High Bored wanna discuss DWC and anything related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Bored wanna discuss DWC and anything related

Ok im trying to get a better concept of DWC and also trying to utilize the tent im working with.Now do i need to have a reservoir that is 14 inchs tall or can i work with something aroud 4 to 5 inces and make up for space elsewhere in horizontal space so i can utilize my 5 ft tent. Other than that i would like to know if anyone know the tottal number of cubic inchs roots need to grow or does haveing the extra 3 gallons floating around somehow help what im thinking is growing my veg growth to about 2weeks in some custum made 2 liter bottles which should give the roots gret time to grow out or the net pot then transfer them into a smaller reservoir than i have right now i have the 10 gallon sterilite tub right now i dont understand how people use a 5 gallon bucket with out the air bubbles from the air stones damageing the roots i know when my roots float over my air stones ill see tiny peices of roots i have to fish out of my water so i moved them away now they seem good but i want smaller reserviors to grow more plants in my 3' by 4' and 5' tall tent thinking about setting up a misting system so the roots get water and oxygen but i need to how mow many cubic inchs roots need to grow befor i can set up a box for that and damn im really high i have no idea how long this thing is iv just been typeing away lol but any ideas or anyparts that dont make sence because im high and may have left some things out let me know or just post your weird ideas and let me know what they are because im a 23 yr old stay at home daddy who is extreamly bored of stareing at walls allday and i would love to ponder and reserch everyone ones weird ideas so throw some at me lmao and one pic of the gorgeous blue wizard who has had a rough start
    DWC/hydroton clay pellets600w digital/dimmable ballast,
    250w MH veg,400w HPS flowering,floratrio nute schedule ,48*32*60 grow tent,
    current grow: feminized blue wizard
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...c-grow-journal

Shit Graff, I started reading that and I KNEW you was high!!! No punctuation full speed ahead at 80 mph. I can't answer all of it, but I will say that you want to give your roots a lot of space for abundant growth. And my airstones are directly under the huge root mass on my sativa girl: I've never had a problem with the air stones breaking roots.

I don't know about the cubic inches; take a look on GWE about setting up the kind of hydro setup you want and see what Nebula says. Do some systematic research on what you need in terms of root space. Use that wonderful 23 year old brain of yours!!!

And use some damn punctuation!!!! It gets REEEEEEALLY hard to read what you're saying without it. ;-}
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• Graff420
      Graff420 commented
      Editing a comment
      Lmao i know i was really lit last night i rememb remember some of this but now much. Also idk i seen on gwe a part that said you can use mist to water the plants but i couldnt find anything else one it

Howdy Graff420, I have found, over the last six DWC grows (and my only grows!) that the root ball can get up to a gallon or so of displacement fro a mature plant (40'-50' tall). I have the inside of my 10 gallon totes marked off with graduation marks at each half gallon. I would recommend allowing for at least a gallon and a half for each plant on Your reservoir, if height is going to be a problem, then use LST to keep the plants low. The roots must be given enough space, after all, that is where the 'magic' begins!
    Good luck with Your growing.
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• Graff420
      Graff420 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea im trying to keep my plants at max 36" inless i can get a shorter reservior to utilize more of my height but im trying to get a reservior that is shorter but the plant will still spread the roots out right i mean it doesnt need to be 13" deep does it?

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      You might want to look into an Ebb and Flow type of hydroponic system. I would worry about the roots being totally immersed or covered with the water, the plants seem to 'like' an air gap or space in the reservoir. An Ebb and flow system (from what I have read, no actual experience) periodically floods and then drains the roots, allowing proper aeration of the roots. I would assume that a system like that would require pumps, timers (or programmable controllers), and a remote reservoir with all of the necessary plumbing.
      If You make a large flat reservoir, fill it regularly (every day as opposed to 3-4 days with a larger reservoir) and keep it well aerated. In the space that You have (36 x 48 inches) if one allows for 6 inches clearance all around, then to get ten gallon capacity, the reservoir would have to be taller than 2 5/8 inches (1 gallon = 231 cubic inches).
      Good luck with your grow.

Here's my opinion,
    im using 10 gallon tote. I have three plants now had four.. when at four there was very little space left in the resavoir
    so if you plan on growing similarly I'd say stick with the totes.. extra space allows for better flow of water and air.. as well as nutes

Comment

I like the 10 gallon tote i just want to spread the extra space from the height and put it into the width and lenght so my plants base is closer to the floor

Comment

• Graff420
        Graff420 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thinking of buying a shorter but still 10 gallon tote and sprayung some rhino liner all around the outside so i can let the plants grow a little bit taller right now shes only 8 inchs tall more horizontal growth than upward growth form my LST but if the roots can no longer go further down the will just spread out horzontally too right? Like if i switch to a 6 inch high 10 gallon tote should be the same as my tote now correct?

• GanjaGed
        GanjaGed commented
        Editing a comment
        Same issue I ran into with setting up my F&D. Fortunately getting a lower res isn't hard to solve for that.

Sterilite makes a 41 qt tub that's about 5" tall, using them for F&D trays. Even if you went with 2" net pots keeping that air space is going to be hard, if you keep an air space.

Depending on how DIY you are, you could possibly take 2 of them stacking them, tops together in the middle, couple of holes in the lips and a fastener to keep them securely. Fill the bottom one with solution, drill net pot holes in the bottom of the top one, black them out (clear), and you have about a 10" set up that'll hold probably 7 gals and has enough room for air space.

Though there almost has to be a similar sized 1 piece tub available somewhere I would think.

But then again listening to me will probably kill your plants, so I wouldn't do it rofl

• GanjaGed
        GanjaGed commented
        Editing a comment
        In my opinion yes. I can't think of a reason they wouldn't.

There's a shorter one at Walmart I'm not sure how wide it is though.. I like the idea myself I'm just not ready to test that just yet

Comment

Idk how many cubic inches these were but they displaced between 2 1/2 and 3 gallons of nutrient solution. I'm not sure why your air stones are making your roots come apart. That is usually the first thing my roots wrap around is the nearest air stone and then completely engulf it. Those are the bird nest looking things.

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Now THOSE are roots!!!!!! Mine wrap right around the air stones, too.

• Burny
          Burny commented
          Editing a comment
          You would think that the air bubbles would kinda push the roots away but it doesn't stop them.

I just had to clean the roots of some black algae or maybe root rot no smell at all and showed up to cover all the roots in about 12 hours i just did res change yesterday around 9 pm and this morning bam roots were black from the bottm all the way to the net pot no idea why only then changed is i added the sm90 with the reschange instead of the hydroguard had to clip tons of dead roots but she still seems fine for now atleast

Comment

• Graff420
          Graff420 commented
          Editing a comment
          No idea im trying to figgur out what is was and just hopeing the roots that are left are still ok enough to uptake water. If you just shake the roots around in the water does root rot come off? If not im thinking it may besome sort of algae and the worst part is the plant showed no signs at all if anything if anything she seemed way more vibrant than shes ever been so im just completely confused and trying to make sure that stuff wont come back

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Graff, If you leave it, she won't be so vibrant! Not sure what you need to do; what is the res. temp? You might want to run H2O2 just to try and kill everything that's in the system. GSE--grapefruit seed extract (can't rmeember if we've talked about this before or not) will kill any and all algae.

• Graff420
          Graff420 commented
          Editing a comment
          Deffinatly didnt leave if i cleaned and changed res and it stays between 69° and 72° always because thats the ambeient room temp most of the times and i got my air pump outside the tent pushing air from my window AC directly to the air pum and in the res here are what my roots look like now reall sad and hopeing she comes back or here is a lost 7 weeks

Deffinately lost a lot of roots in a 12 hour timeframe
        Attached Files

Comment

I just got the ice probe chiller imma just keep the res with 6 gallons and turn the window ac off to save power hopefully itll reall keep it cooler imma insulate it also

Comment

Do you use a top feed pump? If so what's its flow rate?
            Grow and good luck
            Current grow:

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...lly-grown-meds

past grows:

http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...2-grow-one-off

http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...hello-everyone

Comment

I'm getting ready for spring. I found a spot a few feet away from a stream. There were nothing but ferns. I cleaned up the ferns, brought in 10/10/10, and lime. Dark but somewhat Sandy soil. I plan on buying a seed for clones. I live by the Canadian and Vermont borderline. Any suggestions on strains and or anything else you think I should do? I'm trying to keep it simple.

Comment

• alltatup
                alltatup commented
                Editing a comment
                Welcome to the forum, Thomas!! What kind of weed do you like?

• Daskahn
                Daskahn commented
                Editing a comment
                What's your goals? You wanna be high or you trying to grow medicine? I would search for what suites your needs as for prep I'm not a gorilla farmer so no real idea

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X