Swamp cooling doubleing as a reservoir chiller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swamp cooling doubleing as a reservoir chiller

Ok my thought is if a swamp cooler cools the air by breaking down water and passing air through then the water should inturn be as cold as the air i would like anyidea or information on if anyone has every tryied this ov made a swamp cooler imma see how cold it makes the water and then im going to use it as my reservoir chiller ok what i mean by this is to put an 80ft stainless steel wort chiller into the swamp cooler so the nute water and swamp cooler water will never exchange so i dont need to worry about the mold fungi and algae growing in my res water
    Last edited by Graff420; 07-28-2017, 03:09 PM.
    DWC/hydroton clay pellets600w digital/dimmable ballast,
    250w MH veg,400w HPS flowering,floratrio nute schedule ,48*32*60 grow tent,
    current grow: feminized blue wizard
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...c-grow-journal

Hi Graff420 never used a swamp cooler but are you going to run coils into the reservoir or are you thinking of pumping the reservoir water with nutes though ?
    I would think if you did that then your nutes would be all over the place because of heavy evaporation . If you pump resivoir water through the core it might work but I think a few guys/gals/women have tried it all here . There is a thread that is using a peltier Colling unit which is working good but haven't checked in a week . Good luck do a search in forums on cooling and you will get more ideas . Sorry I can't be more help .
    Currently use 2 gal bubbleponics tank
    Using 150 Watt HPS
    Trying 300 watt LED
    General Hydro Nutes ,reg and organic
    Small 23" x 21" area

Comment

• Graff420
      Graff420 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks and yea iv been thinking on it more and more what im thinking tho is as long as the water reaches 68 im pretty sure i can get a wort chiller with the right water pump to pump my res water through slowly ebough to chill but fast enough to acutally cool the res the it should be plauseable with the right set up i want to find a way to do it without adding anymore amps or watts being pulled i already have the pumps running so i figgur i can readjust and get my res temps down without pulling extra electricty do you get what i mean or am i way to stoned to make sence?

$50 Peltier water cooling
    By sammy

Search for this thread might help I would put the link in for you but don't know how .
    Using 150 Watt HPS
    Trying 300 watt LED
    Small 23" x 21" area

Comment

If you like to tinker anything is worth a try, lol

1) The swamp cooler media is going to leech your nutes and probably mess with PH, though you can likely get a neutral filter.

2) Air is gonna pass through the water dragging everything in the air into your solution, who knows what nasties you might get, plus it's probably gonna mess with the PH

3) The area your actually cooling is going to be sprayed with nutrient solution, you'll have to watch for molds and such in the area since it's warm, you're upping the humidity and feeding the spores

4) I'm not sure how breathing nute vapor is but I can't imagine it's healthy

5) you'll have to watch your water levels because you're throwing the water into the air, that means more nutes, more water, more PH problems.

Hopefully I'm missing something but personally it just doesn't seem like it will work, or be so much hassle, extra work, money, etc, that it just isn't worth it. And if you're married about the time the spouse sees salt stains all over the furniture, walls and drapes is about the time you and the plants end up outside, lol.

I'd love to see it done and made to work though!
      The Great and Secret Garden Indoor-Hydro-LED-Perpetual

The Ganja Ged Thread
      Water Curing Experiment
      My E&F System

If you get confused, listen to the music play!

Comment

• GanjaGed
        GanjaGed commented
        Editing a comment
        Something that might work though:

run copper tubing from the res, put an in-line pump outside of the res, drill a hole in the side of the swamp cooler vent run the copper tubing into the vent and make a coil right in the vent flue and then out another hole on the opposite side of the vent and dump back into the res.

It'd be pretty cheap and quick to make, the largest expense would be the pump. Other than that it's a length of soft copper, a couple of fittings and done. If it doesn't work it can be removed easily and quickly. It would eliminate most of the potential issues though, if it worked.

• Graff420
        Graff420 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup thats my idea probably should have explained more im going to use 50 to 80 ft of 1/4 in stainless steel tubeing coil it up inside the 5gallon bucket swamp cooler iv made which is puching air at 69 with the res water temp holding a couple degrees cooler just tested the water temp and its 66°water puching air at 70° i think a better fan will cool more bust if i can get about 80 ft of stainless steel tubeing i can pretty much steal the cool from my swamp cooler by coiling all 80 ft inside the bucket running vinal tubeing to connect the coiled tubeing to my res and once i find the sweet spot on the water pump i should be able to move enough water to hold my res temps at 67 to 68 that and if i up the size and use something bigger than a 5 gallon swamp cooler i should beable to cool a bigger res if need be but i gotta save up to buy tubeing and im a 23 yr old stay at home daddy so all i got is tinkering right now lmao only issuse is im color blind so not really good with nute toxicity or deficiantcy so i cant really play with ph or nutes in the air because if it harms my girl i wont be able to see her leaves turning color lmao

• GanjaGed
        GanjaGed commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd check the water temp in the cooler first. I'm not familiar with bucket swampers, but in principle dragging the air through the water transfers heat to the water from the air. So while the outgoing air is cool, the water is warmer.

Just something to check before investing, if you haven't already, it may also affect, warm, the cold air coming out, because the swamper will be using warmer water to try and cool with. Though it may be so small a difference to not matter in either case, but thats why I suggested putting the coil in the actual out vent.

I may have just figured out a way to cool my nutes.

copper coils inside a round beverage cooler filled with ice and water. Using the pump already inside my res run a drip line to and from the cooler and connect the ends to the copper coil.

I have 5 reservoirs so 5 coils and just place the cooler relatively close to the tanks.
      Current Grow: seeds in July 3rd, 2017

7'x6'x8' custom built room w/ exhaust and carbon filter
      3 (1 not in use yet) 600w IPower dimmable MH/HPS

Top Fed DWC Bubbleponics
      GH Trio, Hydroguard, and GH Ph kit.
      Strains: all Seedsman, all Feminized, all Fast.
      2 Cinderella 99 x Blueberry
      1 Power Africa x MK Ultra
      2 Big Nugs
      Training: Nebula's modified manifold technique w/ LST as needed.

Comment

• GanjaGed
        GanjaGed commented
        Editing a comment
        good catch, I hadn't even thought about that!

• IanHale
        IanHale commented
        Editing a comment
        I was looking at copper due to ease of manipulating and the ability to make the coils myself.

Stainless is a good option due to thermal conductivity and corrosion resistance.

Trying to keep 5 reservoirs cool is my next big challenge to overcome

• GanjaGed
        GanjaGed commented
        Editing a comment
        One more reason why I'm switching from DWC to FnD, lol. Unless the water gets crazy hot no need to chill. Though I never had to chill my res. It stays right at or just below the air temp in the tent. But then again I didn't run a top feed in mine so no pump heat, I just filled the res a bit higher so the airstones kept the rapid rooters moist, then dropped the water level once the roots hit the water.

I think if I was running multiple buckets and had water temp issues I'd look into hooking them all up to one main res. More water volume makes for more stability. Of course then you could run into the issue of spreading root rot etc, to all plants rather than keeping it isolated in one.

What about putting in a small venturi (a liitle ways off the pump put in a smaller orifac or small slip fit ) that takes a large amount of liquid speeds up the water pressure and spray on the top of resivoir . Works using the Vernulli effect if I remember my a/c work where you take a low pressure or volume liquid and speed it up to basically a high pressure stream or even mist that causes cooling . But an a/c unit turns low pressure liquid to a high pressure gas to cool through a evaporation coil . just a though but a small peltier unit will work on 12 volts and about 3 amps
      Using 150 Watt HPS
      Trying 300 watt LED
      Small 23" x 21" area

Comment

Or put in a few misting heads in the reservoir spraying your roots maybe that would cause a few degree drop but would contain the nutes spray a little but would still have evaporation
        Using 150 Watt HPS
        Trying 300 watt LED
        Small 23" x 21" area

Comment

• Graff420
          Graff420 commented
          Editing a comment
          Their are people who have used only mist to grow hydroponics befor but idk if it would work with cannibis id have to look more into this

Howdy Graff420, I would not use a 'swamp cooler' or blow any air directly on the nutrient water to chill it by evaporation because;
        1. The evaporation would tend to concentrate the nutrient levels.
        2. The air from the evaporative cooler would already be saturated with water and would not reduce the reservoir temperature by very much at all.
        3. And the most important reason not to try to cool the reservoir with a swamp cooler or even, dry air, is because the reservoir will be exposed to all of the mold, fungi spores, and bacteria floating around in the air. Not to mention the probability of light leaks into the reservoir, and the fact that the pads on an evaporative cooler are notorious breading grounds for the afore mentioned maladies.

I use ice bottles (.7 liter, smooth sided) in my 6 gallon reservoirs. The bottles keep the temperatures down below 70° F and last from 3 to 4 hours (with the lights on) and over night (with the grow lights off), especially when the plants are mature and shade the reservoirs.
        Good luck with Your grow.
        Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• Graff420
          Graff420 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey i mean to use an 80 ft wort chiller so the nute water and swamp cooler water dont exchange anything thingand bacteria and anything growing in the swamp cooler stays their that and i have nothing but time to figgur out an answer to my problem the only downfall is i just put my swamp cooler up yester day and done got high kicked it over and flooded my tent smh lol but its all good my girl is doing ok

This may be more economical.
        CL-85 Fresh or Saltwater Aquarium Chiller/Heater 115 Volt - Recommended for systems up to 12 gallons water capacity https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071RQ4PWJ..._nS3EzbJ4HJ23Z
        First grow Bagseed and Acid Dough:
        http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...ough-by-ripper

First grow Acid Dough:
        https://growdiaries.com/diaries/2642-first-dwc-grow

Second grow Monster Cropped Acid Dough:
        https://growdiaries.com/diaries/2920...clone-revegged

1000w HPS. (4) 136w LEDs. 48x96x80" flower tent. (1) 136w LED. (6) 13w cfls. 2x2x4' clone tent. DWC. House and Garden nutes: Aqua Flakes + supplements per HG DWC feeding schedule. Hydroguard.

Comment

• MedMan
          MedMan commented
          Editing a comment
          I love amazon . I don't know if I've ever been surprised what they have . I've never looked for a chiller there and used to have 3 aquariums . But I've found the same medical supplies at 1/3 the price of supply shops . I like that little chiller the last one I bought was for a 75 gal aquarium and was 600 bucks .

• IanHale
          IanHale commented
          Editing a comment
          If I was only doing one tank I could float that...but I'd need 5. Ugh.

• Tazard
          Tazard commented
          Editing a comment
          I am a do-it-your selfer but that is hard to beat. I don't cool my res, I just remembered seeing it as "recommended " on amazon (kinda makes one a bit nervous 😩) lol.

over time the salts in the nutes will eat through the copper. look at the statue of liberty, it wasn't green when we got her from the french. water softeners do the same thing with copper lines. takes a long time but does happen

Comment

• IanHale
          IanHale commented
          Editing a comment
          Tazard last summer at Imagine Music festival in Atlanta. Clean clean clean trip amazing atmosphere

• Tazard
          Tazard commented
          Editing a comment
          Sweet. I'm afraid at 50 that cid or "x" either one may not be a good idea lol.

• IanHale
          IanHale commented
          Editing a comment
          I was 44 last summer, gave my then 24 yo fiancé her first hit, I did the other 9 and an MDA cap.

Effing amazing...totally diff experience than from my 20's

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X