Gender? More light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gender? More light?

Hello first time grower here and ive got a couple questions.

First off, im having difficulty determining the gender of my plants and ive read the articles on here. I have pics on the imgur link that should hopefully be enough. The plants are about 8 weeks old but they had a stressful life at the start, getting into their current setup a few weeks ago. I havent been able to find female or male parts, i have a picture of what they look like and ive checked the rest of the plants in case there are only 1 or 2 on part of a plant. My current guess if that they are just taking awhile longer because they werent in good conditions the first couple weeks of their life?

Secondly, i need to get more light for them as i ended up having more plants than i thought i would. I currently have a 150W CFL and a small 36W LED as in the pics. Once i know which are female and get rid of the males i plan to clone the females to get back up to 6 plants in total. So for 6 plants and the lights i have i was thinking of getting a 300-450W LED. Am i on the right track?

thoughts on the whole setup?
    I cant afford to buy everything at once so ive been staggering the purchases. Fans are the next big priority after lights

thanks for the help
    Tani

Unless you have a second separate setup then your not ready for clones.. unless you plan on leaving your current plants in veg stage till the clones catch up.. hard to veg a plant and fruit a plant on the same light (even though theoretically it's possible) they just wouldn't be same size and all also look up lumens vs watts.. lumens are far more important then the wattage they use

Comment

• Tani
      Tani commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah yeah i see what you mean, i should wait until harvest to clone then. I should be fine to take the clones from the plant at harvest. Thanks D

Forgot to add that my grow tent is 3'x3'x6'

Comment

You don't want to clone a flowering plant. It can be done but it takes a long time for the plant to re-veg and then start growing again. Optimally, you want to clone a veging plant and have two separate grow areas - one for veg and one for flower. Veging plants do well under CFL and they are very inexpensive. I veg my plants in a bathtub with CFLs and use a closet with LEDs for my flowering plants.
      I like big buds and I can not lie.

Somango XXL (3 gal)
      Blue Mystic (7 gal)
      VIPARSPECTRA 450W LED Grow Light
      Coco Coir w/30% perlite
      Fox Farms Nutrients plus Cal-Mag Plus

Comment

• Tani
        Tani commented
        Editing a comment
        At this point i dont even know if i will clone. Seeds arent too hard to get. Thats a problem for another day, i really need to figure out their gender and sort my lights first

• Tani
        Tani commented
        Editing a comment
        And thanks btw, cloning doesnt seem as simple as i thought

Bump. I gotta buy a new light soon, any help?

Comment

Craigslist? I got lucky twice got two different lights and ballers for ruffly 50$ each one is an adjustable 400-600 super the other is a 600 so I think I did pretty good I'd shoot for atleast a 400w mh for veg or a 400w hps for flower

Comment

Hi Tani, and welcome to the forum!! I found a male in my current grow, which I was on the lookout for all along, cuz they are regular seeds. I kept my eyes on the plants after switching to flower, which is when I caught the pollen sacs on this guy. I was using a magnifying glass and this great app on my iphone called SuperVision +
          Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
          2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
          Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Welcome Tani it is very hard to tell the sex of a plant in veg . that being said alot of growers will top a plant and clone it then put the clone in bloom it will show the sex in a couple of weeks then you can leave it in bloom or toss it but you will have your answer. In your pictures I think you could top them at the fourth node they will bounce right back . good luck
            new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
            current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

I agree sometime you need to wait for flower to determine sex. It looks like you could use more light for sure. Maybe, look into a pair of ViparSpectra 300 LEDs. Or, like Dashkan said, 400 MH / HPS would work in a 3X3 if you have good temperature control.
              4X4 Gorilla with Solar Storm 440 LED. Coco / perlite, 5 Gallon fabric containers. LST and scrog. Grows to date all Indica Dominant Hybrids

2018 Grow Journal Here -->> (Blackjack, Super Skunk, Critical CBD)

2017 Grow Journal Here -->> (AK 48, Wonder Woman, Master Kush)

Comment

Thanks so much for the info guys! I think ive got it all sorted now

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X