Germinating with Rapid Rooters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Germinating with Rapid Rooters

Sorry if this has been addressed...I understand that I need to keep Rapid Rooters warm and moist, but does it need to be in the dark as well? I keep finding conflicting advice. Thanks!
    Started 1st grow 4/28/17
    3x3 Apollo tent
    600w MH/HPS
    Fox Farms Ocean Forest potting soil
    Fox Farm nutes
    White Widow x 2 and Papaya x 2

It does not need to be dark, but be careful not to put it under strong light as seedlings can burn easily. I have used a small fluorescent seedling lamp from the beginning with good effect. They do not require light to germinate, but if you wait too long to put them under light they will stretch.

Comment

Thanks, Newf. I guess I'm just nervous and impatient. I started germinating on Sunday and I have no growth at this point. Hygrometer reads about 75 degrees and 80% humidity under an incandescent bulb. I guess I'll give it a few more days.
      Started 1st grow 4/28/17
      3x3 Apollo tent
      600w MH/HPS
      Fox Farm nutes

Comment

• Newf
        Newf commented
        Editing a comment
        Always tough to wait for them to pop. Do you have seeds from a company or bag seed? I have been soaking in water for 12 to 18 hours then in a warm, wet paper towel (don't let it dry out) until they crack before I put them in the rapid rooters. That way I know the seed it good.

Comment

I bought the seeds online. Great advice regarding cracking first then moving to the Rapid Rooters. I'm going to let nature do her thing in the RR, but if there's no seedling in a week I might pull the seeds out and try the paper towel. Then transfer back to the RR.
        Started 1st grow 4/28/17
        3x3 Apollo tent
        600w MH/HPS
        Fox Farm nutes

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Ruby, I have learned to put them in the RRs, check them twice and day and just leave them alone otherwise, You could raise the heat to 80, sometimes they pop right up in a couple of days, sometimes 5-7 days. I don't soak em; I just pop em right in the RRs in a germ tray and lid with vent, w/ heating pad

• Tika
          Tika commented
          Editing a comment
          Same as Alltatup here. Straight to RR ( RRs in a tray made for them) pointy end of seed down. I use a dome on top of the large tray. and mist the dome with pH 6 water and it sits on a heat mat. I am in semi dark-seedlings a bit yellow due to no light but as soon as I see root and some seedling they go into their little starter pots and under T5s.

Newf ....great little concise tutorial of pics only there....very helpful
        "i try to play the ball not the opponent."--Roger Federer

Comment

Thanks again Newf. Great pics!
          Started 1st grow 4/28/17
          3x3 Apollo tent
          600w MH/HPS
          Fox Farm nutes

Comment

its a personal preference I have soaked mine but dont any more, now I put them in wet paper towels on a plate sitting on my cable box for heat. once they have cracked I split a rapidrooter in half and lay the seed in it close it back up and place in a dome. couple of days everything is up and growing. its what works best for you. old seed does take much longer to crack than new seed . dont know why that is I think the shell gets harder. just be very very careful with the seeds when the tap root is showing break it and game over
            new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
            current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

I use Rapid rooters to Germ. I simply soak them in water for a bit squeeze them out so they are not dripping wet, i put the seed down inside the hole and pull a tiny chunk of the rapid rooter off the bottom to cover the seed hole. within 2-3 days she pokes her head out. Just remember to keep the rooter moist but not soaked and wait. I have had 100% germ rate this way with at least 30+ different seeds from different strains over the last few years.

But as said above it is whatever works for you. find a way that make sense to you and you will find things go easier when you are confident in your process.
              3x3 veg tent
              2 - 4x4 flower tents

growing for 3 years ( 3 Harvest per year all from seed)

current grow 2 White Widow and 2 GSC . 9 weeks into flower manifolded in pod style DWC's

Veg tent has 3 week old Wonder Woman and AK-48, Just manifolded all 4

Currently use full line of General Hydroponics with Flora Trio

Comment

Thanks, everyone! Patience proved worthwhile...2 of the 4 have popped! The tap root is actually growing through the bottom of the RR so I'm thinking it's time to graduate to a larger container. My final container will be a 5 gallon fabric pot (The ones recommended on this site. Can't think of the brand off hand.) I don't have my tent 100% ready so I was thinking of transplanting the RR to a 12oz coffee cup. Ghetto, I know. Good idea, or no?
                Started 1st grow 4/28/17
                3x3 Apollo tent
                600w MH/HPS
                Fox Farm nutes

Comment

• Newf
                  Newf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I take all my rapid rooters and put them in a plastic Solo cup full of good soil once that tap root comes out. After a couple of weeks they are big enough to put in their final pots. Just make sure whatever you put them in has some drainage. (I poke holes in the bottom of the plastic cups.)

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X