Induction Set Up for Decarbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Induction Set Up for Decarbo

I was having chronic problems decarboxilizing flower. Big oven, little oven, toaster oven, etc. Just wasn't getting the expected effects.
    No matter what thermometers or set up, it just wasn't working up to expectations.
    Some of my other activities are lab like. So I started using an induction set up I'd put together for another purpose. All my disappointments went away.
    Induction hot plate and pot from Amazon. $40 each. The lab version is $800.
    I drilled the top of the pot to accommodate a digital thermometer, put 3" of peanut oil in the pot (thermometer reaches into the oil), float a little aluminum bread pan inside. When the temp is right (set to 270, oil at about 250 F) I put alum wrapped, ground flower in for 110 minutes. Temp and time is based on some pharma tests in Holland. For degrees and time they concluded "110 for 110". That's 110 C for 110 minutes.
    Very low power consumption and doesn't heat the room up much at all.
    I usually cook 4 grams then soak in 4 oz's of EverClear, filter. Depending on tolerance, 10 ml to 30 ml (an oz) will definitely change your attitude and take body aches away.
    Added to a good vodka/soda, it makes it taste like cheap gin. Until you don't notice. Which takes 15 minutes or so.
    Happy cooking!

Excellent set up! And as im sure you have discovered, if you decarb before you soak, you destroy a lot of the chlorophyll that has a nasty taste. Mine are often a goldish color, rather than what alot of folks call green dragon.
    Organic only soil grower
    Current: Medgom Auto (CBD Crew and (Grassomatic)
    Set up: 300w Galaxy hydro LED, DIY insulated growbox, dual thermostatic exhaust fans, dual circulation fans, thermostatic 300w heat, remote temp/humidity monitor.

Comment

Yes. Amber. Should we call it Golden Tiger?
      The sativa dominant Yvonna 7 is very light. The Lavender, more indica, is darker. Consistent with the color of the toasted flower.
      The darker seems more narcotic or sleep inducing.

I think I was using too low temp before. Checking different locations with the digital thermometer, there is significant temp drop over very short distances.
      Oil to metal to air or just metal to air. Whatever is hot to whatever is between that and the flower loses temperature. 250 F oil seems to deliver 230F inside the
      little aluim packet of ground flower.

Comment

Jason You are right on. 220-230 is what I have always used, for about an hour and a half. Seems to work nicely without driving off all the volatile terpines. If you make "budder" you can also reduce green nasties by clarifying the butter first. Without the h2o the budder end up with far less chlorophyll. Happy medibles to you! And Golden Tiger is an excellent name. You coined it.
        Organic only soil grower
        Current: Medgom Auto (CBD Crew and (Grassomatic)
        Set up: 300w Galaxy hydro LED, DIY insulated growbox, dual thermostatic exhaust fans, dual circulation fans, thermostatic 300w heat, remote temp/humidity monitor.

Comment

OK, Golden Tiger it is. : )
          After the baking the flower, a 2-4 hour wash in EverClear, strain and consume carefully. I start with 10 ml in a vodka/soda for a first test.
          I've also put the flower back in the EverClear and let is soak overnight. That will give a darker, greenish color. Heavier effects, but not necessarily more pleasant. Good for bed time.
          At the moment I'm liking the sativa dominant more than indica. The latter is heavier, more narcotic.

I think I was mostly under cooking in my previous attempts. Going a bit high on the induction setting, 270 F, then measuring the oil (250 F) and allowing for some temp reduction into the pan and alum. wrap seems to work. If I set everything at 220 F or 230 F, I doubt the results would be as strong.

Comment

Tried something different yesterday that worked very well. Measured out 20 ml's of the Golden Tiger. Let it evaporate down to goo in a silicone BHO bowl/platter.. Put the goo into a capsule for ease of consumption.
            Very nice effect in 45 to 60 min. No slightly nasty drink. The vodka/soda washed the capsule down rather nicely.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X