1st timer dwc questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st timer dwc questions

I finally got my first attempt at dwc going today. I'm using 5 gal buckets w/6 in net pots and germinating my seeds in rapid rooters. I left about a 2 inch air space between the net pots and top of water but it was splashing up and soaking the pots so I lowered it to about 4 inches from net pots and turned the air down a little. My rapid rooters are pretty wet tho and I'm worried about drowning my seeds. I am not set up for top feed on these buckets so it's just straight dwc. Should I try to dry the rapid rooters out some or is it okay for them to be wet like that? How much air space should be between the water and the bottom of the pots? Thanks

Expanding your horizons...very cool...just soak they plug when it dries out...if it does...have seeds sprouted yet?

Comment

• rwdyredhead
      rwdyredhead commented
      Editing a comment
      No I just started them today in the net pots. I usually use jiffy pellets in coco so these rapid rooters are different to me. Don't wanna drown those poor girls before they even get started

Hello rwdy....Nice to hear you are up a running..I would leave the rooters alone, and I have always kept the water level a couple of inches below the basket.....I made sure that I had light...t5 on the rapid rooters 24/7...I would usually water the rooters in the am and pm. small paper cup and dribble water on them..The light will usually keep the rooter somewhat moist....Keep us posted and Good Luck....Peace....

Comment

• William and Sue Ashley
      William and Sue Ashley commented
      Editing a comment
      My first grow I germed in a humidity dome. Light 24/7 T5. Once germed I pulled the top of the dome off and dropped the light down to about 3" from the girls and kept them going in there for a about 6 days. I then got the buckets ready...The first 2 in put in I coiled the 8" tap root on the clay and filled in around. The second 2 I took the 8" tap root and fed it down threw an opening in the basket right into the res water and filled in under and around. Amazing difference with the tap root put right into the res water, those plant developed much quicker and a much larger root mass....From now on I will always germ in the dome and grow that large tap root first, and transplant into the basket. Those 2 plants are probably 2 weeks ahead of the others....Hope this helps.....

Howdy rwdyredhead,
    Since you are not setup for a top feed or drip, I would let the splashing continue. the water at the bottom of the net pots should encourage the root to grow down into the reservoir. I have not used the rooter plugs only rockwool cubes and I germinate the seeds in an aluminum pan on a wet paper towel with the seeds sitting in the water (about half way). After the seeds sprout, I transfer them to the cubes. What kind of media (clay pebbles, marbles) are you using and is the rooter at the top of the pot?
    Good luck with Your new adventure.
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• rwdyredhead
      rwdyredhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks DW2. I put between 1 & 1 1/2 inches of clay pebbles under my rooters then filled it just to the top of the holes in the net pots. Do you think I should worry about my rapid rooters being soaking wet from all the splashing and drowning my seeds before they sprout? If I pinch the corner of the rapid rooter water oozes out. Also the water temp is 60 degrees, I need to get that up don't I?

• DingusKhan
      DingusKhan commented
      Editing a comment
      I like to moisten my rapid rooters by soaking them and then squeezing them out. To test the moisture, squeeze it about as hard as fruit to see if it's ripe, you should get a drop or two, but that's it. I let mine sit out of the bubbles until they've rooted like William and Sue Ashley except I don't wait as long, I put them in as soon as roots are visible.

Here's a pic

Comment

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      I do not know the minimum temperature for germination of a cannabis seed (I do know that cotton needs a ten day average of 62 degrees), so it could not harm the seeds if the temperature was up around 65 degrees. You could put more pebbles between the rooter plug (raise it up) to keep it from getting too wet. When I germinate my seeds, they are laying in water on a paper towel (saturated), covered with aluminum foil in a foil loaf pan. I keep them in a warm (75-80 degree F) location to 'do their thing'. I do not think that being soaked would be a problem, the temperature, may be. I wish that I could tell you something more certain, but like I said, I've never used the plugs before.
      Good luck, and I think that You will like the DWC growing.

I let my water touch the bottom of my net pot when germinating. Lights and circulating fan on 24/7. No "drowning" or mold has ever occurred.

Comment

• rwdyredhead
      rwdyredhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Monkey!

That bubbler will work great once it get a root system developed-that's one of the challenges I've seen in hydro. My hybrid system uses a couple of mister nozzles plumbed into the bottom of the rockwool cube. That ensures that the baby roots have nutrients and will continue to grow into the bucket and then really take off. A small airstone in each bucket made a huge difference in growth rate. Good luck with the grow.
    One other thing that works for me- I use the same net lid you have and add an inch of hydroton to the bottom, fit my misters through the sides of the basket and place a 4" cube and backfill with hydroton to cover.
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

• rwdyredhead
      rwdyredhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks gbauto

Rowdy,

I germinate in a warm, dark place, keep rooting cubes slighly moist. You are right; you don't want to drown the seeds!!
    Once they have sprouted, I move them under the lights inside my grow box, keep them moist, and wait for roots to emerge out the bottom of the cube. When roots appear, I put them the small cube in the grow medium (rock wool so far) in the net pot. I keep hand watering until I see roots emerge from the net pot, and then I fill the reservoir. You want your water to a height where it doesn't keep the bottom of the net pot soaked, because you want to encourage the roots to grow towards the reservoir, so I make it so that the bubbles splash and mist the bottom of the net pot, but the pot isn't submerged.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• rwdyredhead
      rwdyredhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks alltatup. I think I'm right on track with what you describe and they're looking good. One question tho, how often do you hand water them?

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      I strive to keep the root area moist but not soaked, because I want to get them to go in search of water... So once they're under the grow box lights, I checked them at least twice a day because of the heat generated by the lights. I didn't take notes on that part, but I knew to keep a steady eye on the root-emergence process.

I personally keep the water line an inch or two below the net pot. Otherwise I've noticed the base of some stems get mushy by the middle or end of the grow. But if plants seem healthy and growing fast, I wouldn't worry about it. For growing I try to stick by the phrase, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I know you're past this point now but as far as germinating seeds in Rapid Rooters in DWC, I've had the best luck when they are moist but not wet. If they look wet or have a "sheen" I've had worse germination rates. Other than that, just make sure seedlings stay warm and get plenty of light, but not a crazy amount!

Comment

• rwdyredhead
      rwdyredhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the advice. Got my water line level @ 2 in. and the pots just drip a little water now when I lift them instead of it pouring out. I pulled the rapid rooters out and dabbed them with paper towels to get some of the water out and put them in a warm spot in my jiffy pellet greenhouse & poured some clay pebbles in to hold them upright until they sprouted and a little root broke thru then put them back in the net pots. I ordered 4 water pumps-one for each bucket-that will be here on Tues. and I'm going to try and gently move some pebbles & add a top feed. So far so good & I'm liking this a lot.
      I see now why you use the 3.75 in. net pots. I'm using the 6 in. and I had to put a at least 2 in. of clay pebbles under my rooters so that I could get them high enough just to cover the holes in the pots, and I'm still several inches below the top of the bucket so I'm using a paper plate w/a hole to keep light out. Should have known you use those small pots for a reason lol.

Congrats Red you'll love this grow LOL

I drowned a couple seeds maybe turn the pump off for awhile then back on, the rooter holds water...... you are mother nature!
    Bubblehead
    4x4 Gorilla Tent 600 watt hps and Veg Tent T5 Fluorescence
    4 Cures and a Life time gardener
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...ze-these-leafs
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...female-56-days

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      I love the Root Riots (same as rapid rooters).

• Karlee
      Karlee commented
      Editing a comment
      Red Doc Green cuts his open not all the way but enough you can open it and look inside and help if something is happening. You'll do good with dwc and you won't work as hard I swear!

• rwdyredhead
      rwdyredhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah, I remember seeing his post showing it cut in half. I had forgotten. I may have some short term memory loss for some mysterious reason lol. I didn't understand why he did that but after using them I see why. Thanks Karlee

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X