Making LED lights ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making LED lights ?

Has anyone tried making their own LED light fixtures ?
    I have made CNC machines and other projects and order parts from a company called Marlin P Jones I think they are down in Florida and have all types of electronic components and LEDs . And the power supplies cheap . I know you can get inexpensive LED lights on amazon but I am thinking about making a few smaller units to cover the lower parts of the plant and try to get rid of blind spots in my grow room . They also have all size pancake fans and heat sinks . Just a thought . My insomnia has kicked in tonight so 4:00 am and mind racing .
    Currently use 2 gal bubbleponics tank
    Using 150 Watt HPS
    Trying 300 watt LED
    General Hydro Nutes ,reg and organic
    Small 23" x 21" area

I'm currently working on building two led light bars using 24w and 28w (w/UVB) LED screw-in type bulbs for additional lighting during flowering. I have all the pieces...just haven't put them together yet.

I will def post pics when I do finish them though
    Current Grow: seeds in July 3rd, 2017

7'x6'x8' custom built room w/ exhaust and carbon filter
    3 (1 not in use yet) 600w IPower dimmable MH/HPS

Top Fed DWC Bubbleponics
    GH Trio, Hydroguard, and GH Ph kit.
    Strains: all Seedsman, all Feminized, all Fast.
    2 Cinderella 99 x Blueberry
    1 Power Africa x MK Ultra
    2 Big Nugs
    Training: Nebula's modified manifold technique w/ LST as needed.

Comment

hey medman if you can find a place to purchase the correct leds then have at it ,I found some cheaper bars and they sell strips now as well that you can attach to any frame work
      new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
      current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

Recently retired from 45 years as a design engineer and have SERIOUS doubts you can even hope to roll your own for less than they cost to buy, and the performance won't be nearly as good. Not even if you consider your time worth less than zero dollars per hour. You can't seriously attempt it without a custom printed circuit board, and having designed many of those I know what is involved. Also the LEDs used for grow lights are MUCH different from the kind you find online for pennies each -- grow LEDs put out many different spectral lines and are typically at least 3 Watts each, preferably 5 watts or even more. GalaxyHydro buys parts by the gazillions and gets excellent prices. They use automated assembly machines which can place five or ten parts on a board PER SECOND, you can perhaps do one or two per minute. And odds are roughly 99.9999% you will get something in backwards and fry it.

Bottom line: Don't try this at home. Buy a 300W Roleadro unit for $65-70 on Amazon and be happy.

Comment

I've never done anything like this but I do watch a lot of YouTube growers. What I've seen them say is that the best leds are white COBs with cree chips I think. Greengenes help develop pacific light concepts check him out. And there's one grower called growmou5 or growmouse and he has a lot of DIY led fixture tutorials and step by step instructions. I hope you can find useful info in there

Comment

There's a couple of videos on how to make your own LEDs one Guy Did It averaging over 2 grams per watt. And there is only one problem is it's freaking $1,700 I would buy the kind LED for that kind of money. Not. Do some research on the correct wave links Amazon has everything you need I think it's actually cheaper to buy one already built ,price of should be coming down hopefully. Very interested please keep posting.

Comment

I'm with Zativa, I always grew outdoors and still do but this time I read Nebulas articles on LEDs cause I wanted to try to grow a plant inside without having to fight snakes and f-cking blood thirsty mosquitoes and bought a cheap 89 buck 300watt GH LED light that surprised the f-ck out of me with the harvest I got. Probably gonna get at least 5 or 6 ozs maybe more , of dry rock hard buds that smell as good as anything I have ever grown in damn near 50 years of growing pot outdoors.
            Cfls for a week or two
            315lec for everything else
            Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
            36x36x63 inch tent.
            6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
            Smart pots
            Molasses
            Autoflowers

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X