Safety pins and LST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safety pins and LST

Afternoon all......I`ve been mucking around with this auto and tried putting safety pins onto-not through- branches(Comes if you listen to the Ramones I suppose) to see what would happen and noticed that the buds seem to be responding really well. Can anyone explain in layman`s terms why this might be happening please or is it just normal anyway...Plant: Black Cream Auto....thanks folks and be mellow Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20161030_14_33_28_Pro[1].jpg
Views:	508
Size:	5.37 MB
ID:	8403 Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20161030_14_33_40_Pro[1].jpg
Views:	118
Size:	4.42 MB
ID:	8404

Is that a before and after picture using the safety pins? How much time has passed? Second picture,, those are beautiful buds and without seeing them in person look ready to harvest. Have no idea what the safety pins did.

Comment

Thanks Insomniac and very good name...know that feeling...no, not ready, reckon another 4 weeks in truth.....same time frame....here`s from above....pins used to train circular and noticed that they were `biting` into the stems but that I had a low growth and positive bud ratio to just centre main growth if that makes sense (?) Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20161030_15_04_10_Pro[1].jpg
Views:	104
Size:	5.07 MB
ID:	8436

Comment

Sorry to hear you have a sleep problem too. You certainly don't want the pins digging into the flesh of stems. Same principle that string is not recommended. All in all good look plant, and since it's an auto you should be able to follow the grow guidelines for that strain. 4 more weeks - wow! I know pictures can sometimes be deceiving.

Comment

Pagan, Please explain the safety pin thing. Do you actually stick the pin into the stem? That would be contrary to everthing I do.
          Last edited by kingfish; 10-30-2016, 10:40 AM.

Comment

I don't understand what you are doing with the pins. Are they just holding the cola down to the side of the pot?
            i use metal paper clips.

A man believes what a man desires to be true.

Comment

Nice looking plant Gordo and Insomniac...pictures are always subjective but I am surprised as I have treated this plant real bad but what I`m hitting it nutes wise is pokey so that`s my thinking (A kind of work in process)...Kingfisher and Gordo the safety pin encloses the stem tightly on two sides forcing (my thinking) the plant to push more juice to counter this stress up to the bud...no stabbing but more of a growing around. I know of one guy who places a plastic clothes peg to the main stem and reckons it increases root and bud....so its a tangent of that. It initially started by me tying the growth to the pot edges with safety pins though not piercing growth and I got 3-3.5 ounces per auto x 3 in previous grow which for auto`s is not bad going in my experience. The metre squared rule is definitely beatable for auto`s I find

Comment

No denying it Pagan, what ever you do has excellent results Those are gorgeous plants.

Comment

• PaganRich
                  PaganRich commented
                  Editing a comment
                  To be honest I think it`s down to the Compost Tea....totally organic...smell, taste and `hit` are different to what`s on the streets

Thanks Kingfish....that`s very kind of you mate

Comment

Sorry folks....tried to get hand to show some sense of proportion so why not a great pic it does show one of the colas and whilst Dark Choc does produce large colas this is not finished yet so it may be inferring that a more robust restriction could possibly, taking all things into account, weighing up the pros and cons and keeping an open mind whilst still keeping a sense of perspective......where was I?.....oh yes....it might work

Comment

You got growing down my friend. That looks fat.

Comment

To be honest Kingfish it`s all down to the kindness of people like yourself, Nebula, this site and all the other growers. I`ve only been doing this a year last friday in fact. I live in the sticks and so the only info I get is what people unselfishly put out there otherwise I wouldn`t have a clue. Plus this and Orchids are the only things I don`t kill off on a regular basis and I`ve had some baaaaaaaad grows Still long way to go that`s why I`m really excited about this site and this info sharing....really helps me loads

Comment

• kingfish
                        kingfish commented
                        Editing a comment
                        We're glad to help. It makes us feel good.

I planted a few autos this last grow and used minimal LST, wanted them to finish before i had to leave for a month.They did and the harvest was decent but not what I'd hoped for. Only got about 2 oz /plant which is only about a 1/3 of what I've been getting from Photoperiod strains.
                      I live in the "sticks" too and during the winter usually loose power for at least an hour every month, likely more often than that. This can really put the photoperiod plants off schedule.
                      Last grow I planted 3 of each and the autos finished a week late (expected, I always add a week at least) and the photoperiod were about 2-3 weeks late. Almost didn't make that deadline (power was out twice).
                      Could this also be a result of the autos having the photoperiod cut back to 12/12 on the 5th week, instead of getting 20/4 hrs for the entire grow ?
                      I expected to get less than published because I didn't LST them very much but not so much less.
                      For the next grow I'm thinking of growing two strains of autos_ FIMing two of them with some LST only afterwards, two with a bit more aggressive LST but no FIMing, and two with more aggressive LST and increased defoliation.
                      So it would be great to see how the safety pin idea works out....maybe I could try that with one of the plants that were going to be LST only.

So how tight do you "pinch" the stems/branches?
                      The idea behind this technique sounds a bit like what I tried with a photoperiod plant_pinching the stem/branch and then bending it over_ as shown in the training technique tutorial provided so generously. I did this out of frustration because I had one cola that exploded upwards after I'd been gone for only 3 days and I couldn't get it to bend over far enough. It definitely put that stem back a week or more resulting in the others catching up to it. And it still ended up with the largest main cola by a margin to the 6 others
                      Do you remove the pins after a few weeks or leave them until harvest ?
                      When I bent the main stem 45 degrees the outside was ok- no breaks or cracks but the inside was compressed considerably, like down to about a 1/3 of what it was.....
                      Be great to see how this works for you....are you going to keep pining branches out to the sides or just LST from here on out?
                      Do you think this has put enough stress on your plant to put it more behind schedule?

Thanks and cheers to a great grow!
                      Current grow_ coco based medium, Fluence LED lights, AIT, 5 gallon planters,
                      liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

• PaganRich
                        PaganRich commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Missed a couple...the stretch is something i still need more experience with but I`ve bent those girls into positions that would give the KarmaSutra a run for its money...I am brutal, possibly/ maybe too much...don`t know...auto grows didn`t work for me with Scrog so know I`m working circular and very very low...20"`s above soil roughly and it`s working well plus no cutting. I really stress by pinning them down mainly with galvanised tent pegs....once pegged they ain`t going anywhere unexpected mawahahahahahaha

Yeap...12/12 whilst not stopping them slows them down slightly...I add a month if it`s mainly 12/12`s cos I run auto`s as a kind of filler alongside a one run of normals which can allow 2 runs of auto`s but it never quite works out that way. I cut lights when I have people here like repairs, etc and it`s never been an issue for both types for me so that was new info for me to be aware of. This grow is part chemicals for three of them and they are much, much faster than organics. Over here 2 ounces is considered a fair hit auto wise for some strains and I`d be okay with that but like you would what to up the yield however it`s difficult with auto`s sometimes but then I`m still new to this so I can only give a limited opinion really.
                      I heard of this lad who uses clothes pegs. One at the base of the main stem and allows it to grow around, says it helps increase root/ bud production...he hits 6-8 ounces with each plant as an average. When I used safety pins to tie stems to the fabric pots I began to notice that it was having a similiar effect in general so now what I`ve done is to try this grow with the following: Liberty Haze, Tutankhamun auto, Critical Kush, Knockout & Californian Snow auto. Half chem, half org...I am now placing pins around, not through stems, pinching them tightish efore I attach to see if this will force bigger stems on all growth stems. One pin per stem. I also hit with a mild but stiffer breeze as well as brutal pin downs and with no auto`s heavy de-fol....phew...think I covered that Yes...stress can delay however if you can get them going well then they do bounce back almost immediately however I`ve found that with auto`s and poorly ones then you`ve got time to paint the house and make a packed lunch before anything re-starts...I`ve got a couple of posts running pics if that helps on GWE...might say more......good chat mate, enjoyed it

Comment

• ZigZag
                        ZigZag commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks, I'll be watching your progress...success I'm sure! I can't start another grow till the new year so your experience will help me make those decisions. 6-8 oz for an auto sounds awesome but I'm going to expect that! 3-4 would make me happy. Big smile! Good to see there's someone else out there growing both autos and photoperiod at the same time. I'm going to go with all autos for the next one so I can get more experience with them. Thanks and I'll be catching your posts.
                        Cheers to all!

Zigzag...easier to show in a sense to give an idea

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X