Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this enough darkness during the night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this enough darkness during the night?

Hey experts,

I read on GWE that even street lights can screw up proper flowering of the plants. Since we have quite a lot of them exactly in the height of our place I am a bit worried if this is too much light during the night and if it may influence their flowering.

If yes, should I cover the plants somehow for the night or are there any other solutions?

To give you a better idea of the night light, it's dark but I can navigate through our place without problems.

I have 3 girls, sativa, indica and hybrid, grown in organic supersoil, planted 1st April and mainlined (hoping to be extra funny because of that )

The two pics showing one night in full moon and one night in new moon

Thanks

I think the rule of thumb is put to your palm on the end of your nose. If you can see your hand, its not dark enough.
    But then that's an indoor growers thing. Obviously, out side plants don't get that level of darkness.
    Personally, I tape over the little "on" lights of all my support stuff like fans, circuit breakers, etc.
    Good luck.

Comment

Howdy Bud Lightyear, It looks like too much light for me. My grow room was darker than that and I still had nanners popping out. I installed 'black out' curtains (about $9 a pair at wallyworld) over the existing curtains on the windows and added a drape at the entry door to block out the 'flash' of light when entering or leaving the room. These measures have helped out so far. I also use a green light when I have to do anything in the area after the lights go off.
      Good luck with Your grow.
      Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

thanks Jason and DW2 ...yeah I was also thinking about the black out curtains I will probably give that a go ...may it be a factor that the plants have been exposed to this light since seedlings so they may be used to it? also the seeds were feminized but I guess that doesn't guarantee they won't go hermie when shocked like that?

Comment

• DW2
          DW2 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have often wondered about the effects of the varying amounts of light that occur in natural grows like full and new moons, lighting, and even the difference between a starry night as opposed to a cloudy night (as well as the same differences with the moon). Do any of the 'out door' growers have any information as to if these variations in the 'natural' dark cycle affect, if at all, the possibility of causing light stress 'hermies'?
          Or, maybe, the production of the seed (through the 'hermie-ing') is the plants reaction to the stress induced by NOT being pollinated by the normal means. After all, the goal of all living things is reproduction, the species must go on. (just ask any teenager! LOL).
          I certainly do not have the answers, but I am going to quit worrying myself about the hermied seeds, I have found (and will soon post the results after I get them organized) that the hermied seeds (produced by ;nanners') are female.
          Good luck with Your growing.

• Aloner
          Aloner commented
          Editing a comment
          My understanding is that seeds from hermies are more likely to also hermie.

I think strains have alot to do with hermies. And DW2 I have heard that all my life about the seeds being female, can't wait for you to find out for us. Good Luck
        Cfls for a week or two
        315lec for everything else
        Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
        36x36x63 inch tent.
        6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
        Smart pots
        Molasses
        Autoflowers

Comment

• DW2
          DW2 commented
          Editing a comment
          I will let You (and all of the rest) know the results from the hermie seed test, It is almost completed and I am in the process of tabulating the information to present it. I do not think that anyone could make out my 'chicken scratch' notes (heck, I can barely make any sense out of them ! LOL!!) so I need to get them organized and cleaned up before I post them. I'll 'tag' You when I do get it posted.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X