$50 Peltier water cooling.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$50 Peltier water cooling.

Recently been looking at the Peltier cooling devices very inefficient but we're going to see if they work. Started at 75 degrees looking at 66 right now it's been less than 3 hours wow maybe this shit works. The dwc people might be interested in this. There's several videos online everything is available at Amazon, everything works on 12 volts consists of the Peltier unit heatsink with fan and the 12 volt water pump.

Thanks for posting this. I was actually about to build my own. I am starting with a fan and duct blowing into the reservoir and may add a liquid cooler as well.
    Last edited by ellz; 07-15-2017, 01:46 PM.
    Whoever's growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations! You have won a cruise! Report to security to claim your tickets.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ellz GrowCam Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...pnwuazYQD6URA/
    Ellz GrowCam Time Lapse Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1nS2a9LvXEdmya

1st Hydro Grow: 600W MH/HPS Homemade Bubbleponics Homemade Cabinet - White Poison (White Widow x Durban Poison) COMPLETE! Final yield: 10.2 ounces off 2 plants. 124 days total from seed (34 days vegetative + 90 days flower)

2nd hydro - Peyote Cookies and OG Kush https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-mh-strain-tbd COMPLETE! Final yield: 11.8 ounces combined, 2.7 ounces of Peyote Cookies (150 days from seed), 9.1 ounces of OG Kush (138 days from seed).

Comment

Same here I just added the second unit I'll put pictures on a little while. I think this thing might get the water temp down to the mid-50s we'll see

Comment

I failed to mention the second unit was a whopping $18 shipped Amazon

Comment

• ellz
          ellz commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you have this mounted in your grow area? If so, did it increase the heat in the area? I am growing in a cabinet so any extra heat could be an issue.

Could be mounted anywhere however the little 12 volt water pump I bought probably wouldn't pump more in about five or six feet. It's just an experiment right now see if it works see how cold it gets actually it may get too cold but I'm only trying to cool a gallon and a half right now will so we shall see.

Comment

No appreciable Heat.

Comment

Sammy does it have a thermostat or just on off switch ?
            Currently use 2 gal bubbleponics tank
            Using 150 Watt HPS
            Trying 300 watt LED
            General Hydro Nutes ,reg and organic
            Small 23" x 21" area

Comment

It's just on and off right now just check the temperature after about 10 hours I'm freaking out.

Comment

Something else I failed to mention as the water temperature dropped the pH also dropped I don't know if this coincides or it's just me freaking out☮️ also just assuming if the water temperature stays low they'll be less pH fluctuation that's just me thinking out loud don't know.

Comment

• ellz
                ellz commented
                Editing a comment
                As water temperature decreases, pH will shift towards decrease and vice versa.
                Last edited by ellz; 07-15-2017, 06:01 PM.

• ellz
                ellz commented
                Editing a comment
                pH is calculated by the number of hydrogen ions in solution. At a pH of 7, the hydrogen and hydroxyl ions have equal concentrations, 1 x 10-7 M, keeping the solution neutral 27. However, these concentrations only hold true at 25°C. As the temperature increases or decreases, the ion concentrations will also shift, thus shifting the pH value 27. This response is explained by Le Chatelier’s Principle. Any change to a system at equilibrium, such as adding a reactant or altering the temperature, will shift the system until it reaches equilibrium again 28.
                The equation:

H20 H+ + OH-

is an exothermic reaction 28. That means if the temperature of water increases, the equation will shift to the left to reach equilibrium again. A shift to the left decreases the ions in water, increasing the pH. Likewise, if the temperature were to decrease, the equation would shift to the right, increasing the ionic concentration and decreasing pH.

However, that does not mean that temperature changes will make a solution more acidic or basic. Because the ratio of hydrogen and hydroxyl ions remains the same, the acidity of water does not change with temperature 28. Instead, the entire pH range shifts, so that neutral water will have a value other than 7. Pure water will remain neutral at 0°C (pH is 7.47), 25°C. (pH is 7.00) or 100°C. (pH is 6.14).
                Water temperature measures how hot or cold water is. It affects most water quality parameters and plays a major role in aquatic life and habitats.

Thanks for posting this. I have always wondered about actual results for this. Big thanks for documenting it. I could never find actual testing for these systems in my research.
              Completed #1: http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...dwc-apocalypse

My forever grow.

2x400w MH/HPS (veg 6/2 /flower 12/12)

100w t-5 (nursery)

6"can fan and filter 480cfm max set to 240cfm exhausted outside.

Blue Planet Nutrients Farmer's Pride Organic
              5gal. Eco Oganics pots.

Coco soil and pearl

Light cycle: 6/2 veg. 12/12 flower

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-well-sort-of

Friendly advice:
              If you want to grow top shelf weed, arm yourself with knowledge:
              http://www.growweedeasy.com/basics

Comment

Do you know how many amps you are pulling to run the whole cooler? Or if you could give me the volts (I am assuming that is 12V) and the Watts I could figure it out.
                Whoever's growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations! You have won a cruise! Report to security to claim your tickets.
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                Ellz GrowCam Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...pnwuazYQD6URA/
                Ellz GrowCam Time Lapse Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1nS2a9LvXEdmya

1st Hydro Grow: 600W MH/HPS Homemade Bubbleponics Homemade Cabinet - White Poison (White Widow x Durban Poison) COMPLETE! Final yield: 10.2 ounces off 2 plants. 124 days total from seed (34 days vegetative + 90 days flower)

2nd hydro - Peyote Cookies and OG Kush https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-mh-strain-tbd COMPLETE! Final yield: 11.8 ounces combined, 2.7 ounces of Peyote Cookies (150 days from seed), 9.1 ounces of OG Kush (138 days from seed).

Comment

The original design was just to have a Peltier on top have it blowing cold air like into a freezer or fridge but I decided to try both to see which one works better obviously they both work going to have to find out some sort of T stat for this thing cuz the water is getting too cold.

Comment

Peltier is advertised at 12 volts 3 amps don't know about the cooling fan assist a standard 4 inch I guess 120mm whatever fan and then the water pump 4.8 if I remember correctly picture is the package water pump came in.

Comment

Right now everything's on a 12 volt marine battery hasn't dropped any voltage at all in 10 hours obviously it doesn't pull a lot I think a relatively small power supply would do the trick nicely maybe about the price of a 60 watt light bulb running all the time.

Comment

? ellz , you've obviously done your homework on temperature and pH I didn't realize they went hand-in-hand so much? Are you a teacher, physicist I thought Stoners weren't that freaking smart thanks. Valuable information

Comment

• ellz
                        ellz commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I am just a really big nerd. I majored in geography and environmental sciences.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X