First grow, damaged leaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First grow, damaged leaves

This is my first grow ever, first mistake was using miracle gro indoor potting soil which gave me a severely low ph of about 4~, it has been raised to ~5.5. The plant is exactly 4 weeks old, from germination to now. I assume its a little small for its age, but I attribute that to the low soil pH. There is some obvious visible damage to the bottom, older, leaves which I also attribute to the low pH. The twisting of the leaves has slowly corrected itself since raising the pH. The plant has grown tall due to the light being far away but with the ventilation it has grown a decent stem to support it. Also the top most leaf did not grow with its pair, the bigger one obviously grew normally but it's pair is stunted, it has grown small and slow and the middle leaf is not as large as it should be, but I don't know why this could be.

Other than that it's growing under 50 watts worth of LEDs, not trying to have a huge grow. Temperature is at a constant 76F and humidity at 50-60%. Ventilation is supplied through a floor fan. So what do you guys think? Any suggestions on further fixing my leaves or leave it as it is and wait?

***Sorry if this is a double post, it seems my original post isn't showing up***
    Last edited by Mooshrum; 02-14-2017, 11:20 PM.

How far away is your light? Looks like quite a stretch on that stalk but the angle of the pic is wierd. As far as the leaves don't worry new ones will grow as long as you keep a handle on the PH issue. Remember to flush if you need to. She will pull through just relax abd keep at it! Peace and positive vibes!
    Perpetual setup!

Comment

Sorry about the pic was trying to highlight the potential damage, but the plant has a hefty length to it, it has significantly slowed its stretching, though. My lights were about 16-20 inches away, but with the stretch, they are about 8-12 inches away.

My pH was at a 4, barely, but I flushed it up to a 5.5, since the miracle gro I used is mostly coir I assume that's a safe pH for now until I get my next level in a week; I do think the pH was raised a little too quickly so I want to leave the poor thing alone for a while.

I also added a bit of dolomite since the growing medium does not have any Mg or Ca and to buffer. Before the flush, the lowest leaves were crumbling apart and the second set of leaves were twisted at an almost 90-degree angle, the crumbling is still happening but I hope it stops in a couple more days. Surprisingly the plant isn't showing any signs of drooping that I read is commonly seen after a flush.

Comment

What nutes are you using? And do you have perlite added to the coir for better drainage and aeration? How old is the plant?
        Perpetual setup!

Comment

At the moment the only nutes are those that were originally in the grow medium which is NPK 0.21 - 0.11 - 0.16. But I believe a good portion of the nutrients were washed out. I added magnesium and calcium in the form of dolomite when I flushed it, waiting on my 2nd pH reading to add nutrients again. The coir does have perlite in it and the plant is 4 weeks old.

Comment

This should be more bushy at 4 weeks but seems like you are nursing it back to health! Just keep at it she will bounce back!
            Perpetual setup!

Comment

Yeah! She's slowly getting there, which is very nice. Next step is deciding when is the best time to put her in flowering mode, although she hasn't actually shown me her sex yet and I don't wanna rush it and end up with a hermie.

Comment

4 weeks is when time release fertilizer start in mirical grow soil I would flush thos plants or at least put as much water as possible when watering to help flush out the extra nutres

Comment

It's turning purple now

Comment

How dry is the soil? Might be time for a flush.
                    Perpetual setup!

Comment

I found the problem... it seems that the last time I watered the plant my medium became compacted and wasnt draining well, so I squished the sides of the pot to increase the drainage. It seems that when I did that I also broke a bunch of roots from the main stem. Much of the lower leaves died, I'm hoping it pulls through.

Comment

Ouch, it will be slow but she will recover! Positive vibes to ya!
                        Perpetual setup!

Comment

I just hope she doesn't lose to many leaves, or hermie.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                          X