky and hard to manage. However the pay-off can bring a farmer very very impressive yields and the wonderful Happy, Euphoric, Energetic, and Social effects that are included in many of the hybrids we shop for today.

The GWE newsletter this weeks talked about growing the tricky Sativa strain - http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=KIG...e39knbPZY7ZiLg - It even mentioned our own alltatup who is a known specialized Sativa grower. If you are a fan of growing Sativa, or have been contemplating growing this strain, but have been a bit nervous, then this thread is for you!

We wanted to start a Sativa Growing thread where those who have grown this strain can come together and share their knowledge of tips, tricks and growing styles they have learned. And for those new to this strain this is the place to get started! So, grab your notes, find a comfy spot and let's have some fun!

Click image for larger version

Name:	sativa-marijuana-strains.png
Views:	1051
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	86797
    Fast Buds GSC & Green Crack Auto's

Veg:
    4x4x6 - 7-gal Smart Pots - Coco/Perlite - 4 300w LED's - Flora Trio + CalMag

Bloom: 4x4x6 - 7-gal Smart Pots - Coco/Perlite - 4 300w LEDs - Flora Trio + CalMag & Superbloom

“…marijuana is one of the safest, therapeutically active substances known to man.” – Judge Francis Young (DEA)

For me personally I love the effects of the sativa, especially when at work. When I smoke an indica, and it doesn't matter if it says it's a low couch-lock strain, it makes my whole body feel heavy and I feel totally unmotivated. Not good when you have a physical job. I usually save indica's for winter when I'm off and stuck indoors.

I worked on a farm that grew Sour D and Blue Dream outdoors - so tasty! I have also grown Lemon Haze, Jock Horror and heavy-leaning sativa hybrids indoors. Up until recently I have been using a 2x4x5 tent and it has been very challenging. Even using all the training techniques I would run out of space fast (except for the Jock Horror auto's). I also had a lot of heat issues with a short tent. I've upgraded to a bigger 6.5 foot tent and things seem to be much better now.

I know a lot of growers will use SCroG for sativa's, but I've learned I like being able to move my pots around or remove them from the tent if I have to so I've been using LST and Topping mostly. I'm sure there are other who have some great idea's for growing these plants - so let's hear them
    Fast Buds GSC & Green Crack Auto's

Veg:
    4x4x6 - 7-gal Smart Pots - Coco/Perlite - 4 300w LED's - Flora Trio + CalMag

Bloom: 4x4x6 - 7-gal Smart Pots - Coco/Perlite - 4 300w LEDs - Flora Trio + CalMag & Superbloom

“…marijuana is one of the safest, therapeutically active substances known to man.” – Judge Francis Young (DEA)

Comment

I love this thread already, but please let's get something straight: I'm still a total newbie, just on my third grow, on my first sativa grow!!!!!!! Jeez, I was just on some other thread telling someone that calyxes were pollen sacs, I'm so embarrassed. I have a very, very long way to go to becoming a "known sativa grower"!!! All that being said,

I'm at the point where I feel pretty much like you do, Tony: indica wipes me out and makes me feel very heavy-headed. I was looking at my strain guideline sheet of all the beans I've bought, and last year, I didn't have the least clue that what I really wanted, what works best for me, is heavy on the sativa side and way light on the indica side.
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

One word of caution to this (sativa growing) tale: WATCH OUT FOR THE FLOWERING STREEEEEEEEEEEEEEETCH!

No, seriously, watch out. Tripling in height is NOTHING for a proper sativa. With my current grow (first grow), my sativas totally blew me away. Starting off looking cute and tiny, they got TALLER THAN ME in a matter of weeks. All this, and still no buds showing. They still continued inching upwards after bud production started btw.

Height. Height. Height.
        My main advice, and something I wish I had known when starting my grow.
        Originally posted by 420n808
        If you are new to growing, the first time you see the balls, you'll never forget the sight. You will know M-F from that point on.

Oh my days, now that this has happened to me... SO TRUE!!!

Comment

• Sean Winchester
          Sean Winchester commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you I'll keep that in mind since I have hight issues with my tent

yes I agree.
        even though I can't smoke any.
        if and when I do, it'll definitely be Sativa.
        that deep couch lock heavy body stone. I just don't care for it.
        I mean in my younger days I used ta smoke like a chimney, but that Indica stone..... ugggg.
        I guess that's why it was easy for me ta give all that up.
        And is probbly the culprit for propoganda nonsense that Marijuana kills ambitions.

So that's wy I did a scrog with with Cinderella 99.
        which is a cross from Jack Herer and a haze.
        I' d also like to Mention that for a Sativa dominant strain i'm in week 7 of flower and I can't see it going past 8-9 weeks. Which I think is quite fast for a sativa. also buds are dense and hard and very easy ta grow. a bit sensitive to powerfull lights and clones take Fairly well compared to some other strains. Sretching within reason (great for scrog, 2 plant's cover 4×6)
        All though I can't say from smoking it my self (yet😈).
        Everything I read on it is very up lifting and realy clear head buzz.
        So.. (Day time stash)
        I realy recomendations this strain for sativa lovers.....
        Last edited by 4barrel; 05-01-2017, 02:31 PM.

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          What's so interesting about the hybrids is how they can breed a strain with heavy sativa characteristics but an indica phenotype that grows fast. I was just reading about the different C99s on SeedSupreme.

Just in response to above comments: here's Purp Haze x Malawi at the start of week 5 of 12/12.and I LST'd them.

I germinated on Feb 28, so this is around day 59 since they sprouted.

Switched to 12/12 on Apr 1, so day 31 of 12/12. I began LSTing them the week I switched to 12/12.

They have stretched like a mofo in the past month. I am slightly confident that my grow box can handle the next, gulp, 9-10 weeks... I shot the pic so you could see the top of the box.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by alltatup; 05-01-2017, 02:58 PM.
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

I've got 2 Pure Power Plants in my tent right now. They've definitely got some sativa growing genetics.

Thankfully I started LSTing them early as they are stretching like crazy now. For my next sativa grow I'll be topping them at least twice. I have a Panama Lime auto I plan to start once my current grow is done and that plant supposedly gets monstrous.

So my advice would be to top and LST for sure.

the attached pic shows about a weeks worth of growth. Pistles and all.
          Last edited by Marley; 05-01-2017, 03:43 PM.
          #TeamAutoMechanics

Previous grow journals:
          Pure Power Plant and Blue Mystic + Freebies
          Girl Scout Cookies and Gorilla Glue (AutoMechanics Grow Thread)

Grow Room Video: https://vimeo.com/218651917

Comment

• StoneyTony
            StoneyTony commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice. I just got my PPP seeds from Nirvana.

• Marley
            Marley commented
            Editing a comment
            Me too. They're growing nicely so far.

As for the effects, I can't say, unfortunately. But I can say I like my wife better when she's finished a bowl of sativa. Lol. She loves the energy she gets from it. None of the meds she's been taking for years have been able to compete in that department. Knowing my personality, I'm sure I'll prefer it as well.
          #TeamAutoMechanics

Previous grow journals:
          Pure Power Plant and Blue Mystic + Freebies
          Girl Scout Cookies and Gorilla Glue (AutoMechanics Grow Thread)

Grow Room Video: https://vimeo.com/218651917

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm tellin ya Marley, you gotta get another job!!!

I feel for your wife and the damn meds she takes; many of us tryna get off those... As soon as I retire I'm going to make an all-out effort to get one out of my life.

Originally posted by Marley View Post
          As for the effects, I can't say, unfortunately. But I can say I like my wife better when she's finished a bowl of sativa. Lol. She loves the energy she gets from it. None of the meds she's been taking for years have been able to compete in that department. Knowing my personality, I'm sure I'll prefer it as well.
          LMAO...
          Thank the Sativa god's.
          and yeah. realy sucks not being able ta sample your own product.

Comment

Originally posted by alltatup View Post

Just in response to above comments: here's Purp Haze x Malawi at the start of week 5 of 12/12.and I LST'd them.

I germinated on Feb 28, so this is around day 59 since they sprouted.

Switched to 12/12 on Apr 1, so day 31 of 12/12. I began LSTing them the week I switched to 12/12.

They have stretched like a mofo in the past month. I am slightly confident that my grow box can handle the next, gulp, 9-10 weeks... I shot the pic so you could see the top of the box.
            Looks great Tat.
            love the structure of your strain
            and yeah C99 is a realy cool plant.
            They look indica it first big fat leaves.
            then suddenly the fingers lean right out lanky looking.
            Sativa taking right over.
            even the clones after the original "seed plant" had 2 months of veg, after rooting the clones go back to an indica appearance.
            it's definitely secured long term realestate in my grow room.

Comment

Unable to like tech difficulty but yes a good thread. Newsletter very clear about the diff. I never hesitated with sativas...just LST..didn't Glenn the difference...and all are pretty equal canopy. I like the day rrippers and will always grow them with my indicate. The audience determines the balance. Blue dream subject to mold...so is Ice...but nip it in the bud and defol.
              Indoor- Coco coir & Perlite - 5 gal Smart pots
              Veg-T5s Flower- Platinum LEDS
              GH Flora Trio Cali-mag, Terpinator Liquid Bloom
              photoperiod feminized seeds
              http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-journal.pdf
              http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...o-May-2017.pdf
              http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-Journal.pdf

Testing for the_honeysticks genetics

Comment

I am still a bit confused about the best way to train these tall and lanky plants. I have a couple of Lemon Haze seeds from Seedsman popping in Rapid Rooters. I had some free Nirvana seeds from my first grow that were unknown but turned out to be pure Sativa phenos. I didn't do well by them for feeding or training (fortunately the Raspberry Cough and Mango Skunk Indica predominant genetics came out great.) I hear that you do not manifold or "mainline" like you do with Indica. Do you just FIM and LST? Can you continue to LST in the flowering phase?

Comment

• Marley
                  Marley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've continued LST during flower. Every few days I pull the stems down a bit more and tighten up the ties.

Here's one of my PPP's.

• alltatup
                  alltatup commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I LST'd my girls the week I switched to 12/12. I think it worked great, even though my canopy isn't completely even. Every major bud site is getting lots of light.

Check out how a buddy manifolded the same strain:

Just fast forward to the pics: you won't BELIEVE how big his buds got...

• StoneyTony
                  StoneyTony commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Newf - You can absolutely Top and Mainline sativa's. You can get monster yields by doing so. I have mainlined my two hybrids right now - Swiss Cheese and Wonder Woman.

Yeah, sativa's grown indoors can be challenging. I usually grow hybrids inside but I decided to throw in a few ' freebies' that Nirvana sent me. Lets just say that I am currently engaged in single handed combat with one of these lanky bitches and it's a losing battle. I ended up doing some serious hst to lay the limbs over and she now has taken over the entire corner of my grow space. If she has any potency it should be a nice producer-just be aware..
                WHAT???
                5x5 grow space
                900w of Vero's and F-strips
                4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

• Marley
                  Marley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I ended up with 2 of those as well, (maybe more, I haven't grown all the freebies yet). They were very sativa dominant in their growth characteristics and getting massive but they both turned out to be male, which was really disappointing.

• DingusKhan
                  DingusKhan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh damn, that sucks.

• WeirdWiredWolf
                  WeirdWiredWolf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm now thinking that the 'mystery' seeds I have might be sativa...the first one is lanky and all over the place and LST is a bitch (outpacing the 'harness' I have around the pot to secure ties) so I've generally stopped actively trying to train and just tie branches down anywhere I can. Its younger sibling is somewhat better as I topped it sooner, but still starting to outgrow its bucket home...Ima gonna need a grow tent.

Pics of the unruly girl. She takes up the entire corner of my grow space. Without some means of lateral support and a 8 ft ceiling, she's tough to manage.
                WHAT???
                5x5 grow space
                900w of Vero's and F-strips
                4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

• Marley
                  Marley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a monster right there

• StoneyTony
                  StoneyTony commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Damn! That's gonna be a good harvest! What are you growing?

• GreenArmadillo
                  GreenArmadillo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	5.14 MB
ID:	87427

They exploded with growth after a two day flush. Read all the gorey details on my journal thread...

Comment

• StoneyTony
                  StoneyTony commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I just read through your grow - - I agree with the others, it would be nice to cut n paste those guild lines you put together on Sativas to here.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X