Coco Coir - LED - Purple Ryder Autoflower Grow Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coco Coir - LED - Purple Ryder Autoflower Grow Journal

So, due to my lack of confidence in seed germination, I cheated and waited till my seeds actually germinated before starting this grow journal. But I do have all pertinent information recorded. Still a little hesitant because they are still seedlings and might go kaput any time. Also this is my first time growing an autoflowering strain. So, here goes.

Strain: Purple Ryder Autos
    Number of seeds: 3
    Breeder: Seedsman
    Grow Medium: Coco coir + perlite
    Grow Lights: 2 x Roleadro LED GRow Light Full Specturm 300 watts (actual wattage draw = 124 watts)
    Environment: 2 feet x 2.5 feet x 5.6 ft Grow Tent

Germination
    I used to try and make germination really complicated (add beneficial bacteria, soak seeds in light nutrient solution etc.) and I pretty much got 0% germination rates and rotted seeds. This time, I tried something different. Here are the tools I used:

1. VIVOSUN Seedling Mat 10" x 20.75"
    2. VIVOSUN Digital Seedling Heat Mat Thermostat Controller (I believe this is my saving grace this time)
    3. General Hydroponics Rapid Rooters
    4. EarlyGrow Small Domed Propagator, 8.5" x 7" x 5" (probably the most durable thick propagator tray I've found)
    5. Small Rapid Rooter tray that fits inside the propagator

What I did
    06/24/2017

1. Plugged in the mat and put a glass of municipal tap water (Washington, DC) on it. Threw in 3 Purple Ryder Auto seeds in it and they all floated.
    2. After a few hours, I just used my finger and stirred around and all 3 seeds sunk to the bottom.
    3. 24 hours later, inspected visually, and all 3 seeds cracked opened.

06/25/2017
    1. Got 1 liter of RO Water and added 1 mL Clonex Solution to it. Don't ask me why?? However, the solution measured out to 130 ppm (RO Water started out at 0 ppm) & pH 6.1.
    2. Put in 3 Rapid Rooters in the solution, squeeze them in the solution and the air got squeezed out and the solution got sucked into the rooter.
    3. Took each rooter out and gave it a slight flick to flick off the excess solution and placed it in it's individual chamber.
    4. Placed each seed (tried to place them pointy end down, but I was too shaky and didn't want to damage the stuff inside the seed, so they kind fell in however) into the rapid rooter hole.
    5. Pinched off the side of each rooter a bit of rooter material and stuck it loosely into the hole.
    6. Covered the tray with the dome.
    7. Plugged the mat into the Heat Mat Thermostat Controller and set it to 77 F.
    8. Sat the dome on the mat.
    9. Clipped a 60 watt CFL Grow Light Bulb of 5500K about 3 - 4 inches above the tray.

06/28/2017
    1. 2 seeds germinated!! I figured going from 0% to 66% germination rate wasn't too bad. LOL.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	_file1498656454496.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	495.2 KB
ID:	112163
    2. I would keep a spray bottle of tap water and made sure that the rooters were moist everyday. The dome vents were opened the entire time.

06/29/2017
    1. Continued to keep rooters moist with just plain tap water spray. Seriously hoping that the middle one would sprout. But nothing.

Name:	_file1498744924021.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	309.1 KB
ID:	112164

Transplanting

06/30/2017
    1. Couldn't wait for the last seed anymore, figured it died, so I started transplanting.

Side Note: 1 seedling is supposed to go to a friend who wants to start growing. So, right now, I would designate them as PR (Purple Ryder) Auto 1, and PR Auto - Gift

Pot Order Mess Up
    Long story short, my order of fabric pots got all messed up so I ended up transplanting PR Auto - Gift to a 1 gallon fabric pot and PR Auto 1 into a 3 gallon fabric pot. These were the only 2 I had left.

PR Auto 1

Name:	_file1498848819672.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	478.0 KB
ID:	112168

PR Auto Gift

Name:	gift.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	112167

Moved both pots now into my grow tent.

Comment

06/30/2017 - Slow Poke

Well whaddya know? Slow poke decided to germinate!!!

Name:	2019-06-30-Purple-Ryder-Auto-2.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	112170

Comment

Slow poke will now be designated as PR Auto 2. I call her germination date as 07/02/2017. She needed help. I think 2 things happened:
        1. I might have stuck that piece of rooter material too tight into the hole.
        2. When she popped up, I had to flick off her seed hull.

Name:	_file1499003195448.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	112173

Comment

07/03/2017
          Transplanted PR Auto 2 (aka Slow Poke Auto) into a 2 gallon fabric pot.

Name:	_file1499102552681.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	519.8 KB
ID:	112175

Moved her along with the other guys into my tent.

This whole time only dribbling all 3 seedlings with only tap water.

Comment

Now the fun begins..... because it's going on real-time now. No hiding behind failed germination etc..... LOL. Wish me luck everyone!!!

Comment

Keep an eye on that one, she'll probably be the champ!
              4X4 Gorilla with Solar Storm 440 LED. Coco / perlite, 5 Gallon fabric containers. LST and scrog. Grows to date all Indica Dominant Hybrids

2018 Grow Journal Here -->> (Blackjack, Super Skunk, Critical CBD)

2017 Grow Journal Here -->> (AK 48, Wonder Woman, Master Kush)

Comment

• Aloner
                Aloner commented
                Editing a comment
                50 days in, my late starter is one of my biggest plants!

🌱 What pretty seedlings you have! I may have missed it, but what nutrients are you using with the coco coir? 🌱
              (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧*:・゚✧ Poof!

Comment

• growdc
                growdc commented
                Editing a comment
                No berrypilot. You didn't miss anything. I hadn't started them on anything yet. But when I do, it will be Advanced Nutrients Connoisseur Grow A & B, B-52 & Rhino Skin. I've only used 1 brand of nutrients in my short growing experience, but am realizing now, that I'm literally buying water, paying for water to be shipped and probably paying someone's salary to write those fantastical stuff about nutrients. But before I can really think about anything else, I got like $1000 worth of nutrients to use up. YES, I'M THAT GUY!!!!

• berrypilot
                berrypilot commented
                Editing a comment
                🌱 Hey, if the nutrients work and you're happy then that's all that matters! I know AN is insanely expensive, but people on here do seem to get good results with it. Growing is a constant learning experience of figuring out what works for you! Even if you spend $1000 on nutrients, if you get a good harvest it will still be totally worth it in the end because weed is EXPENSIVE to buy!

Just in my (rather limited) experience, I feel like seedlings grown in coco coir or hydro seem to grow faster if they get seedling-strength nutrients from the beginning. I believe it's because coco coir and water naturally contains zero nutrients, so the seedlings only get what nutrients are contained in the seed itself (and the Rapid Rooter), until you start adding nutrients to the water. In soil the seedlings have nutrients from the beginning since there's a ton in the soil, so you know they can handle it!

But your seedlings look great so definitely they are happy with what you're doing! It's what's worked for me, but that doesn't mean it's the right way or best way. Actually, you just inspired me. I should do an experiment someday and grow half the seeds in coco with plain water, and half with seedling-strength nutrients, to see which ones grow faster in the beginning. You could try it yourself, too, giving some of your plants seedling-strength nutrients, and some plain PHed water, to see if it makes a difference! 🌱

07/04/2016 - Fed 1/4 strength Nutrient solution

Got a little lazy to post yesterday. But update on these little girls.

1. Put 1 L of RO water into a container.
              2. Added 1 mL Advanced Nutrients Connoisseur Grow A & 1 mL Advanced Nutrients Connoisseur Grow B
              3. Added just a pinch of MycoGrow Soluble powder. (start early to inoculate with beneficial stuff).

ppm = 410 & pH = 5.8

Just dribbled the solution around all 3 plants until used up. No run off yet. Keeping it slow and steady.

Also finally gifted PR Auto - Gift today. So left with just 2 plants.

Name:	2017-07-04-PR-Auto-1.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	446.4 KB
ID:	112734Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-04-PR-Auto-2.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	112735

Note: Thought that 410 ppm was a little high, but luckily no signs of nutrient burn. In fact, PR Auto 1's leaves got much bigger. Slow poke PR Auto 2 is doing fine, just about a few days younger.

Comment

07/06/2016

Skipped 2 days of watering. I understand that IT IS POSSIBLE to over water in coco if the seedling roots are not well established yet. They seem to be doing fine despite of 2 days of NOT watering. In fact PR Auto 1 grew much bigger leaves.

Today watered each with 500 mL of RO Water + 1/2 mL of General Hydroponics CaliMagic at 350 ppm's. Figured that fulfilling the coco coir's CEC (whether it needs it or not, that low levels of CaliMagic shouldn't hurt). Just did not want to water with plain RO water as it will disrupt the osmotic pressure of the roots.

Purple Ryder Auto 1

Name:	2017-07-06-PR-Auto-1.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	454.6 KB
ID:	113212

Purple Ryder Auto 2

Name:	2017-07-06-PR-Auto-2.JPG
Views:	436
Size:	422.8 KB
ID:	113211

Comment

I'm subscribed for this grow, as I am trying the same, coco/perlite, 3 gal fabric bag, nutrients, purple Ryder,LED, etc..right behind you, just above ground and fed today for the first time.
                  Looking to see if it's easier in hot weather than my usual soil grows.
                  It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
                  https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
                  https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
                  http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
                  https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

• growdc
                    growdc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Weed Pharma. Oh no. Now you got me nervous!!! The less people watching, the more opportunity I can F up silently. Lol.

Well, for what it is worth, I am not the most experience grower, but you can be sure that I am a really really anal grower!!

I am still learning about the plant's botany, but I do have a much stronger foundation in chemistry which I believe is a good thing when dealing with coco coir's cation exchange capacity and how it works with nutrients.

I am however still trying to decide if I should finish up my ridiculously expensive Advanced Nutrients fertilizers or go old school with powdered fertilizer.

I usually get too impatient too fast.

Here is to our Purple Ryder's!!

• Weed Pharma
                    Weed Pharma commented
                    Editing a comment
                    growdc, every new seed/clone/grow makes all of us beginners- all over again, LOL

07/08/2017

Cleared out small tent, so it has just the space for my 2 PR Auto's. Set up ring irrigation.

Fertigated with 1 L each a solution of
                  - 1 mL GH CaliMagic/L
                  - 0.25 mL Clonex Solution/L
                  - 100 mg of MycoGrow Soluble/L (100 ppm)

Total ppm = 380 ppm & pH 5.9.

Plan is now to inoculate the 2nd time with beneficial stuff. Thoroughly water through the coco - coir. Let it sit for a day without watering and start drip irrigation once a day till run off first until significant growth and increase frequency. Seems like this automated drip ring irrigation technique makes them explode.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2017-07-08-PR-Auto-1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	391.4 KB ID:	114120Click image for larger version  Name:	2017-07-08-PR-Auto-2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	400.8 KB ID:	114121
                  Last edited by growdc; 07-10-2017, 12:29 PM.

Comment

• growdc
                    growdc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh, in the meantime, I'm soaking some nasty Amazon dirty ass clay pebbles in distilled white vinegar pH'ed up to between 4 - 4.5 pH. Letting it sit for 24 hours and rinsing off with tap water. Just to use a top dressing so evaporation and splashing don't happen too often.

🌱 Isn't the pH supposed to be between 5.5-6.5 in coco coir? Isn't 6.9 a little high? 🌱
                  (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧*:・゚✧ Poof!

Comment

• growdc
                    growdc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for catching that!!!! Fat fingered it. 5.9!!! Thanks again @berrypilot!! Just corrected that.

Sorry, been a little busy (lazy) lately.

07/10/2017
                  Started feeding with nutrient solution 1x a day. Was really tired that day and meant to make up a 0.25 strength solution but for some reason did 0.5 strength solution at 730 ppm & pH at 5.8. Dribbled about 1 mL of the following beneficial stuff directly onto media before watering:
                  - Voodoo Juice
                  - Piranha
                  - Tarantula
                  - Orca
                  - Mammoth P

Why so many you ask? Well, I just want to use them up. Went crazy and bought too many before I knew anything about anything.

Woke up the next day and realized that I started off too strong, was aiming for close to 400 ppm. But didn't see any nutrient burn, so continued feeding it like that.

Nutrient Solution Mixture (in RO Water):
                  - Advanced Nutrients Connoisseur Grow A & B
                  - Advanced Nutrients B-52
                  - Advanced Nutrients Rhino Skin

Name:	2017-07-10-PR-Auto-1.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	385.9 KB
ID:	115430Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-10-PR-Auto-2.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	394.9 KB
ID:	115429

Comment

07/12/2017
                    I am upping the feeding to 2x a day now. They seem to be just doing fine. Temps are around 75 F & RH at 55%. Same nutrient mix as I make a reservoir of it. Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-12-PR-Auto-1.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	527.9 KB
ID:	115433Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-12-PR-Auto-2.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	571.5 KB
ID:	115432

Comment

• berrypilot
                      berrypilot commented
                      Editing a comment
                      🌱 *Tear* They've grown so much already! 🌱

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X