Clone vs. Seed - getting to the root of it once and for all -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clone vs. Seed - getting to the root of it once and for all -

Hey everyone, There has been some debate in the past as to whether or not clones are able to develop tap roots, and as an experienced farmer having cloned a variety of other plants i knew the answer was no. Yet there was some speculation by some growers on this forum who challenged that, the same who's word the readers on here may abide by, and have unintentionally mis-informed people about the factual nature of the root system, which in my mind is a crucial factor to consider when choosing between starting off from seeds or clones. If you do a little reading up on tap roots, you may come to understand the benefits of choosing a seed as opposed to clones, and once you see the difference in a side by side experiment, you may never go back to clones again.

The picture is from my side by side experiment-

Click image for larger version

Name:	taproot.jpg
Views:	7272
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	25764
    Last edited by Lotusyde; 12-11-2016, 03:17 AM. Reason: seeds

That's really good information! That's your personal grow comparison? If so you should put a comparison of the buds. I would like to see if there is a difference. I was thinking of investing in a cloner.

Comment

• Lotusyde
      Lotusyde commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll update it with pictures in the morning, to briefly tell you for now, the seed (roots on the right) produced significantly more buds that were super dense and higher in potency and terps and yielded twice as much as the clone (roots on the left). I've known the facts about tap roots but had to complete the experiment regardless for others sake. Its valuable information to someone hopefully

• Jacuna94
      Jacuna94 commented
      Editing a comment
      It's very valuable information! Kudos for doing this experiment for us! I always love to learn more.

• Green75
      Green75 commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't waste your money on a cloner...
      Not needed...go to store and get a tray with dome...all done
      Last edited by Green75; 12-11-2016, 12:54 PM.

Looks like I missed that post, but we tend to have threads highjacked and valuable information overlooked.

I'm very surprised that this was debatable and someone would challenge it.
    Thank you for showing the comparison!
    It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

• Lotusyde
      Lotusyde commented
      Editing a comment
      You're very welcome. Knowledge is power, or in this case knowledge is powerful cannibis

Thanks Lotus, that is a valuable comparison. I stopped cloning several years ago for reasons I don't really know. It just seams easier to drop a seed in the dirt. Now I have a reason. Thanks again.

Comment

• Lotusyde
      Lotusyde commented
      Editing a comment
      Absolutely. I've seen too many clones that dont perform nearly as well as seeds. You're welcome sir.

Hijack: so if you put a clone on its side it can't find up?
    SSD

Comment

Cuttings, divisions, and stem cuttings have only an apical meristem, and thus no taproot, usually. Grafts and meristem propagation produce tap roots.
      SSD

Comment

• Lotusyde
        Lotusyde commented
        Editing a comment
        I love the science. But not everyone. I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks for dropping some knowledge

Seeds never produce the exact genetics. So I was sold on cloning... Until now. Really interesting about yields and potency.

I believe tip meristem propagation would work, but way too technical for this stage of the hobby.

I have a grow right now that is a seed mother and 3 clones, one of which is her original top, the others taken from her 2nd node. It will be interesting to test them out after harvest.

Comment

I have to agree that most of the time seeds seem to grow more vigorously than clones, especially those with hybrid vigor! Though I had this one Grand Daddy Purple clone that grew faster than any plant I've grown before or since I'd kill to get my hands on those genetics again!

I've also noticed that bigger clones seem to grow more vigorously than clones that come from really small cuttings. Does anyone else have thoughts on that?

Comment

• Lotusyde
          Lotusyde commented
          Editing a comment
          I think thanks interesting but have zero experience in purposefully trying varying clone sizes while paying attention to which ones did better. It's a possibility worth experimenting with.

The main benefit I see to cloning, even if your yield is lower, is getting them for 'free'. Take a few clones, added to the mother plant which will be about a month or so ahead, and you could increase your final yield, acting as though the clones are still part of the original plant. Having said that, do you think that taking just a few clones, will reduce the yield of the mother significantly enough that the cloning was a waste of time?

Comment

• Lotusyde
          Lotusyde commented
          Editing a comment
          I think clones and the survival rate of quality clones at that, combined with the chance of rooting issues make clones unreliable in the sense that one may never know how much longer a clone will take to root, and root well enough to have gained an advantage in terms of the supposed time saving benefits of said clones over seeds.

• Lotusyde
          Lotusyde commented
          Editing a comment
          As far as your first point and getting them for free, one would simply have to start breeding ones own seeds. And then you can improve by cross breeding and have more than enough seeds also for "free"

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X