Purple leaves during first leaves.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purple leaves during first leaves.

I have had my plant for almost two months now and it is growing very slowly i add fish fertilizer once ever two weeks only a couple drops per cup. the leaves are sort of purple and the stem is partly red. but its sturdy when i bumped the base stem or "trunk" it felt very rigid and sturdy. please idk what im doing wrong here. oh its and led daylight bulb on a 18 6 light cycle and only water when soil is dry and inch deep.

Hi Yourhero. It looks like your lighting may be a big part of the problem along with the soil you are growing in. An LED light bulb puts out only about half of what a CFL bulb puts out in lumens (light output) depending on wattage. Not sure what size LED you are running but a 5W puts out only about 450 lumens where as a 13W CFL puts out 900. You should switch your light to a 26W CFL if you want the best results. As for the soil, I would maybe add a mixture of perlite to it, perhaps 30-50% to allow for better drainage. Then, just give it water until it comes back strong and then you can start adding fertilizer again. Just my take on it. Best of luck.
    Whoever's growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations! You have won a cruise! Report to security to claim your tickets.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ellz GrowCam Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...pnwuazYQD6URA/
    Ellz GrowCam Time Lapse Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1nS2a9LvXEdmya

1st Hydro Grow: 600W MH/HPS Homemade Bubbleponics Homemade Cabinet - White Poison (White Widow x Durban Poison) COMPLETE! Final yield: 10.2 ounces off 2 plants. 124 days total from seed (34 days vegetative + 90 days flower)

2nd hydro - Peyote Cookies and OG Kush https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-mh-strain-tbd COMPLETE! Final yield: 11.8 ounces combined, 2.7 ounces of Peyote Cookies (150 days from seed), 9.1 ounces of OG Kush (138 days from seed).

Comment

• Yourhero
      Yourhero commented
      Editing a comment
      26 watt daylight lamp only putts out 700 lumens..?

• Yourhero
      Yourhero commented
      Editing a comment
      also what do you think is causing the purple leaves?

• ellz
      ellz commented
      Editing a comment
      A 26W CFL will put out about 1800 lumens on average depending on the bulb.

That plant is two months old?! Looks more like two weeks! Listen to ellz for sure.
    My first grow

Comment

• Yourhero
      Yourhero commented
      Editing a comment
      heading to home depot here pretty soon to do just that. yeah its been 2 full months i dont even really know what to expect because its bag seeds

The purple leaves could be from low temperatures. What are the lowest temps in your grow area?
    Whoever's growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations! You have won a cruise! Report to security to claim your tickets.
    Ellz GrowCam Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...pnwuazYQD6URA/
    Ellz GrowCam Time Lapse Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1nS2a9LvXEdmya

1st Hydro Grow: 600W MH/HPS Homemade Bubbleponics Homemade Cabinet - White Poison (White Widow x Durban Poison) COMPLETE! Final yield: 10.2 ounces off 2 plants. 124 days total from seed (34 days vegetative + 90 days flower)

2nd hydro - Peyote Cookies and OG Kush https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-mh-strain-tbd COMPLETE! Final yield: 11.8 ounces combined, 2.7 ounces of Peyote Cookies (150 days from seed), 9.1 ounces of OG Kush (138 days from seed).

Comment

• Yourhero
      Yourhero commented
      Editing a comment
      76 degrees

• ellz
      ellz commented
      Editing a comment
      That shouldn't really cause it. If it were in the mid to low 60s it could be that but mid 70s shouldn't. The more I look at the photo the more it looks like there could be a nutrient imbalance or a nutrient lock-out. Here is a post on a different website where someone was having similar issues: https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/...ian-cfl.20644/

• ellz
      ellz commented
      Editing a comment
      Basically, you could be giving too much of one nutrient or not getting enough of another. The easiest way to fix this would be to use only pH'ed water until the plant gets reestablished.

Comment

• Aloner
      Aloner commented
      Editing a comment
      New growth looks good!

• ellz
      ellz commented
      Editing a comment
      It's looking a lot healthier to me. Much more green on the new leaves than before. Plus it looks like the leaves straightened out. You just saved your baby!

a few days later still no fertilizer plan to on my next watering in about 2-3 days

Comment

• ellz
      ellz commented
      Editing a comment
      That's correct. Gently moving the stalk around throughout the day will fatten up the stalk as well. Probably not as effective as a fan but it does work nonetheless. Great idea!

• Yourhero
      Yourhero commented
      Editing a comment
      id use a fan i just dont have the space for a fan i need to get a power strip to put in my grow room.

• ellz
      ellz commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, definitely want one of those (surge strip) for sure. A small fan would be a good investment. Even if you could get a small battery powered one and only turn it on an hour at a time throughout the day, it would help.

taken today i kind of coiled and buried the stalk today to make it smaller if that is going to hurt it let me know and ill put it back but i was gentle with the stem to coil it then i buried it and, as can be seen in the pic, am supporting it on one side. I should only have to be supporting it for a few days but it was way too tall

Comment

• Yourhero
      Yourhero commented
      Editing a comment
      also i plan on fiming it within the next few days

• ellz
      ellz commented
      Editing a comment
      I would let it get some more growth on it before doing any cutting just to make sure it is okay. It looks like you have new growth sites under the main leaves so that is great news! Keep up the good work!

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Yourhero I totally agree with ellz!!! Way too early to do anything to her but let her grow and get way stronger with more leaf nodes!!!

weekly update a lot of new growth on these newer leaves one grew in with four the other grew in with 5 but some good nodes under my three finger leaves

Comment

• ellz
      ellz commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking better. I think may you need more light if you want it to grow bigger. Cannabis needs quite a bit of light to grow properly. Maybe double or quadruple what you are using might help it go quicker.

im using a 150 w bulb 2710 lumens

Comment

• ellz
      ellz commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah they make them in 2 and 4 way splitters just make sure not to exceed the max wattage.

• Yourhero
      Yourhero commented
      Editing a comment
      exceed the wattage where? and how would i check that

• ellz
      ellz commented
      Editing a comment
      If the splitter is only rated for a maximum amount of watts it will state it somewhere on the splitter itself. The CFL bulbs draw a low amount of wattage so you probably don't have to worry about it.

sorry for the late update but i have successfully topped my plant and am seeing a lot of new growth i havent gotten the splitter yet so still running the two bulbs in two fixtures. little side bar the smell is just heavenly i cant wait till its flowering and really putting off its aroma

Comment

• ellz
      ellz commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice crossed stipules in that pic!

• Yourhero
      Yourhero commented
      Editing a comment
      its coming along very nicely i got the splitters and bulbs today so i have four 150 w bulbs on them now and growth is crazy i will take a pic of set up and plant in the morning but im very happy with how its coming along thanks to some good advice lol

• ellz
      ellz commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome! Glad to hear it!

i think i watered too soon this time but otherwise.

Comment

• ellz
      ellz commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, looks a bit over watered but that should clear up. Other than that, lots of new growth I see, which is good. My only question is this...what kind of bulbs are those? They aren't standard incandescent bulbs are they?

• Yourhero
      Yourhero commented
      Editing a comment
      150 w imcandescent

• ellz
      ellz commented
      Editing a comment
      Incandescent bulbs are the WORST thing you can grow with! You should change those to CFL's if you can! http://www.growweedeasy.com/cannabis-grow-lights

EMERGENCY a few of my leaves are changing color and dying and shriveling what should i do

Comment

Could those incandescent bulbs be too hot? Causing it to burn the plant.?
      "Life is not about being dealt a great hand but playing a poor hand well"...

•Roots Organics over kindsoil in 5gal fabric pots

•600w hps supplement w/Kind LEDs during flower

•4" can-fan w/can-filter(carbon)

•14,000btu air conditioner

Comment

• GanjaGed
        GanjaGed commented
        Editing a comment
        If you look in the background theres a "normal" LED bulb so I doubt it. But if he's running those as close as you would a CFL they will light burn the plant. I ran mine at about 6-8 inches from the plants and they did well, but when I first used them I damn near killed things using them like CFL's lol.

• Yourhero
        Yourhero commented
        Editing a comment
        the bulbs are pretty far off the plant and i have a light breeze on the plant to make sure they dont burn

• Californiakid
        Californiakid commented
        Editing a comment
        If the lights aren't causing light burn, my experience where leaves yellow and dry that fast is a ph problem. When the ph is too far off it can lock out nutrients. At least that was my last issue .
        Hope you get figured out soon.

Looks like Nitrogen deficiency. Could be a pH lockout issue. Here is more on the deficiency: http://www.growweedeasy.com/nitrogen...iency-cannabis
      Here is the soil nutrient pH level chart:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	soil-ph-chart-marijuana.jpg Views:	1 Size:	218.8 KB ID:	127142
      You basically need to have your pH between 5.5 and 7.5+ to avoid a lockout with Nitrogen. If your pH is 5.4 for example, the Nitrogen won't be absorbed.

Comment

• Yourhero
        Yourhero commented
        Editing a comment
        i check my ph before and after i add nutrients as i do not add nutrients every time i water.

• Yourhero
        Yourhero commented
        Editing a comment
        i havent added nutrients for two or three watering periods 3-4 days in between watering.

• ellz
        ellz commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok. You should shoot for a pH of about 6.5 each time you add (with nutes or not) so that sounds okay. What are you feeding the plant? Could just need to increase the amount of something to improve it.

I'm going to offer an opinion, please take it as that, just what I think I'd do.

If I had seeds or could get some fairly easily, I get that there are places this isn't possible, I would scrap the plant.

It's now 3 months old, honestly I think it's weak from the rough start it had and I suspect you'll be fighting problems with it the entire time. You've upped your lights a bit, you're active here for advice, and to me it just seems in those circumstances starting fresh would be the better option.

I could be totally wrong. Cannabis in veg state is very resilient and can be saved the majority of the time, and if getting seeds is an issue, then you gotta go for the save.

Best of luck
      The Great and Secret Garden Indoor-Hydro-LED-Perpetual

The Ganja Ged Thread
      Water Curing Experiment
      My E&F System

If you get confused, listen to the music play!

Comment

• Aloner
        Aloner commented
        Editing a comment
        Not to pile on here but I fully agree with Ged -- unless it's super difficult for you to get more seeds, cut your losses and start over. You got some valuable experience out of this grow that would be better served on a plant that hasn't been hobbled like this one has. It could come back but there's no way your potential yield hasn't been seriously compromised.

If you decide to keep it going I really hope that you prove me wrong!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X