Gordo's long term storage method.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gordo's long term storage method.

Nothing new here, i"m just doing what many others have done in the past but i know the question of what's the best way to stor buds long term has come up from time to time. First I put my buds in qt jars to cure them as usual. After a month or so of opening every day two or three times,, it's time to either smoke it or store it.
    this last grow produced 10 jars of buds losely packed. so I must do something with all that weed, so I take 2 qt jars and compress it down to 1 pint jar.
    Even with that i find there is still room at the top of the pint jar for another QT or so. I made a tool to pack the jar with,, out of a 1x1 piece of wood and a round plastic disk just the right size to fit in the jar. Once I squeeze as much air out of the jar as i can,, i put it in the freezer. It can remain there for years without losing any potency or not so you would notice.
    I'm still vaping stuff i grew in 2012 and its as good as the day I put it in the freezer. Just remember to let the buds defrost before attempting to remove some of the buds.
    even after defrosting it may require tweezers to get the buds out.
    Here's a few pics
    A man believes what a man desires to be true.

Interesting! I've never packed buds down like that, but after experimenting with a few different storage techniques over the years, I've also found that freezing buds in glass jars seems to be one of the best ways to store cannabis long-term without losing potency!

Comment

Aside from cosmetic changes what you're doing is probably the most effective conventional method you or I could use. Tamp it down enough and you start to make a leafy hash ball.....
      WHAT???
      5x5 grow space
      900w of Vero's and F-strips
      4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Thanks, Gordo!! Ingenious!!
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

this is a good way to store it. i tried vacuum sealing it in bags and think the glass would be better. just have to find a way to expel the air out of the jar because air holds moister and when it thaws out the moisture will make things a bit wet.

Comment

Storing long term is a question I've asked - and this is, to date, my favorite answer. I've been sealing them in 2 qt jars with a Boveda pack and placing them in a dark, cool closet. Do you wait until your buds register a specific humidity level before packing them in jars? How do you seal the jars? I use heat when sealing vegetables in jars but that doesn't see wise for cannabis.

Thanks for the info!
          I like big buds and I can not lie.

Somango XXL (3 gal)
          Blue Mystic (7 gal)
          VIPARSPECTRA 450W LED Grow Light
          Coco Coir w/30% perlite
          Fox Farms Nutrients plus Cal-Mag Plus

Comment

• Gordo41
            Gordo41 commented
            Editing a comment
            Good question. I Wait till the buds are at the point of wetness or dryness whatever, that i would smoke/vape it at. Once in the jars, the humidity should not change over time. I tend to store them a little on the dry side bc the buds can develop mildue if wet, even in the freezer. I bring it back to a normal humidity if needed when i take it out of the freezer.

YES! This is very interesting Gordo! Cool Tool!
          Indoor- Coco coir & Perlite - 5 gal Smart pots
          Veg-T5s Flower- Platinum LEDS
          GH Flora Trio Cali-mag, Terpinator Liquid Bloom
          photoperiod feminized seeds
          http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-journal.pdf
          http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...o-May-2017.pdf
          http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-Journal.pdf

Testing for the_honeysticks genetics

Comment

Thanks for the information. I will try it if I ever have any to store, it all seems to 'disappear in smoke' (LOL!).
            Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• DW2
              DW2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Like Curly of the 3 stooges said "When at first you Don't succeed, keep on suckin' until You do succeed!"! LOL

• PuravidaC
              PuravidaC commented
              Editing a comment
              Gotta agree with you Gordo! Couldn't wait for first harvest so I could stop buying, all part of my retirement plan. Now after a couple of grows I feel like I'm getting low when I'm down to 4 or 5 quart jars!!! 😆

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              Damn, PuravidaC, I wish I had your problems.

Gordo, thanks for this....very helpful!!
            "i try to play the ball not the opponent."--Roger Federer

Comment

when i was a kid and was around when my aunts used to preserve stuff they used plain ol wax to seal whatever they were preserving. gulf wax brand name iirc...

if you made a "platform" for the wax to "sit on" then you could use it and that's a 100% moisture barrier. don't know if you'd want to go to the trouble tho....

Comment

Yeah I thought about that. I use to can tomatos but it is a lot of work and I'm not sure the extra work would make it last longer. like i said, I'm smoking stuff from 2012 and I dont think Most growers keep smoke around that long.

Comment

• bobsakamoto
                  bobsakamoto commented
                  Editing a comment
                  welp, that's good to know cuz given the current regulatory/political climate, i think hoarding should be seriously considered. kinda joking mostly not.

To continue,, as some have asked questions about vacuum sealing, here is my setup. It works well but the vacuum unit runs out of power rather quickly as it is battery powered. Better to buy a hand pump used for break jobs.
                Here are some photos showing my rig.
                Last edited by Gordo41; 03-01-2017, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• alltatup
                  alltatup commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's quite PRO!!!!

Now that is very very cool..looking into that! Thanks Gordo!
                Indoor- Coco coir & Perlite - 5 gal Smart pots
                Veg-T5s Flower- Platinum LEDS
                GH Flora Trio Cali-mag, Terpinator Liquid Bloom
                photoperiod feminized seeds
                http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-journal.pdf
                http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...o-May-2017.pdf
                http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-Journal.pdf

Testing for the_honeysticks genetics

Comment

if you have an air mattress that came with its own pump, those usually have a reverse/suck air out feature. if the attachment on Gordo41 foodsaver device there is universal then you could use that pump. or purchase one separately i guess.

Comment

• bobsakamoto
                    bobsakamoto commented
                    Editing a comment
                    well the pump that came with my air mattress deflates the whole thing--full bed size--in about 10 minutes if not less

• Gordo41
                    Gordo41 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, I just bought one on eBay $9.00

• bobsakamoto
                    bobsakamoto commented
                    Editing a comment
                    cool! excited to see how it turns out...

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X